Louisville Postgame Thoughts | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Postgame Thoughts

Beating Notre Dame was low key a good win despite the record and quad ranking. They're dangerous and would love nothing more than to play spoiler. I'm glad that game was at Home and on Jim Boeheim Day, which probably gave our guys the juice to build that big lead.

Other than it wasn’t directed at Red…

No, it was. After he snatched the ball away from the ref and got the T, Autry yelled at him from the bench, and Judah was yelling back at him.

We are an outlier because other teams don’t have 7 15+ pt losses and don’t offset it by beating teams by 20-30 points. Our strong strength of schedule and win total is what is keeping us in the bubble conversation.

Margin of victory is more important in football than it basketball. Let's just start with that.

In hoops, you play to manage a lead on the road if you are ahead. Running out the clock may lead to more opponent scores. Then there is the idea of fouling to stop the clock. Sometimes that does reduce the lead, but sometimes balloons it even bigger.

These last 2 dynamics - milk the lead and foul if you're behind - are part of every game, but are not part of the proper "game flow" between 2 teams when the game is still competitive.

I think margin should be a minor stat - if the win is by one possession (3 points or less), or more than that.

Key IMO:
Judah needs to avoid getting derailed in "Me vs Joe" mindset.
Much improved of late-
Needs to play the game that resurrected SU's season, not the one for the cameras/scouts.
The Clemson game can be an exclamation point for Judah's season, if he lets it come to him.
I think it’s Bell vs. Joe. Here’s the game plan. Every time Joe makes a 3 pointer, Bell makes a 3 pointer. Then Bell makes 2 more 3 pointers and we win the game! The rest of the team is superfluous.

Ha ha ha ha!

Margin of victory is more important in football than it basketball. Let's just start with that.

In hoops, you play to manage a lead on the road if you are ahead. Running out the clock may lead to more opponent scores. Then there is the idea of fouling to stop the clock. Sometimes that does reduce the lead, but sometimes balloons it even bigger.

These last 2 dynamics - milk the lead and foul if you're behind - are part of every game, but are not part of the proper "game flow" between 2 teams when the game is still competitive.

I think margin should be a minor stat - if the win is by one possession (3 points or less), or more than that.
Right but multiple blowout losses where you know its a blowout loss with like 7ish min to play would generally mean a team is not good. I know we are playing better now but you can’t sweep these losses under the rug.

Watched the game this morning and just read this thread.
-amazed that anyone on this board is not grateful to get out of there with a win, and frankly, it really was never in doubt.
-Can say without question that was the best game in Bell’s career. He was absolutely terrific. Loved in the first half when he went to the floor for a loose ball. His progression reflects very well on Red and the staff.
-One thing I love about this year is the team is so athletic and we see a lot of exciting plays. From Quadir’s dunk and 360, to Judah’s dunk at the first half buzzer to Bell’s blocks to JJ’s chase down, this is the kind of stuff we have not seen in the last five years or so. Feels like we’re getting back to Syracuse basketball. And not having the zone has taken away the competitive disadvantage we were playing with.
-i’m not normally sympathetic to players getting a technical like Judah did, but I thought it was building because the referees had missed two obvious fouls against him going back to the first half. More importantly, there is no question that he is playing a more team friendly, less selfish basketball basketball that has not coincidentally coincided with our best play of the season. There is no way he would’ve looked for Taylor 10 games ago on that pass that led to a reverse layup.
-speaking of Taylor, if you are not happy for him after he has resurrected himself and gave us 40 extremely helpful minutes last night you’re probably not a real Syracuse fan.
-going to Clemson after they got their arses handed to them at Notre Dame and on senior night looks pretty difficult. Hoping for the reverse lock theory. But the big picture is that Red has somehow gotten 20 wins in the season with all the difficulties that we have discussed and this program is headed right back where it should be.

I hope Taylor comes back next year. He really could be an excellent 7th man off the bench if he continues to play like he is now. I can’t remember a season where just about every player has improved over the course of the season like this year. Everyone is better than they were in December.

I think it’s Bell vs. Joe. Here’s the game plan. Every time Joe makes a 3 pointer, Bell makes a 3 pointer. Then Bell makes 2 more 3 pointers and we win the game! The rest of the team is superfluous.

Ha ha ha ha!
I want to see if Copeland can take the ball away from Girard. If Girard turns it over too easily, they'll have to take out their best shooter.

I hope Taylor comes back next year. He really could be an excellent 7th man off the bench if he continues to play like he is now. I can’t remember a season where just about every player has improved over the course of the season like this year. Everyone is better than they were in December.
I still hold out hope he can fix his shooting issues in the offseason. I'm glad they've been having him work on his inside game. He's the type of kid who is so so easy to root for. Works hard, puts in the effort and wants to get better. The shooting this year is like Chuck Knoblach levels of head issues.

Wake Forest has 2 home games left and they would have tiebreaker if they win them both.They haven’t lost at home all year
We’d be rooting for Clemson on the road Saturday playing desperate to hopefully avoid a 3 game losing streak.

Either way just find a way to win on Tuesday and let the chips fall as they may in regards to seeding.

All I have to say, is those fans that dont want Judah or Bell back are freakin nuts.

If somehow we can get both of them back along w Cope, Maliq, JJ and the incoming frosh, that has the makings of a really good squad next season.

Red has really done a nice job bringing this group along.

I want to see if Copeland can take the ball away from Girard. If Girard turns it over too easily, they'll have to take out their best shooter.
They won't take him out, Chase Hunter is the main ball handler so they will just not have Joe dribble as much - they'll run plays to get him open looks. PJ Hall gets lots of touches too so if Maliq can poke a few loose that might change Clemson's offense a bit.

I still hold out hope he can fix his shooting issues in the offseason. I'm glad they've been having him work on his inside game. He's the type of kid who is so so easy to root for. Works hard, puts in the effort and wants to get better. The shooting this year is like Chuck Knoblach levels of head issues.
They clearly changed his release and he’s not comfortable with it. It’s something that needs to be done in the offseason. Not sure what happened because he made shots last year and early this season.

Taylor is a very good shooter. My guess is he has been playing with some kind of injury. He definitely has not played his normal offensive game. Hard to believe it’s a confidence issue

All I have to say, is those fans that dont want Judah or Bell back are freakin nuts.

If somehow we can get both of them back along w Cope, Maliq, JJ and the incoming frosh, that has the makings of a really good squad next season.

Red has really done a nice job bringing this group along.

To be honest, Judah and Bell a month ago were not playing nearly this well for the team. Both are now making a lot more plays that teams need to make if they want to win. You can't have 2 passengers on defense, plus another on offense in Taylor. They seem to be figuring out how to play as a real team late in the season.

Bell moving off ball.

Maliq-as-Draymond

JT being a guy that cuts and gets points at the rim.

All items that are recent. That’s coaching.
shouldnt have taken this long - those are basic basketball concepts

but its great that it has happened

and the coaches deserve a lot of credit for the improvements these players have made this year

its crazy that the season culd be done in a few games

or it could go on for weeks more...

i dont.

i want the forwards next year to be: bell, Q, freeman and portal forward (who can shoot and rebound)

I would be okay with taylor as the 5th forward - but why would he even want that? - which is like 10th or 11th in the rotation.

he's not good enough to be the 7th best player on a top 10 team (and that should be the goal)

We shot 39 free throws?? Crazy. Also only made 25. And Q fouled out in 11’. Three guys played 40 and one wasn’t Judah. Watched at a bar and didn’t realize any of that.

i dont.

i want the forwards next year to be: bell, Q, freeman and portal forward (who can shoot and rebound)

I would be okay with taylor as the 5th forward - but why would he even want that? - which is like 10th or 11th in the rotation.

he's not good enough to be the 7th best player on a top 10 team (and that should be the goal)
You aren’t getting a better forward who’s going to want to be fourth on the depth chart and willing to play Reds system when Bell and Freeman will play 60 minutes.

You aren’t getting a better forward who’s going to want to be fourth on the depth chart and willing to play Reds system when Bell and Freeman will play 60 minutes.
i'll take my chances.

bro has had at least 1 airball in the last how many games?

at one point he was 1 of 5 from the ft line yesterday...(did hit a few but come on)

besides, next year brown could also play forward as well...which would already mean if everyone came back taylor would start the year as 5th forward

but anyway, the idea of some mid major player not wanting to come in and get time on a big time team is asinine...there will be better options than taylor in the portal...even if it is just as a rebounder and defender.

Not sure who needs to hear this, but it’s ok to a) be extremely excited about the newfound trajectory of this season and also b) be concerned about our shocking inability to close out games. Those are both reasonable thoughts. It doesn’t have to be an either or.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom