Love Buddy but.. | Syracusefan.com

Love Buddy but..

20plus

2nd String
Let’s take him out of equations for a moment...
We would or could gain speed,ball handling, strength,and length.
I also know we have 5 guards so Hughes at the 2 is not happening.

I really like more size and athleticism in the backcourt AND 2 out these 3 of for the forwards
-Marek Quincy/Braswell plus a big

Some lineups to address the issues of size and rebounding. And yes their are potential concerns with these as well.

Goodine,Hughes, Quincy,Marek,Sidbe-best for zone and boards IMO!

Also like:
Carey, Goodine,Hughes, Quincy,Marek
OR
WITH Buddy, Hughes, Braswell, Quincy,Marek,

ball handling Improved if Carey has JG3 WITH Hughes Quincy Marek.

I do love what Buddy added in off season with size and mid-range and root like hell for lights out shooting from him.

Buddy is arguably the 2nd best/most capable scorer on the roster. The team’s best shot at success is with Buddy getting lots of minutes.

His length at the top of the zone is upper tier. He knows the rotations. He makes smart plays.

Switching Boeheim to 3 and Hughes to 2 makes more sense to me.

Quincy has not looked great so far.

QG may have been our best player in Italy.

I’ll agree that he hasn’t looked great for all of the other 2 exhibitions, but - he did have some spurts of solid play during both games.

Along with too much lingering on the perimeter and jacking too many 3’s.

Not enough data yet to make an informed judgment on any of the frosh. Fortunately, JB and the staff have a lot more from observing them in practices etc.

Last edited:
i think buddy will end up 2nd or 3rd team all conference this season. don't want him off the floor too much. imho
Yes, I hope to see him on the floor for 25-30 minutes a game with legitimate scoring threats who can't be ignored by defenses. If that happens, Buddy might lead the team in scoring.

i think buddy will end up 2nd or 3rd team all conference this season. don't want him off the floor too much. imho

He's the only guy i want over 35+ i wasn't a believer in the beginning but the kid showed what he is during acc play. Not sure 2nd or 3rd team this year but I can surely see it his last two.

He can hit 3’s and he’s going to have to to be a star. Just has to avoid shooting contested 3’s.
The fact that he can hit them doesn't mean he should. Our offense works better when people go where they're assigned. If Quincy goes outside, so does his defender. That places one more defender in our area of greatest strength. Sure it opens up the lane, but against Virginia that means squat. Can Jalen Carey get past Bennett's guards and can Bourama Sidibe beat a center who had more blocks last year than Ralph Sampson did in his freshman year. However, if he stays at 10-15 he draws his defender, opens up a lane and the outside and perhaps if he's fed the ball gives it up to a slasher or kicks it back out. He's not here for an NBA audition.

Let’s take him out of equations for a moment...
We would or could gain speed,ball handling, strength,and length.

I really like more size and athleticism in the backcourt AND 2 out these 3 of for the forwards
-Marek Quincy/Braswell plus a big

Some lineups to address the issues of size and rebounding. And yes their are potential concerns with these as well.

Goodine,Hughes, Quincy,Marek,Sidbe-best for zone and boards IMO!

Also like:
Carey, Goodine,Hughes, Quincy,Marek
OR
WITH Buddy, Hughes, Braswell, Quincy,Marek,

ball handling Improved if Carey has JG3 WITH Hughes Quincy Marek.

I do love what Buddy added in off season with size and mid-range and root like hell for lights out shooting from him.
I think any position that SU improves with more Carey and less Buddy seems flawed to me.

Last edited:
The fact that he can hit them doesn't mean he should. Our offense works better when people go where they're assigned. If Quincy goes outside, so does his defender. That places one more defender in our area of greatest strength. Sure it opens up the lane, but against Virginia that means squat. Can Jalen Carey get past Bennett's guards and can Bourama Sidibe beat a center who had more blocks last year than Ralph Sampson did in his freshman year. However, if he stays at 10-15 he draws his defender, opens up a lane and the outside and perhaps if he's fed the ball gives it up to a slasher or kicks it back out. He's not here for an NBA audition.

Forwards who don’t go to the perimeter don’t have success at this level. Guerrier is not a post player and should not spend most of his time there.

For clarity, his jumper isn’t just serviceable, it’s above average.

Buddy is arguably the 2nd best/most capable scorer on the roster. The team’s best shot at success is with Buddy getting lots of minutes.

His length at the top of the zone is upper tier. He knows the rotations. He makes smart plays.
I agree

but his lack of ball-handling is bad in today’s game

The foot speed is going to be killer at top of zone at times

and he is way below average at rebounding which is important at that spot believe it or not!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom