Louisville announces self-imposed postseason ban | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville announces self-imposed postseason ban

If I were Lee or Lewis I wouldn't play anymore and I would petition the NCAA for an extra year elsewhere.
NCAA can make up whatever rules they want. Like when the Duke LAX players lost a season because of Mike Nifong. The NCAA gave all those players an extra year when they lost a half of a season.

Lewis/Lee should get the same benefit.

Devil's advocate--what did the NCAA do? This was Louisville self-imposing a ban.

Someone probably sent Pitino a heads up with what was going on to his .edu account when it was going on and he deleted it then to claim ignorance. The speed of the this tells me Louisville found more and the more is pretty serious and I would not be all that surprised if Pitino quits to take an NBA job somewhere.

Pat Forde calls Pitino's denial "credible". Lol. He is such a joke.

Yes he is.

Called it above. He's a clown with ZERO credibility.

Their board is suggesting a self-imposed ban.
That's unrealistic .. they can't go without wh**es for more than a few weeks.

Oh, ma bad, you meant the post-season.

Devil's advocate--what did the NCAA do? This was Louisville self-imposing a ban.
The NCAA didn't ban Duke when they cancelled their season after LAX incident. The NCAA on its own gave all those players an extra year of eligibility. If I were the NCAA and I care about student athletes I would do the same for 2 kids who are completely getting screwed.

It would good press for the NCAA. It makes too much sense so it won't happen.

That would effectively eliminate the possibility of a team self-imposing a postseason ban. I'm not sure how that would be a good thing for the sport.
Why? If a team is going impose a ban during the season then those players on the team are suffering an unforessen penalty. Thus, the NCAA could say if you are angry at your school we won't make you sit out the following year if you want to leave the school.

The players should be allowed to leave without sitting out. I am not saying all the kids would want to leave but I am not a fan of in-season bans. I said last year I felt super bad for Rak but I understood the decision and wasn't upset we did it because it was pragmatic.

It would be ironic if our NCAA chances were helped by:

1) The tournament committee deciding to ignore the results of the Hopkins games, when we went 4-5, just as the NCAA is ignoring the results of 108 games JB team's won.

and

2) Another tam that would have had an NCAA berth, Louisville, voluntarily gives it up due to their indiscretions.

Problem with your #1 is that this isn't just headlines--these allegations have been confirmed by current / former Louisville players and recruits.

Frankly, the story is not clear. There are conflicting reports and several of the players have said that no one was paid and it was just "girls dancing in swimsuits". The "strippers" named in the book are also suing the author claiming they are not strippers. Just because they're imposing penalties doesn't mean they're guilty--it could just as easily mean that they just know that the NCAA has disregarded their side of the story and is going to hit them hard.

I'm neither a Louisville or a Pitino fan. But it bugs me that I'm reading the exact stuff on this board that incensed me last year on G-town and UConn message boards-- "Boeheim's always been a cheat. Look, there's proof they're all paying players and keeping them academically eligible by doing their work for them. No one would willingly play BB in a place like Syracuse unless they were getting envelopes of cash. All the SU players have serious drug problems that the school ignores." etc etc.

I may not know what's going on in Louisville, but I know this: If the NCAA can screw this up, they will screw this up.

Frankly, the story is not clear. There are conflicting reports and several of the players have said that no one was paid and it was just "girls dancing in swimsuits". The "strippers" named in the book are also suing the author claiming they are not strippers. Just because they're imposing penalties doesn't mean they're guilty--it could just as easily mean that they just know that the NCAA has disregarded their side of the story and is going to hit them hard.

I'm neither a Louisville or a Pitino fan. But it bugs me that I'm reading the exact stuff on this board that incensed me last year on G-town and UConn message boards-- "Boeheim's always been a cheat. Look, there's proof they're all paying players and keeping them academically eligible by doing their work for them. No one would willingly play BB in a place like Syracuse unless they were getting envelopes of cash. All the SU players have serious drug problems that the school ignores." etc etc.

I may not know what's going on in Louisville, but I know this: If the NCAA can screw this up, they will screw this up.

Where have you been since October?

Who pays a Madam thousands of dollars for girls to dance in swimsuits? Follow the money.

My guess is that it was booster money and maybe even dirty money. Who was the booster and did he have deeper interests? Could be a Fast Eddy idiot car dealer or groupie working for the local Y, or could be more nefarious. No way would it be University money. The ncaa charge will be lack of institutional control.

We have 7 games left, current record is 16-8. I hate looking ahead, but let's just say for argument's sake that we win the next two against BC / FSU. That puts us at 18 wins, with 5 more games. Two are home [Pitt, NC State] and three are on the road [UNC, Louisville, FSU].

None of those 5 are gimmes. Can we get two more W's to get to the magic number of 10 conference wins? If we do, I'll breathe a lot easier. But I also wouldn't mind seeing us tack on another W or 2 in the ACCT just to put us safely over the line. Even if it is BC, it is more about the numbers than it is the opponent by my way of thinking. I'd rather have 21 wins on selection Sunday than 20 or 19.

There is no "magic" number of wins. However, there is a number of wins that if we reach we will likely have built a good enough resume. Subtle but important difference.

I have always said 9 wins, with no bad loss in first game of ACC is likely that magic resume number. It moves our RPI from a projected mid 60's to low to mid 50's. And that is big -- while RPI is far from the end all, once you are in the 60's it's my opinion is that it is hard to get a fair look at the rest of your resume.

If for some reason we are still deemed a little short early in selection week, then we need something relevant to help us in the last week to sway the committee -- and being forced to play an extra game against BC is worthless if we are looking for something to add to our resume. It does not add top 50, top 100 record. Number of total wins is an irrelevant metric. So as the prior poster said, such a game is clearly a no win proposition because while it has zero chance of helping us, it could take us out with a loss.

Last edited:
Part of the logic in SU's self-disqualification last year was that we were having a down year and weren't likely to make the tourney anyway. Louisville is competitive this year. They just knocked off UNC. Do they regard this as a down year for them? Would they rather take the hit this year than next when they feel they will have a stronger team? Or do they just want to put it behind them for recruiting purposes?

Sorry if this has been talked about upstream. I haven't read the whole thread.

Last edited:
The NCAA didn't ban Duke when they cancelled their season after LAX incident. The NCAA on its own gave all those players an extra year of eligibility. If I were the NCAA and I care about student athletes I would do the same for 2 kids who are completely getting screwed.

It would good press for the NCAA. It makes too much sense so it won't happen.
I'll throw out the name Terrel Hunt who got denied an extra season by the NCAA. He got through the mid 1st qtr of his 5th year before it was over. These two Louisville guys are getting full seasons. I don't feel bad for them.

Frankly, the story is not clear. There are conflicting reports and several of the players have said that no one was paid and it was just "girls dancing in swimsuits".
Just because the players & recruits didn't see any money exchanged doesn't mean that there wasn't any money exchanged. ;)

The ex-assistant was apparently the middle man: had access to the money source; had access to the players & recruits and their schedules; arranged for "special friends". If this went on for years, it's hard to believe that Slick Rick didn't hear about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom