Losing Cole Swider | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Losing Cole Swider

I know it's different seasons, but how do you think losing a guy with a cool name like Cole Swider compares with losing Jordan Tucker to JB's great friend, the mighty K? (other than me already having a song parody partially done for Tucker, based on a Pearl Jam song named Clean Frank?) Which is the bigger (non, according to some of you)loss?

Time to admit we are UGLY. A very ugly program that a lot of kids with talent see us as stylistically ugly. Perception leads to rejection. We are the big zit of college bb. There is a reason JB hates man to man D; he could never play it well. He also was a tweener, not strictly a guard or a forward. That 65-66 team was composed of tweeners. The one kid you could call a guard in the traditional sense was Richie Cornwall.
I think JB was influenced in his early coaching days by his playing experience at SU to a greater degree than he is now. Walk it up slow down bb and zone D are not what the talent out there wants. Things change and JB's change is in the opposite direction.
The shots at JB’s playing days are unnecessary.
Go watch the 1987 season. We switched between m2m and zone.

JB’s zone has shown it works in the tournament most recently. Since 2010 we have been eliminated by a conference rival 3 times Marquette 2011, North Carolina 2016, Duke 2018.
That isn’t a coincidence. They knew how to play against us. The 2012 Ohio State game John Higgins screwed us.

Our problem hasn’t been defense. It’s been offense. If 2013 had a decent offense it probably wins it all.

We don’t recruit enough shooting. It’s not the D. Against conference opponents the D isn’t as good but in the tournament it works.

Because even Sister Jean can make the Final Four once or twice in a century, duh. ;)

Seriously, even teams like that have hardcore fans. Are we spoiled? That's a question worthy of it's own thread, in my opinion. Should we expect more or, be satiated where we are? That's the issue at hand. Our mediocrity would be treasure to the bunnies like the Bonnies. Oops, bad example at the moment(NY's CBB Team title belt holders), but you get what Im saying.

I think we should expect more. But now people say the only thing that matters is championships. So when we were having great regular seasons and kind of underperforming in the tournament, people say that only the Tournament matters. Now we’re having bad regular seasons and have had nice tournaments and people have moved the goalposts to the other side of the field.

Since 2009 we have three Sweet 16’s, an Elite 8, 2 Final Fours and 2 R32’s. Only Carolina, Duke, UConn, Nova, Kentucky, Louisville and Michigan are definitively better than us over the last 10 seasons.

JB’s zone has shown it works in the tournament most recently. Since 2010 we have been eliminated by a conference rival 3 times Marquette 2011, North Carolina 2016, Duke 2018.
That isn’t a coincidence.
I’d have a problem with a defense that only works out of conference. Do you know silly that premise is if we took it literally?

The tournaments show that offense is more important. JB’s formula should be great offense, passable defense. Instead he recruits for great defense and everything else is an afterthought. Woody Hayes would be proud.

I’d have a problem with a defense that only works out of conference. Do you know silly that premise is if we took it literally?

The tournaments show that offense is more important. JB’s formula should be great offense, passable defense. Instead he recruits for great defense and everything else is an afterthought. Woody Hayes would be proud.
I don't think it's only effective out of conference. I don't think it's ineffective in-conference. We lost to Kansas this year. Some teams have trouble with it, some don't—depends on their personnel and coaching, like anything else. The zone gets discussed a lot because it's an anomaly, but a lot gets attributed to it that might be less relevant than is credited. It does make teams play differently. It can make teams uncomfortable. And it changes the statistics.

I kinda agree with you, that offense is critical in the tournament. Versatile offense. Villanova won a big game when they didn't shoot 3s very well, and then this last game, they did shoot them well. For teams that don't have strong balance, O and D, and all through the lineups, it's really a crapshoot as to who moves through the field. Single eliminations both reveal and obscure truth.

I would argue it's a defense that works well in conference, and exceptionally well out of conference in the NCAAT.