Low-fare Frontier Airlines coming to Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Low-fare Frontier Airlines coming to Syracuse

As a semi-frequent flyer, I'm definitely interested in the progress at Hancock. The sketches or renderings were underwhelming to say the least, so I'm hoping it's not more lipstick on a pig.

Additionally, as someone who lives in the western US, I was VERY disappointed that SYR didn't secure the grant to procure the United mainline route to Denver. Would have been sweet not to have to connect thru O'Hare or Newark for SU football/bball games.

As far as SW- I think it's a long shot SouthWest would ever come to syracuse, without a revenue guarantee. I'd be real curious to know what routes are seriously being investigated for additional legacy carriers, heck a jetblue flight to austin would work too as a connecting point. For me, and many folks I know, a direct to Dallas or points further west of Minneapolis (Delta) should be on the agenda this year. Just my 2 cents.

As a semi-frequent flyer, I'm definitely interested in the progress at Hancock. The sketches or renderings were underwhelming to say the least, so I'm hoping it's not more lipstick on a pig.

Additionally, as someone who lives in the western US, I was VERY disappointed that SYR didn't secure the grant to procure the United mainline route to Denver. Would have been sweet not to have to connect thru O'Hare or Newark for SU football/bball games.

As far as SW- I think it's a long shot SouthWest would ever come to syracuse, without a revenue guarantee. I'd be real curious to know what routes are seriously being investigated for additional legacy carriers, heck a jetblue flight to austin would work too as a connecting point. For me, and many folks I know, a direct to Dallas or points further west of Minneapolis (Delta) should be on the agenda this year. Just my 2 cents.
SYR airport is looking at BWI, DFW, LAS and Fort Myers as destinations they want to attract. I think Houston-Bush for United would be doable too if they can get a daily nonstop using a 70-76 seat Embraer.

The airport reno...should bring the airport up to comparable equivalence with most metros of 500K to 1.5M population. It is looking better than I first thought too. I thnik most will be impressed. IMHO, the airport still needs a few more vendors. A Wegman's sub shop to go would be a killer (just my thought). The airport has a ton of electrical plug ins at the seats now. It has a Pet Rest area, Mommy/infant rooms and a military reception center.

Last edited:
SYR airport is looking at BWI, DFW, LAS and Fort Myers as destinations they want to attract. I think Houston-Bush for United would be doable too if they can get a daily nonstop using a 70-76 seat Embraer.

The airport reno...should bring the airport up to comparable equivalence with most metros of 500K to 1.5M population. It is looking better than I first thought too. I thnik most will be impressed. IMHO, the airport still needs a few more vendors. A Wegman's sub shop to go would be a killer (just my thought). The airport has a ton of electrical plug ins at the seats now. It has a Pet Rest area, Mommy/infant rooms and a military reception center.

Nothing worse than landing somewhere with a long layover and there being no USO.

Check Fort Myers off the list. Great news for snowbirds and tourists.

Frontier to start non-stop flights from Syracuse, Albany to Fort Myers

So I'll bust in to this one and say if it were not for Frontier Airlines, I would have been royally screwed see we still have the house in Cinci that tenants destroyed and I was able to hop back and forth to from Cinci to Los Angeles like 15 times in the last year for like $70 average/flight. Pick the dates ahead and jpoin their club and keep and eye out for their "SAVE90" promos. I have purchased a ticket for $5 (the rest were fees to make it like $40)

Now having said that, you sit bolt upright (seats on their A319s do not recline) You have to pay for anything (two bourbons a coke and snack pack is $16.99)

As far as the cheap-o airlines go, Allegiant is IMHO best but don't think SYR has them yet. Spirit is the absolute worst. In any event, good to see Frontier in Syracuse.

It is funny this came up. My wife and I were waiting at the Orlando airport last week for our flight back to Syracuse when she saw a Frontier plane with a white animal on the tail. She wanted to know what it is. We ended up spending a lot of time looking at their fleet of planes, all of which have large pictures of animals on the tail.

Pretty cool.

Lockon Aviation Photography - Fleets

Yea the cool thong about that is they all have names and you remember the specific plane. I've flown on Sally (with a Mustang) like four times,

The one they have with a river otter is names "Pike", opportunity lost.

Cuse has Allegiant: They fly to St Pete, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando-Sanford, Raleigh-Durham, Chicago, Nashville and Myrtle Beach. A few of the cities are seasonal though...still it helps drive the prices down for the other domestics.

Love to see SWA come in and fly to BWI and weekend service to Islip.

So I'll bust in to this one and say if it were not for Frontier Airlines, I would have been royally screwed see we still have the house in Cinci that tenants destroyed and I was able to hop back and forth to from Cinci to Los Angeles like 15 times in the last year for like $70 average/flight. Pick the dates ahead and jpoin their club and keep and eye out for their "SAVE90" promos. I have purchased a ticket for $5 (the rest were fees to make it like $40)

Now having said that, you sit bolt upright (seats on their A319s do not recline) You have to pay for anything (two bourbons a coke and snack pack is $16.99)

As far as the cheap-o airlines go, Allegiant is IMHO best but don't think SYR has them yet. Spirit is the absolute worst. In any event, good to see Frontier in Syracuse.

Cuse has a pretty big relationship with Allegiant. they fly to 4-5 destiniation locations. maybe even more seasonal destinations.

Cuse has a pretty big relationship with Allegiant. they fly to 4-5 destiniation locations. maybe even more seasonal destinations.
They are flying 4 times a week for a few more weeks to St Pete which is huge for me. My wife flew last Sat from Syr to PIE with a return this Saturday...we bought the ticket a few weeks ago and it was still $200. You won't find that with even SWA. Southwest is becoming as expensive as the mainline carriers. I wish Jet Blue would add one more daily to JFK. Usually when I fly them there is an inefficient long layover at JFK. They are my favorite carrier of the Big 5 or so domestics.

Allegiant has a great program for Military and Military retirees to get priority boarding and free bags. Also, the chance to get free seat upgrades. However, most flights in/out of Syracuse are 90%+ occupancy so seat upgrade is limited.

The seating on the A-320/1 is tight but not any worse than sitting in the back for most domestics or those hideously small n tight RJs that love Syracuse.. The seat is comfortable to me for about 2 hours...fortunately most of the nonstops are less than 2 hours.

The only issue with Allegiant is they get a fair share of rookie or just plain stupid travelers. The good news you don't have any connections to make if they slow down the boarding process.

I wish Jet Blue would add one more daily to JFK. Usually when I fly them there is an inefficient long layover at JFK. They are my favorite carrier of the Big 5 or so domestics..

This. They had 4 daily's up till a few years ago. It also helped with red-eye connections from the west coast. It was always nice to hop on an early morning connecting flight to Syracuse that was appropriately entitled flight #44. But, they did away with that and parsed out the remaining flights through-out the day, which might work well for point to point travel to NY but, for connections are brutal lay-over wise.

As far as Allegiant & Frontier go, it's nice to see a low-cost carrier service war, as the more carriers the better. However, to truly drive down legacy carrier costs there needs to be more competition or service that open up new gateways to connecting travel. Somehow getting Southwest to fly to midway or BWI would check off a lot of bullet points and perhaps drive costs down on legacy carriers. Either way, it's good to see progress!

This. They had 4 daily's up till a few years ago. It also helped with red-eye connections from the west coast. It was always nice to hop on an early morning connecting flight to Syracuse that was appropriately entitled flight #44. But, they did away with that and parsed out the remaining flights through-out the day, which might work well for point to point travel to NY but, for connections are brutal lay-over wise.

As far as Allegiant & Frontier go, it's nice to see a low-cost carrier service war, as the more carriers the better. However, to truly drive down legacy carrier costs there needs to be more competition or service that open up new gateways to connecting travel. Somehow getting Southwest to fly to midway or BWI would check off a lot of bullet points and perhaps drive costs down on legacy carriers. Either way, it's good to see progress!

It's the same for Jet Blue from Burlington VT (BTV). Kills a whole day of travel just to get anywhere decent.

BWI and DFW (or Love) appear to be the next targets. Southwest might have waited too long and the Cuse market is much more competitive now.

Thanks for the update! Potentially terrific news! As long as these new proposed markets are utilized by a legacy carrier or one that can have an impact on connecting travel, it's great news and will drive down costs- exactly what I've been advocating for.

On a side note, I wouldn't lump SW in with the other "low-cost" carriers. They're model is much more hub/spoke and direct competition to legacy carriers as opposed to the frontier or allegiant model, especially for an airport like SYR. Hope we get some good news on this front, can't wait!

I have no insider knowledge on how it is going...but I saw a report and DFW and BWI are two airports they want to get service too. Traffic is up 12% this year. Some of that was the huge Bowling event but some was due to the economy and the low cost carriers.

frontier is also just a lot better than allegiant

Your experience may vary.
Allegiant's $15 insurance vs. $69 for Frontier. Bags are cheaper on Allegiant $18 vs $30 and $25 vs $40. You get a free drink on Allegiant for cardholders. I mean they are basically the same in terms of seat comfort.

Looks like Allegiant just added seasonal service to Ft. Myers area (competing with Frontier)... I like it! That underscores the value these airlines bring to the Syracuse market.

Looks like Allegiant just added seasonal service to Ft. Myers area (competing with Frontier)... I like it! That underscores the value these airlines bring to the Syracuse market.

Albany just had an announcement that its added Allegiant to Orlando (Sanford), St. Pete, and Punta Gorda. Goes with Frontier also just adding seasonal to Ft. Myers. Awesome for me because my sister and her husband just bought a place to winter in North Port. Lots of direct options to Florida - Southwest to Tampa, MCO, and Ft. Lauderdale; JetBlue to MCO and Ft. Lauderdale; Frontier to MCO and Ft. Myers; and Allegiant to Sanford, St. Pete and Punta Gorda.

Have to think the competition is good for the consumers. And that the Albany metro area is unimaginative when it comes to seasonal travel. ;)

Allegiant has just added a Syracuse-Sarasota/Bradenton route starting next Spring. It will fly twice a week and is slated to be year-round.

With Syracuse nonstops to Tampa, St Pete/Clearwater, Sarasota/Bradenton, Punta Gorda and Fort Myers on the west gulf coast I wonder if something gives?

Add in Orlando, Orlando/Sanford and Fort Lauderdale this is the most nonstops ever to Florida.

Allegiant has just added a Syracuse-Sarasota/Bradenton route starting next Spring. It will fly twice a week and is slated to be year-round.

With Syracuse nonstops to Tampa, St Pete/Clearwater, Sarasota/Bradenton, Punta Gorda and Fort Myers on the west gulf coast I wonder if something gives?

Add in Orlando, Orlando/Sanford and Fort Lauderdale this is the most nonstops ever to Florida.

economy is good.

surprised no nonstops to West Palm or Miami or even Daytona. My uneducated guess is the east coast is more popular in CNY that west coast. IMO by a wide margin.

I know a few folks who have now taken it to/from Denver, and Orlando. It's been described as a Metro North train with wings. I'm ok with that to Florida. Not sure if it'd venture much father though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom