Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations

In a way our penalties were the beginning of the end for the NCAA. Everybody saw the unfairness of the ruling, and all said no more helping or admitting anything. People started fighting back and a paper tiger was exposed.
I think that Syracuse should always use JB's real win total. Screw them, what are they going to do? Fine us $5000?

Louisville didn't self report either.

I don't know what bothered me more, self reporting or Keith Smart.
Good question! I still get bigger heart burn over Keith Smart. Self reporting was the correct thing to do, unfortunately NCAA did not see it that way. My largest bother was UNCheaters. I will never, ever understand the two faced NCAA for Syracuse but a "pardon" for the cheaters.

Our problem was, we treated the NCAA like an authority. Other schools treat them like what they truly are, a powerless bunch of money grubbing nitwits.
yep, we bent over for them like Kevin Bacon in Animal House. thank you sir, may I please have another sanction?

In a way our penalties were the beginning of the end for the NCAA. Everybody saw the unfairness of the ruling, and all said no more helping or admitting anything. People started fighting back and a paper tiger was exposed.
Good perspective on the unfairness. The harm can never be undone but the NCAA must give JB back his wins. Maybe some law school group needs to take this on as a project. Continue to expose the inequities and unfairness of the toothless NCAA. There are certainly a bunch of meaningless and gutless decisions stacked up by the NCAA over and over since the ruling against Syracuse. I for one never consider the lesser number for JBs wins.

I'm shocked. When all this was first released this was the end. People were going to pay, the government was involved. This was big...no. We got played and someone in the NCAA had to despise JB.
JB got caught twice, and self reporting was stupid.

Good question! I still get bigger heart burn over Keith Smart. Self reporting was the correct thing to do, unfortunately NCAA did not see it that way. My largest bother was UNCheaters. I will never, ever understand the two faced NCAA for Syracuse but a "pardon" for the cheaters.

Keith Smart really hurt but looking at the lack of punishment received by schools that fought the ncaa has made me a firm believer in never self reporting even if it is the right thing to do.

We are so bad at this. Worst cheaters in terms of bang for the buck. We somehow manage to get cited for murder for jay walking while they murder and get cited for jay walking
Keith Smart really hurt but looking at the lack of punishment received by schools that fought the ncaa has made me a firm believer in never self reporting even if it is the right thing to do.

the right thing to do with the NCAA is to not cooperate with them and at the same time sue them, they will run like the wimps that they are.

Louisville didn't self report either.

I don't know what bothered me more, self reporting or Keith Smart.
For me it's the self reporting. In this century SU was still treating this as if it was the same environment as the time of probation 1. By the 2010's other schools had given SU the fight the NCAA at every turn blueprint.

The phone number for the NCAA is 1-317-017-6222 I just called them and after a small wait, got through. I got my licks in. The guy immediately said he couldn't talk to me and was going to put me through to some phone message line that I am sure no one listens to.

The only way JB gets his wins back is posthumously.

That would be disgusting. I know we got in trouble a few times and I know JB isn't a saint, but he deserves those wins, Syracuse should use his real win total in comms, and they should continue to pressure to get them re-instated.

That would be disgusting. I know we got in trouble a few times and I know JB isn't a saint, but he deserves those wins, Syracuse should use his real win total in comms, and they should continue to pressure to get them re-instated.

I'd argue that both times, we got hammered by the NCAA over administriva kind of violations. And in both cases, we were made an example of -- whereas programs that committed the same / similar violations within the next few years were dealt with much more leniently. And making things worse, programs that committed what should be viewed as more serious infractions also were allowed to skate.

Just shows how arbitrary and capricious the NCAA has been as an enforcement agency. Total BS.

Last edited:
I'm a bit conflicted by these sanctions. I'm annoyed because, on the surface, it appears as though the NCAA has lightly slapped Louisville on the wrist and delivered a mild scolding. On the other hand, by dragging this whole thing out for years, they have effectively destroyed the Cardinal basketball program. They lost a scrimmage to Lenoir-Rhyne, for pete's sake. If the NCAA had issued a "Death Penalty" back when it happened, I'm not so sure Louisville would have suffered as much as they have. They might even have recovered by now. As it stands, they've got issues.

Why isn't the school pushing the envelope here?

Why don't we sue the NCAA for what they did to us while not doing it to other schools. It's the same thing they accused us of with the drug program - unequal enforcement.

I'm a bit conflicted by these sanctions. I'm annoyed because, on the surface, it appears as though the NCAA has lightly slapped Louisville on the wrist and delivered a mild scolding. On the other hand, by dragging this whole thing out for years, they have effectively destroyed the Cardinal basketball program. They lost a scrimmage to Lenoir-Rhyne, for pete's sake. If the NCAA had issued a "Death Penalty" back when it happened, I'm not so sure Louisville would have suffered as much as they have. They might even have recovered by now. As it stands, they've got issues.

The problem I have with this frame of logic is that they did the same to us -- dragged out our investigation for 8 years, IIRC. Then, they dropped the hammer on top of that.

The sanctions hung over our program for nearly a decade, then we got the double whammy at the end, with penalties that were excessive, out of whack with precedent, and which haven't been levied since.

If they'd gone through that 8 year process and then fined us $5000 and docked us a single scholarship for 3 years like they did with Louisville, I don't think our fanbase would be worked up. But instead, we got blitzkrieged. And then when programs got nailed for infractions that are far worse than what we were alleged to have done, they got off lightly.

The problem I have with this frame of logic is that they did the same to us -- dragged out our investigation for 8 years, IIRC. Then, they dropped the hammer on top of that.

The sanctions hung over our program for nearly a decade, then we got the double whammy at the end, with penalties that were excessive, out of whack with precedent, and which haven't been levied since.

If they'd gone through that 8 year process and then fined us $5000 and docked us a single scholarship for 3 years like they did with Louisville, I don't think our fanbase would be worked up. But instead, we got blitzkrieged. And then when programs got nailed for infractions that are far worse than what we were alleged to have done, they got off lightly.
This right here^^^
We were made an example of, despite self-reporting and doling out suspensions to Fab, Southerland, et al. We gave that org credibility because we assumed we’d “do the right thing” and not get hammered.
End result we lost a legit chance at another NC….and STILL got whacked! Pathetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom