Loyola Postmortem - Buttermore could have been difference | Syracusefan.com

Loyola Postmortem - Buttermore could have been difference

G

Gone

There have been many comments that Cuse's lack of a dominant offensive force like Spencer was the difference. With all due respect to the excellent performances of Voigt, Rehfuss and Solomon both against Loyola and over the entire season, Buttermore consistently demonstrated a tremendous shooting IQ. Buttermore should have been played in all man-up situations and put out at critical points in games when Cuse needed a big goal. His shooting was simply outstanding all season (take a look at his Spencer-like goal on Stover in the Loyola game). I don't remember seeing him turn the ball over much all year.

Buttermore needs to be one of the top guys in the offense next year and kept on the field as much as possible.

There have been many comments that Cuse's lack of a dominant offensive force like Spencer was the difference. With all due respect to the excellent performances of Voigt, Rehfuss and Solomon both against Loyola and over the entire season, Buttermore consistently demonstrated a tremendous shooting IQ. Buttermore should have been played in all man-up situations and put out at critical points in games when Cuse needed a big goal. His shooting was simply outstanding all season (take a look at his Spencer-like goal on Stover in the Loyola game). I don't remember seeing him turn the ball over much all year.

Buttermore needs to be one of the top guys in the offense next year and kept on the field as much as possible.
Hard to argue with that.

I agree that he should have been put out on the field more in critical situations, but I think our man up unit was perfect as it was this season. We were actually 3rd in the nation in man up goal percentage this year and you only need so many shooters from the outside. Lipka Trimboli and Curry all did a solid job moving the ball and shooting from the outside. Although maybe he could have done a better job than Curry who was inconsistent from the outside at times.

Overall I certainly agree that his shot looked fantastic this year. He is a guy who clearly wanted to step up his game in the off season and made it happen. He is almost definitley a natural righty but he also had this insanely fast low to high shot lefty that completely froze up goalies. I can say from personal experience it is quite difficult to add a low to high shot with your offhand to your game. The muscle memory with how you flick your wrists on an underhand shot is ingrained in your head and hard to recreate with your offhand, let alone to shoot it 95mph from 15 yards and sting corners. Clearly he put in a massive amount of reps. The fact he was a second line guy is a testament to how great our first middie line was this year.

Spencer, Stover, Savio were the difference.

Our midfield players scored nine goals in the Loyola game and there were others that were stopped. Buttermore is a good player and part of the core .

Loyola loss was difficult, Cuse is still a good team that can be better

Looking forward to 2020

Your points are all valid. I agree that the team is good at pretty much all positions and has the potential to improve given experience of returning juniors and sophomores. What was probably the most puzzling aspect of this team is that the lapses (ND, UVA,,UNC and Loyola) were teamwide - had even one of offense, defense or special teams stepped for a big play, we could have won a couple of those games. We were a dominant force for 2/3 or 3/4 of pretty much every game except for ND and Colgate. Overall, middies were a real strength as was defense and goaltending. Hopefully big game experience from this season will pay off next year.

Your points are all valid. I agree that the team is good at pretty much all positions and has the potential to improve given experience of returning juniors and sophomores. What was probably the most puzzling aspect of this team is that the lapses (ND, UVA,,UNC and Loyola) were teamwide - had even one of offense, defense or special teams stepped for a big play, we could have won a couple of those games. We were a dominant force for 2/3 or 3/4 of pretty much every game except for ND and Colgate. Overall, middies were a real strength as was defense and goaltending. Hopefully big game experience from this season will pay off next year.

Haven't had a chance to do my season ending/recap post but your point about the entire team collapsing is 100% spot on and one of the things I noticed as well. Concerning to say the least.

Conversely , Cuse also had several comeback wins from large deficits against good teams where they dominated the fourth quarter looking like both the superior and better conditioned team. Ending the season on two tough losses distracts from the fact that they had a stretch of 9-2 after opener (should have been 10-1) which should not be dismissed. Team is trending up, Carcertera recognizes that and now projects Orange as top five team in 20'.

Not an expert on lax, but that's coaching.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom