Lots of parity this year... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lots of parity this year...

Take the Top 8-10 teams and have them play a round-robin if you want to determine who has the best team.

Actually, that would be fun to watch but an awful lot more fans would just be watching it.

Take the Top 8-10 teams and have them play a round-robin if you want to determine who has the best team.

Actually, that would be fun to watch but an awful lot more fans would just be watching it.

Would you rely on the polls to select the top 8 - 10 teams? The same polls that almost only drop a team if its loses, regardless of competition or how it may play in its wins. Those same polls that will continue to elevate a team so long as it keeps winning and teams in front of it lose, without regard to who the winner/loser may be playing?

If it were going to be an 8 or 10 team tournament, I would like to see double elimination. One and done isn't a great recipe for crowing the "best" team. It does make for a really exciting tournament environment however......every game matters.

We need to see how this team plays VS decent M2M before any serious prognosticating continues. That BU zone was a joke. No Brimah as well. It was encouraging seeing them play pretty well against zone (unlike the UConn game) but this won't be the norm.

Would you rely on the polls to select the top 8 - 10 teams? The same polls that almost only drop a team if its loses, regardless of competition or how it may play in its wins. Those same polls that will continue to elevate a team so long as it keeps winning and teams in front of it lose, without regard to who the winner/loser may be playing?

If it were going to be an 8 or 10 team tournament, I would like to see double elimination. One and done isn't a great recipe for crowing the "best" team. It does make for a really exciting tournament environment however...every game matters.

For both football and basketball, I'd have 4 polls: the writers, the coaches, computers, (all the mathematical forumals) and the fans. The fans poll would be voted on by the season ticket holders of FBS schools, who would have pins issued by the school and be able to vote through their website. Every submission in every poll would be a top 25. They would be collated in each category on a 25 points for 1st, 24 for second, etc. basis. A top 25 for that category would be published and then the four categories would be collated in the same fashion for an overall top 25. Decisions about what should be an 8 team playoff in football and this round robin in basketball would be based on the combined poll.

For both football and basketball, I'd have 4 polls: the writers, the coaches, computers, (all the mathematical forumals) and the fans. The fans poll would be voted on by the season ticket holders of FBS schools, who would have pins issued by the school and be able to vote through their website. Every submission in every poll would be a top 25. They would be collated in each category on a 25 points for 1st, 24 for second, etc. basis. A top 25 for that category would be published and then the four categories would be collated in the same fashion for an overall top 25. Decisions about what should be an 8 team playoff in football and this round robin in basketball would be based on the combined poll.

Yeah, a fan poll would go over real well. Every team's fan base would vote their team #1 and their archrivals #128.

Those same measuring sticks are used for seeding which resulted in 13 higher ranked teams losing in the 1st round including 2 teams ranked in the top 12 (Michigan St and West Virginia) both losing to teams "ranked" over #55. What's more fair than allowing your performance on the court to determine winners?

Are you saying we should have been anointed in 1991 to an 8 team playoff and that Richmond's win wasn't "fair" because we were better on paper than them? (despite my own heartbreak) :(

Yeah, a fan poll would go over real well. Every team's fan base would vote their team #1 and their archrivals #128.

A few would. And they'd have to list the other teams in rank order. And it's 1/4 of the system. And it would create great interest.

Those same measuring sticks are used for seeding which resulted in 13 higher ranked teams losing in the 1st round including 2 teams ranked in the top 12 (Michigan St and West Virginia) both losing to teams "ranked" over #55. What's more fair than allowing your performance on the court to determine winners?

Are you saying we should have been anointed in 1991 to an 8 team playoff and that Richmond's win wasn't "fair" because we were better on paper than them? (despite my own heartbreak) :(

I'd like to see the top teams in the country go head to head instead of having to walk over hot coals to get to a confrontation we've all been waiting for. The underdogs have the psychological advantages in in those early round games.

I'd like to see the top teams in the country go head to head instead of having to walk over hot coals to get to a confrontation we've all been waiting for. The underdogs have the psychological advantages in in those early round games.
If the higher ranked team can't handle that psychological advantage, they don't deserve to win that game or any other.

College basketball is not a very popular sport nation-wide. It's tied for 6th with soccer after the four major pro sports and college football. So in that sense, college hoops desperately needs the NCAA tournament to stay relevant, because it's so incredibly entertaining to the casual fan.

But Ish is right, it's a relatively lousy way of determining a champion due to the pure randomness of it. It's the ultimate Catch 22. Everyone wants to see Cinderella runs in the early rounds, but nobody wants to see George Mason in the Final Four.

I don't understand why College Football fans are telling College Basketball fans why their sport isn't entertaining. I don't think it's entertaining that everyone knew Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State were all but pegged for the playoff in August. Theres like 6 teams that even have a chance to win the National Title. How is that entertaining? That's being wayyy to predictable and BORING IMO.

If College Basketball wants better ratings, start the season in January and be a spring sport so you don't compete with football. You can rag on the regular season all you want, but a couple of our games against Duke and UNC a couple years ago had just as good of ratings as regular season NBA games.

College basketball is not a very popular sport nation-wide. It's tied for 6th with soccer after the four major pro sports and college football. So in that sense, college hoops desperately needs the NCAA tournament to stay relevant, because it's so incredibly entertaining to the casual fan.

But Ish is right, it's a relatively lousy way of determining a champion due to the pure randomness of it. It's the ultimate Catch 22. Everyone wants to see Cinderella runs in the early rounds, but nobody wants to see George Mason in the Final Four.

So mens pro basketball isn't much popular than College Basketball according to the Harris Poll. In fact Auto Racing is the most popular sport after baseball and football. I don't hear calls to change the NBA or NHL.

If College Basketball wants better ratings, start the season in January and be a spring sport so you don't compete with football. You can rag on the regular season all you want, but a couple of our games against Duke and UNC a couple years ago had just as good of ratings as regular season NBA games.

Some merit to this, but for me some of the allure of the NCAAT is in the fact that it winds up before we hit decent weather. It would be lot harder for me to watch a boat load of games if it was 75 degrees and sunny outside. I would have kids sports to deal with, golf, etc.

I like Cinderella runs when we make them.

Syracuse is probably a lousy place to measure the national popularity of college basketball. I think we like it because we're good at it.

Some merit to this, but for me some of the allure of the NCAAT is in the fact that it winds up before we hit decent weather. It would be lot harder for me to watch a boat load of games if it was 75 degrees and sunny outside. I would have kids sports to deal with, golf, etc.

I think it's highly appropriate for ever sport to be either a fall or a spring sport. It's got to be tough on the players to have their sport impact both semesters. And I'd rather the blizzards take place when we are scheduled to play North Florida than Duke. let's play Duke when the birds are chirping. People will still come.

I don't hear calls to change the NBA or NHL.

I personally don't want to change the NCAA tournament -- I find it extremely fun. I'm just saying objectively that the NBA playoffs, while less entertaining, is a better way to determine a champion.

I personally don't want to change the NCAA tournament -- I find it extremely fun. I'm just saying objectively that the NBA playoffs, while less entertaining, is a better way to determine a champion.

The problem I have with the NBA is the same problem as college football. It's way too easy to have a dynasty. I don't think it's exciting we know we are going to end up with Warriors/Cavs and Alabama as the National Champion. That to me shows the regular season is pointless.

The problem I have with the NBA is the same problem as college football. It's way too easy to have a dynasty. I don't think it's exciting we know we are going to end up with Warriors/Cavs and Alabama as the National Champion. That to me shows the regular season is pointless.

Since 2010, 6 different teams have won the NBA title (Lakers, Mavs, Heat, Spurs, Warriors, Cavs)

Bama is going to have to beat two extremely good teams in Washington and OSU/Clemson to win it all. I don't think it's by any means a foregone conclusion.

Since 2010, 6 different teams have won the NBA title (Lakers, Mavs, Heat, Spurs, Warriors, Cavs)

Bama is going to have to beat two extremely good teams in Washington and OSU/Clemson to win it all. I don't think it's by any means a foregone conclusion.

You could have picked all of those title teams in the NBA for those years outside of the Mavs. Do you think we end up with any teams in the Finals outside of Warriors/Cavs barring injury?

You just proved my point in College Football. I watch little of it outside of Syracuse and most casual fans could have predicted OSU and Clemson in the playoff as well this year. It wasn't a surprise outside of Washington. Still think Bama takes it, but if it's OSU or Clemson that still isn't much of a surprise.

I think it's highly appropriate for ever sport to be either a fall or a spring sport. It's got to be tough on the players to have their sport impact both semesters. And I'd rather the blizzards take place when we are scheduled to play North Florida than Duke. let's play Duke when the birds are chirping. People will still come.
Marsh (and others) will be on the golf course.

I'll take your money easily. If Alabama loses, it's because they all came down with the flu.

How many NBA teams have won a championship since 1980?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom