Love the myths that have taken root here. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Love the myths that have taken root here.

I just wish we ran more plays. The tempo of our offense absolutely sucks.

It's clear that Marrone's mentality, knowing our offense generally blows, is to milk the clock as much as possible and extend the game. Personally, it seems to me that we might as well play fast, try to get in as many plays as humanly possible, and hope one of them actually leads to a score. And maybe, just maybe, the pace will actually cause the defense to make a mistake.

It's clear that Marrone's mentality, knowing our offense generally blows, is to milk the clock as much as possible and extend the game. Personally, it seems to me that we might as well play fast, try to get in as many plays as humanly possible, and hope one of them actually leads to a score. And maybe, just maybe, the pace will actually cause the defense to make a mistake.

That shows me they don't trust our defense. Doesn't make them wrong but thats why you try to shorten games.

That shows me they don't trust our defense. Doesn't make them wrong but thats why you try to shorten games.

True, and yet we employed the exact same strategy last year when our D was solid.

So basically we don't speed it up if the D is bad, the D is good, or the O is bad. Presumably we'll pick up the pace when the O is good, and least needs the help.

Awesome.

we are 83rd in yards per play. remember that we're up there in proportion of plays that are passes. yards per attempt are generally higher than yards per carry (although there are some amazing rushing numbers being put up). given that we pass more than most teams, we should have higher yards per play than most

you can only slow down a game so much. we're getting enough possession to be 31st in punts per game but we're 88th in first downs. if the lack of plays came from fewer possessions, we shouldn't be 31st in number of punts

our abundance of punts implies that our lack of plays come from our lack of first downs.

So basically, the staff doesn't trust the defense, and doesn't trust it's quarterback, and even less the backup QBs. The special teams don't deserve to be trusted, and the fans can't be trusted to fill the Dome.

And people wonder why I've stopped watching.

So basically, the staff doesn't trust the defense, and doesn't trust it's quarterback, and even less the backup QBs. The special teams don't deserve to be trusted, and the fans can't be trusted to fill the Dome.

bad teams don't gain lots of trust. this is normal.
good fans still watch bad teams.
bad fans that are normal don't watch, accept they're not as good, and
bad fans that are weird don't watch but hijack threads thinking that whether they watch or not matters to anyone

Hahaha. Yeah and yet I keep coming back for more. Feel free to question my sanity.

True, and yet we employed the exact same strategy last year when our D was solid.

So basically we don't speed it up if the D is bad, the D is good, or the O is bad. Presumably we'll pick up the pace when the O is good, and least needs the help.

Awesome.

Damn you with your sound logic! Good D = don't need to score as much. Bad D = don't want the other team having the ball. All of it = frusterating. If we scored points it wouldn't matter as much one way or the other what the defense does.
Maybe it can't be fixed this year and I'm just having too hard of a time accepting that fact. Perhaps that WVU game skewed expectations to an unfair level?

I'll be at the Cinci game to see how it all plays out regardless. We SHOULD be able to score points vs Cinci since they give up alot of yards passing...

bad teams don't gain lots of trust. this is normal.
good fans still watch bad teams.
bad fans that are normal don't watch, accept they're not as good, and
bad fans that are weird don't watch but hijack threads thinking that whether they watch or not matters to anyone
I dub thee Thickburger.

the offensive identity is to be a smashmouth passing team that tries to confuse with different formations and player groupings. that's not exactly coherent but that's what it is. i base a lot of it on recruiting ameen moore. there are a million backs out there to go get, that's the one they picked. mobile qb is probably just an added bonus to them, if we get it, then great.

I would agree, if AAM was our only RB recruit. However, while we got him and Smith as bruisers, we've also recruited Gulley, Smallwood, Rene and Timbers who are obviously not. I think our goal is to be a multiple back offense (see: last year) and we just don't trust Smith or AAM enough yet to give them a bulk of the carries away from Bailey, for better or worse.

I think our QB recruiting is much more telling of where we are headed offensively. We've recruited one pocket passer, Loeb, and four running-types- Kinder, Miller, Broyld and Hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom