Low-fare Frontier Airlines coming to Syracuse | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Low-fare Frontier Airlines coming to Syracuse

Hancock seems a lot more focused on point to point gateways, rather than focusing on destinations that would help with connections or filling in gaps with the Major airlines' hub and spoke model. Syracuse will never get an LA or PHX or San Fran route, but I don't get why there isn't more focus on the above, which would help all types of travelers as well as have the ripple effect of driving down costs. win/win... JMHO
Feeding hubs is still most important but the point to point airlines (Allegiant and Frontier) has increased travel out of SYR and helped to drive costs down. The major carriers just abuse markets like SYR with higher airfares.

I think SYR needs to get JetBlue to add another daily JFK flight, Delta to add another ATL flight, United to add a daily IAH flight and American to add a daily DFW flight.

I work here at SYR and the airlines are very understaffed as is and adding more flights would be a huge burden. The airlines pay there ramp agents very poorly and leads to massive turnover rates. Jetblue doesnt have alot of flights so i could certainly see them adding another jfk. United just added Denver so houston is probably out of the question. American has bumped its mainlines out as well, went from 2 mainlines to now 5 so dfw could happen but dont count on it.

Are the ramp agents contractor employees at all the airlines at SYR? I know that was a fallout from the recession. American mainlines to CLT and ORD?

Has anyone else curtailed using JetBlue?
Two flights a day to JFK makes it hard to get good connections to SYR.

Spoke with a travel agent in the know, she said Jet Blue's decision to scale back the early morning Syracuse flights are killing Hancock. She noted that certain destinations including multiple Caribbean islands are now impossible to reach flying out of Syracuse because people can't make their connecting flights in time. People now have to either fly out of Rochester or even Toronto to get to certain destinations. I will have to do it myself later in the year. Its become a real big issue and one the Airport is unsure how to solve as Jet Blue so far has resisted in bringing the flights back.

Schumer pushed for more Jet Blue flights. Got BOS and FLL added, lost a JFK. Used to have 4 Jet Blue flights to JFK now 2. Three is the minimum I think you need

Jeremy you can not get a good connection from Tampa to Cuse on Jet Blue anymore. Thankful Allegiant is there out of St Pete

Schumer pushed for more Jet Blue flights. Got BOS and FLL added, lost a JFK. Used to have 4 Jet Blue flights to JFK now 2. Three is the minimum I think you need

Jeremy you can not get a good connection from Tampa to Cuse on Jet Blue anymore. Thankful Allegiant is there out of St Pete

Was told the JFK flights are what is needed desperately. Currently certain locations require you to fly out of another airport or fly down the night before to NYC and stay the night to make the connection. The early morning flights to JFK are what they need more then anything.

Agree that Jetblue needs that early morning flight. It helps with both red-eye connections into Syracuse, and gets you into JFK for morning connections outbound. Add in a SW to BWI/Midway and AA to Dallas, as other priorities. Would love to see Allegiant to Vegas even if only a couple days a week. Bet it would fly pretty full.

Are the ramp agents contractor employees at all the airlines at SYR? I know that was a fallout from the recession. American mainlines to CLT and ORD?
American ramp is piedmont, delta is DGS, united is UGS(they get paid the best), Jetblue is gat, I think frontier is frontier, allegiant is truego dugan. All contracted which in my opinion hurts the airlines. Mainlines to CLT and ORD yes

Spoke with a travel agent in the know, she said Jet Blue's decision to scale back the early morning Syracuse flights are killing Hancock. She noted that certain destinations including multiple Caribbean islands are now impossible to reach flying out of Syracuse because people can't make their connecting flights in time. People now have to either fly out of Rochester or even Toronto to get to certain destinations. I will have to do it myself later in the year. Its become a real big issue and one the Airport is unsure how to solve as Jet Blue so far has resisted in bringing the flights back.
Delta flies to Jfk at 559 and 1130 out of here, starting yesterday Jetblue goes to JFK at 845

Delta flies to Jfk at 559 and 1130 out of here, starting yesterday Jetblue goes to JFK at 845

Right but they used to have a 630 or 6am flight that they got rid off that has affected people being able to fly Jet Blue out of NYC to multiple destinations as they can't make the connecting flights. They need to bring back that early flight.

American ramp is piedmont, delta is DGS, united is UGS(they get paid the best), Jetblue is gat, I think frontier is frontier, allegiant is truego dugan. All contracted which in my opinion hurts the airlines. Mainlines to CLT and ORD yes

delta is mainline to ATL too

Record month of August. 250K total enplanement/deplanements combined. Best since 1990...IIRC there was a mini-hub for USAir back then in SYR.

It appears the airport has been getting larger jets over the last year or two. Good news. They are challenging Rochester for totals for 2019 Still behind BUF and ALB. ALB is within striking distance but I doubt they will challenge them as they are adding low coast service lately and receive a ton of governmental business.

Last edited:
Record month of August. 250K total enplanement/deplanements combined. Best since 1990...IIRC there was a mini-hub for USAir back then in SYR.

It appears the airport has been getting larger jets over the last year or two. Good news. They are challenging Rochester for totals for 2019 Still behind BUF and ALB. ALB is within striking distance but I doubt they will challenge them as they are adding low coast service lately and receive a ton of governmental business.

Dallas and Houston. Houston and Dallas.

FWIW, my buddy is the CNY rep for Schumer. Said that a Cuse-Dallas route is a top priority and being discussed

Might get a direct flight to Greensboro out of this. They fly into Louisville and while I do not expect a direct flight there, I think it will be cheaper to get to and from Louisville and Syracuse.

It should help make flying to Miami easier and cheaper. Hope we start playing that school more so we can take better advantage of this.

Now just 1 airline to avoid at all costs instead of 2!
I only flew Frontier a few times about a decade ago. I didn't have any issues.

BL: it is best for those that are flexible. If they cancel a flight you might be delayed a day.

I only flew Frontier a few times about a decade ago. I didn't have any issues.

BL: it is best for those that are flexible. If they cancel a flight you might be delayed a day.
I have flown Frontier a lot over the last couple of years. It isn't great and yes, the nickel and diming is maddening, but even after all the additional fees are added in, I find them the cheapest way to get to FLA. I have their credit card and get decent miles rolled up. Actually getting some free flights. Not great but for the price, it is a good way for cheapos to go.

My early experiences on Southwest have been very positive and we might end up switching to them as our go to for flights to and from Florida in the future. The weird seating is a pain but there is a lot less nickel and dime activity. They don't have free TV like JetBlue but if you bring a phone and earphones, they provide some live TV and some movies for free, which is better than Frontier.

Southwest seems like a good sweet spot in terms of level of service and price.

I have flown Frontier a lot over the last couple of years. It isn't great and yes, the nickel and diming is maddening, but even after all the additional fees are added in, I find them the cheapest way to get to FLA. I have their credit card and get decent miles rolled up. Actually getting some free flights. Not great but for the price, it is a good way for cheapos to go.

My early experiences on Southwest have been very positive and we might end up switching to them as our go to for flights to and from Florida in the future. The weird seating is a pain but there is a lot less nickel and dime activity. They don't have free TV like JetBlue but if you bring a phone and earphones, they provide some live TV and some movies for free, which is better than Frontier.

The good news is you have choices now. Hopefully, SWA adds more service in the future.

For Florida, Allegiant has the most nonstops and cities to Florida out of SYR.

BL: If you want the absolute best chance to get somewhere important you are better with one of the majors. If you are somewhat flexible then the discounts fly somewhat below. SWA is slightly below the majors.

Southwest's new CEO says they may do away with their seating format.

The good news is you have choices now. Hopefully, SWA adds more service in the future.

For Florida, Allegiant has the most nonstops and cities to Florida out of SYR.

BL: If you want the absolute best chance to get somewhere important you are better with one of the majors. If you are somewhat flexible then the discounts fly somewhat below. SWA is slightly below the majors.
I have flown Allegiant a bunch too. It is my airline of choice for flying to the Tampa St Pete area.

Don't like it for flying to Orlando that much because it is the one airline that flies to Orlando that uses Sanford airport. I stay just west of Orlando so even flying into the main Orlando airport (MCO) takes like 45 minutes to get to my hotel. From Sanford, it is way over an hour. It is maybe 30 miles north and east of Orlando. Too long of a drive for me.

If you are hanging out north or east of Orlando, it might be a lot better to fly in there than into MCO. All depends on your needs. Agree, it is great to have a number of choices to fly into Florida now. Hopefully this merger doesn't somehow make things worse.

It seems most mergers do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom