Lowest attended Conference game since?... | Syracusefan.com

Lowest attended Conference game since?...

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Under 18,000 last night for an ACC game. The fans really are off the bandwagon and the ACC is just starting. I'm sure more people will be there Saturday because it's Pitt and a weekend game, but overall attendance will probably be down this year a good amount unless we can get on a winning streak here. In the second half they announced attendance at 17,500 or so. The upper deck was sparse and with the students not there even a good portion of the 100's were empty behind the basket. When is the last time we had such a small crowd for a conference game? I've had season tickets since 03 and I certainly don't remember any crowds as small as last night. Heck we usually draw 20K for Colgate and Cornell.

If we can string a few wins together, the attendance will be fine. I think last night was the first step in that. Remember, what is considered "low attendance" is relative. Even in our down years, we will outdraw 98% of the country. Hopeful that we win on Saturday and then are able to pump some life back into the program.

Edit: Just wanted to add, no students and impending doom of snow storm may have swayed some as well.

...last season. Looks like we had 16,701 for Boston College on Wednesday the 13th, which scraped by the 16,305 who showed up for Clemson the previous Tuesday. (By my count, two of the five smallest conference crowds in Dome history happened last season. The lowest ever was 14,322 for Rutgers on 2 January 2002.)

It's fortunate that we got the Final Four ticket bump, along with the clever ~250 long range view seats SU sold this season, or we'd be drawing similar numbers.

...last season. Looks like we had 16,701 for Boston College on Wednesday the 13th, which scraped by the 16,305 who showed up for Clemson the previous Tuesday. (By my count, two of the five smallest conference crowds in Dome history happened last season. The lowest ever was 14,322 for Rutgers on 2 January 2002.)

It's fortunate that we got the Final Four ticket bump, along with the clever ~250 long range view seats SU sold this season, or we'd be drawing similar numbers.

I skipped that Clemson game because I believe it was 8pm, the weather stunk, and the team was mehh under Hopkins at the time. I was at the BC game, just don't remember it being it so sparsely attended, but it makes since because I believe we were 0-4 in conference.

I skipped that Clemson game because I believe it was 8pm, the weather stunk, and the team was mehh under Hopkins at the time. I was at the BC game, just don't remember it being it so sparsely attended, but it makes since because I believe we were 0-4 in conference.

Yep, you remember Clemson well. We're a little spoiled by these 7:00 tips, it's so unpleasant when we get an 8:00 or a 9:00 on a weeknight. Makes it a lot easier to stay home.

This is semantics, but I think the ticket bump was more a result of the praise/hype around this team and the talent we allegedly had than carryover from the Final Four trip.

I remember the ride home from clemson taking an hour longer than normal because roads were closed all over and those that were open unplowed..

Edit: Just wanted to add, no students and impending doom of snow storm may have swayed some as well.[/QUOTE]

2nd Edit: Impending doom of snow storm and another loss . . .

Under 18,000 last night for an ACC game. The fans really are off the bandwagon and the ACC is just starting. I'm sure more people will be there Saturday because it's Pitt and a weekend game, but overall attendance will probably be down this year a good amount unless we can get on a winning streak here. In the second half they announced attendance at 17,500 or so. The upper deck was sparse and with the students not there even a good portion of the 100's were empty behind the basket. When is the last time we had such a small crowd for a conference game? I've had season tickets since 03 and I certainly don't remember any crowds as small as last night. Heck we usually draw 20K for Colgate and Cornell.

I know it's a disappointing crowd for our standards, but the fact that we can get a crowd of 18k for a team in a total downward spiral is kind of incredible. You can count on one hand the number of schools that have that type of fan loyalty.

UConn for instance would often play in a half-empty Hartford Civic Center even when it had elite teams, and Hartford is larger than Syracuse.

There were a lot of no-shows last night but that often happens when the team is not playing well. Our first ACC home game last year drew even fewer people when Hop was coaching. I've been going to games since the Dome opened and the crowd numbers have fluctuated a lot over the years. In 2002, Syracuse attendance only averaged 17,023 a game. Since the loss to BC a lot of fans were wondering if we'd win another game this season and I imagine quite a few of them didn't come last night. If the team plays like they did last night, the crowds will pick back up.

I was watching the Warriors vs. Trail Blazers game last night, and I believe they said the Warriors new arena will sit 18,500... 18,000 for a midweek game coming off a horrible loss to a mediocre BC team is basically a sellout in an NBA arena, I love it!