Louisville Postgame Thoughts | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Postgame Thoughts

i'll take my chances.

bro has had at least 1 airball in the last how many games?

at one point he was 1 of 5 from the ft line yesterday...(did hit a few but come on)

besides, next year brown could also play forward as well...which would already mean if everyone came back taylor would start the year as 5th forward

but anyway, the idea of some mid major player not wanting to come in and get time on a big time team is asinine...there will be better options than taylor in the portal...even if it is just as a rebounder and defender.
Brown hasn’t played forward in 2 years. Idc what people say, red will keep him a 5 until he transfers or graduates

You aren’t getting a better forward who’s going to want to be fourth on the depth chart and willing to play Reds system when Bell and Freeman will play 60 minutes.
I think it's likely we'll play 3 guards and 2 forwards a lot next year, just like this year.

Other times, we will play 3 forwards and 2 guards.

If we still have McLeod, Carey and Patterson, they combined might get 20-25 minutes at any rate.
There will be minutes if we find a forward who is better than Taylor.

I think it's likely we'll play 3 guards and 2 forwards a lot next year, just like this year.

Other times, we will play 3 forwards and 2 guards.

If we still have McLeod, Carey and Patterson, they combined might get 20-25 minutes at any rate.
There will be minutes if we find a forward who is better than Taylor.
what??

that cant be the plan!

watching lynn the other night for Va Tech absolutely shred brown and huntley hatfield score at will every time he caught it...and filipowski and bacot etc - it cannot be the plan that SU rolls with the same centers next season!

I refuse to believe that.

Brown is awesome - great player - but poor rim protector

need at least 1 or 2 other centers brought in next season, imo

i think brown plays PF next year ...at least at times...and center when the matchup is good.

need an option or 2 for when the matchup is bad...and carey aint it.

Not sure who needs to hear this, but it’s ok to a) be extremely excited about the newfound trajectory of this season and also b) be concerned about our shocking inability to close out games. Those are both reasonable thoughts. It doesn’t have to be an either or.
They actually do eventually 'close out' most of these games; they just don't always do it in the way most of us would like to see.

what??

that cant be the plan!

watching lynn the other night for Va Tech absolutely shred brown and huntley hatfield score at will every time he caught it...and filipowski and bacot etc - it cannot be the plan that SU rolls with the same centers next season!

i think brown plays PF next year ...at least at times...and center when the matchup is good.

If McLeod comes back healthy, he's the incumbent starter.

But Brown was taking a lot of McLeod's minutes even before his injury. We have Freeman, Brown and Bell next year as forwards...

Under those roster circumstances, how good does a portal center have to be to think he can be a sure thing starter with those guys on the roster? If he's good enough to make a difference, he's good enough to want the guarantee, and there will be other schools that want him more than Syracuse will.

Besides, the three forward lineup isn't that bad. The problem isn't so much Brown at center as it is Taylor and Bell at forward. Taylor is too small to be a power forward, and until recently, Bell wasn't showing much ability to rebound and defend like a forward should.

With Bell invigorated and Freeman a proper power forward physical specimen, we should be fine with three forwards. With three centers on the roster, if we need to go taller, we can.

I expect the centers to get limited minutes unless there's a big unexpected shift, though.

what??

that cant be the plan!

We aren’t bringing in 2 centers. If the right guy is out there we will bring 1 in. That would be after a PG. one of Patterson/Carey/McCleod will be around. We have a McD starting at the 4 which means Brown is starting at the 5.

He could have made a difference in several games this year! Who knows, he may also have the leadereship skills this team strongly needs!

He's kind of a ghost at this point. There's really no sense talking about him playing any role next year until he can stay healthy for more than a couple weeks of practice.

The play just before the half where Judah just blows right by the defense for an uncontested dunk is up there.
I’m not sure if Ive ever seen worse defense in a play with 5 seconds left.

He's kind of a ghost at this point. There's really no sense talking about him playing any role next year until he can stay healthy for more than a couple weeks of practice.
Totally agree with your comment at this point. He has missed a lot of basketball!

We aren’t bringing in 2 centers. If the right guy is out there we will bring 1 in. That would be after a PG. one of Patterson/Carey/McCleod will be around. We have a McD starting at the 4 which means Brown is starting at the 5.
simply cannot have 4 centers on a roster that can barely contribute...i could see mcleod being a bench option...but starter?!? not even close (i wouldnt really choose a guy like mcleod as a bench option, though, either)

would be great to have a center that can score and shoot (for once!) so many other teams seem to find that guy...it would really open things up for this team

simply cannot have 4 centers on a roster that can barely contribute...i could see mcleod being a bench option...but starter?!? not even close (i wouldnt really choose a guy like mcleod as a bench option, though, either)

would be great to have a center that can score and shoot (for once!) so many other teams seem to find that guy...it would really open things up for this team

I stated that Brown will be our starting 5.
Reasons: Bell is your starting 3, Freeman is your starting 4, Brown is one of your best players who is currently starting at the 5

I said at least 1 of Patterson/Carey/McCleod will be back. Point being we aren't bringing in 2 portal centers when our starting center is returning and we have 3 other centers on the roster.

Reasons: Bell is your starting 3, Freeman is your starting 4, Brown is one of your best players who is currently starting at the 5

I said at least 1 of Patterson/Carey/McCleod will be back. Point being we aren't bringing in 2 portal centers when our starting center is returning and we have 3 other centers on the roster.

Well, the way players have improved in the last month or so, I feel a lot better about the existing forward and center rotation, if all these guys are back.

If Bell continues to apply himself defensively, continues to move without the ball, and keeps working on his midrange game, he has the potential to be a really outstanding small forward. I wouldn't have believed it, but he has gotten SO much better this last 4-6 weeks. It's remarkable. I can see him as a starting level SF on a top team, now.

So, that gives you Maliq and Donnie Freeman.

Donnie Freeman, at the end of last summer, still had the body of a preying mantis kind of SF, not strong enough to play down low, skilled for a big man, but not a legit 3. Now, watching the IMG / LaLumiere game, and how he completely dominated inside (granted LL missing a guy or two), wow, he's a new player than he was back in July/August. His body looks stronger. His mobility is terrific.

I can see Donnie and Maliq both playing defense close to the rim. I wouldn't have thought that about Donnie last summer.

OK, so if MacLeod can come back, and one of the other guys (Patterson or Carey) can play 5 minutes a game, we suddenly look pretty good. MacLeod has to be healthy enough to play 10 minutes a game, and 5 minutes from the other guy, and suddenly this rotation fits together a lot better.

Red has noticeably improved a number of players and has gotten guys playing together. This wasn't the case a month or two ago. The culture looks so much healthier recently. Guys are playing the way they're supposed to play, much more than we've seen before.

Last edited:

I would much rather have freeman, brown and bell. Anything brown gives up would be giving up by McLeod. He is slow and not aggressive. He is a terrible rebounder and blocks a few shots but is soft.

Well, the way players have improved in the last month or so, I feel a lot better about the existing forward and center rotation, if all these guys are back.

If Bell continues to apply himself defensively, continues to move without the ball, and keeps working on his midrange game, he has the potential to be a really outstanding small forward. I wouldn't have believed it, but he has gotten SO much better this last 4-6 weeks. It's remarkable. I can see him as a starting level SF on a top team, now.

Donnie Freeman, at the end of last summer, still had the body of a preying mantis kind of SF, not strong enough to play down low, skilled for a big man, but not a legit 3. Now, watching the IMG / LaLumiere game, and how he completely dominated inside (granted LL missing a guy or two), wow, he's a new player than he was back in July/August. His body looks stronger. His mobility is terrific.

I can see Donnie and Maliq both playing defense close to the rim. I wouldn't have thought that about Donnie last summer.

OK, so if MacLeod can come back, and one of the other guys (Patterson or Carey) can play 5 minutes a game, we suddenly look pretty good. MacLeod has to be healthy enough to play 10 minutes a game, and 5 minutes from the other guy, and suddenly this rotation fits together a lot better.

Red has noticeably improved a number of players and has gotten guys playing together. This wasn't the case a month or two ago. The culture looks so much healthier recently. Guys are playing the way they're supposed to play, much more than we've seen before.
A good post and I agree with your comments on Bell. Seems like something clicked in the past 4 to 5 weeks. Still needs to focus on keeping his emotions in control. I am also excited to see Copeland's level of play come next year. I hope he is still here and upping his ball control a bit. We need his explosiveness when he is on the floor for opponents to worry about. Key question for next year's team...who will step up and be the leader. The team needs a leader on the court and in the locker room. Finally, we need to address what has become a repeating problem game after game.... big first halves and disappearing act in the 2nd half. We need 40 minutes of offense and defense. We are seeing some big improvements in this team over the season. Got to give credit to Red and his staff. Keep rolling Orange and beat Clemson for number 21!

They won't take him out, Chase Hunter is the main ball handler so they will just not have Joe dribble as much - they'll run plays to get him open looks. PJ Hall gets lots of touches too so if Maliq can poke a few loose that might change Clemson's offense a bit.
It’s who do we have to battle 6’8” Ian Scheiffelin and 6’8” Jack Clark down low if Maliq is covering Hall, which I assume? I think Clemson’s ball handling might be their weakness and our ability to steal, quickness, create turnovers might be our strength.

need at least 3 playable centers and at least 2 playable power forwards

brown can play PF - freeman looks to be a starter from day 1...bell, taylor, Q, etc cannot really play PF...using two of those guys against teams like UNC Tenn and FSU is just asking for a beatdown.

who are the 3 centers and who are the (at least) 2 PFs?

for me, Brown is a good option at center but not vs everyone - he got abused by many teams this year - and the matador defense to not foul is unsustainable for a team with real ambition.

so who are the power forwards? freeman is a freshman and how he acclimates is a bit of an unknown as we saw with benny.

at minimum i think you need to bring in at least 1 PF and 1 C.

(and say good bye to some of the current "bigs")

I would much rather have freeman, brown and bell. Anything brown gives up would be giving up by McLeod. He is slow and not aggressive. He is a terrible rebounder and blocks a few shots but is soft.
McLeod has a long way to go to improve but he was our best rebounder per 40 mins

And there is a reason that string of 60% shooting games happened after he went down, what he lacks in mobility he makes up for in rim protection.

Those 60% games are driven by an INORDINATE amount of layups/dunks/putbacks, that weren't happening at nearly the rate when we had the ability to insert McLeod to stem the momentum in the paint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom