Lunardi has 10 Big East teams in as of this morning. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lunardi has 10 Big East teams in as of this morning.

How much should they reward them for the KU and VCU games? They got blown out of the building in both. I understand the Collins thing but we can play that game all day long. Miami has missed key players at different points of the season that would have made a difference. I am sure the same could be said about other teams.

The difference on the missed players thing is timing. If you lose a player to injury at the end of the year and you are unlikely to have that player going into the tourney that tends to hurt a team's standing. If you gain a player early on and they then consistently play better as the season goes on, that tends to help.

Cheers,
Neil

I am going to assume that BE bubble teams will be getting the shaft this year. I predict 8 BE teams in. Too much backlash after last year.

If the bubble were stronger, I'd probably agree (although that should never be a factor).

But who do you take instead of USF?

Cheers,
Neil

Very similar numbers:

RPI -
USF - 53
NCST - 47

SOS
USF - 28
NCST - 25

Top 25 record
USF - 1-5 one win @Louisville
NCST - 0-7

Top 26-50 record
USF - 1-4
NCST - 1-0

Last 12
USF - 8-4
NCST - 5-7

Seems close to me. Like I said, I think the committee will look at USF from Collins onward. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. But I think two wins late by the Bulls (@L'Ville and vs Cincy) is slightly better than one nice win (Va.) and a close loss to UNC (without Henson).

Cheers,
Neil

NCState has six top 100 wins while USF has three. Look at NCState's losses. Almost all against very high quality teams and just about every game was very competitive. Same can't be said for USF which has some horrible losses- either blowouts or against very bad teams. NCState has been much more consistent and just has a better body of work. Henson didn't play yesterday but the zebras made up for it.

One other thing. This may not matter to you but NCState is the 5th ACC team being considered while USF is the 9th BE team being considered. You can say this shouldn't matter but if push came to shove it would. But as I said it's not a tie anyway.

fyi:

Bracketology Matrix update:

Last Four In:

USF
Seton Hall
NC State
Drexel

First Four Out:

Miss. State
Washington
Iona
Northwestern

Next Four Out:

Iona
Tennessee
Marshall
Dayton

Scratching my head at Seton Hall and Marshall (they should trade places, imho), but the rest are certainly defendable.

Cheers,
Neil

NCState has six top 100 wins while USF has three. Look at NCState's losses. Almost all against very high quality teams and just about every game was very competitive. Same can't be said for USF which has some horrible losses- either blowouts or against very bad teams. NCState has been much more consistent and just has a better body of work. Henson didn't play yesterday but the zebras made up for it.

One other thing. This may not matter to you but NCState is the 5th ACC team being considered while USF is the 9th BE team being considered. You can say this shouldn't matter but if push came to shove it would. But as I said it's not a tie anyway.

Not disagreeing with anything you have written above. I was responding to the putting USF ahead of NC State "is insane" comment. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

The difference on the missed players thing is timing. If you lose a player to injury at the end of the year and you are unlikely to have that player going into the tourney that tends to hurt a team's standing. If you gain a player early on and they then consistently play better as the season goes on, that tends to help.

Cheers,
Neil

Thanks for the clarification. Reggie Johnson (10 ppg/7 rpg) and DaQuan Jones (6 ppg/4rpg) missed the first nine and ten games respectively for Miami. UM lost four of those nine games. They are both back in the lineup now.

Bottomline: So nice to not see Cuse mentioned on the bubble

If we had 68 teams back to 1970-71, I see only two years we don't get in (81-82 and the probation season). And the 81-82 team might of been on the bubble LOL

Not disagreeing with anything you have written above. I was responding to the putting USF ahead of NC State "is insane" comment. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

How about "head scratcher" instead of insane?

Bottomline: So nice to not see Cuse mentioned on the bubble

If we had 68 teams back to 1970-71, I see only two years we don't get in (81-82 and the probation season). And the 81-82 team might of been on the bubble LOL

Agreed.

Thanks for the clarification. Reggie Johnson (10 ppg/7 rpg) and DaQuan Jones (6 ppg/4rpg) missed the first nine and ten games respectively for Miami. UM lost four of those nine games. They are both back in the lineup now.

For the record, Johnson's was a suspension due to impermissable benefits, something they just sat Scott for in the ACC tourney, which is unlikely to be just a one-game suspension.

Cheers,
Neil

How about "head scratcher" instead of insane?

Okay, head scratcher. But as I already pointed out, the 35+ bracketologists over on the bracketology matrix tend to give USF the narrowest of margins ahead. And they are all updated as of this morning.

Cheers,
Neil

For the record, Johnson's was a suspension due to impermissable benefits, something they just sat Scott for in the ACC tourney, which is unlikely to be just a one-game suspension.

Cheers,
Neil

I figure Scott is a goner for the rest of this season. Is the NCAA supposed to make value judgments as to players that were suspended back four months ago? That would be rich given the corrupt nature of the NCAA.

Okay, head scratcher. But as I already pointed out, the 35+ bracketologists over on the bracketology matrix tend to give USF the narrowest of margins ahead. And they are all updated as of this morning.

Cheers,
Neil

I don't see how they come to that conclusion. NCState has fared better against a clearly tougher schedule. It's really that simple.

I figure Scott is a goner for the rest of this season. Is the NCAA supposed to make value judgments as to players that were suspended back four months ago? That would be rich given the corrupt nature of the NCAA.

My point in bringing up Scott was that like Johnson, his suspension wasn't likely to be "just for the ACC tournament" game. So, the basketball gods giveth (Johnson returning) and they taketh away (Scott, gone).

Miami's case therefore is not helped.

Cheers,
Neil

I definitely see the Big East getting 10 bids. Feel good for Pope and Theodore.

Last 4 in: USF, NC State, Seton Hall, and the Drexel Dragons!! But the Dragons better be rooting hard for the thugs from Xavier!!

I don't see how they come to that conclusion. NCState has fared better against a clearly tougher schedule. It's really that simple.

It's the bubble - which is never simple.

Cheers,
Neil

I will be shocked if Seton Hall gets in, and Miss St to a slightly lesser extent. Don't be surprised when Washington, Drexel or Akron get in over those teams.

As a #1 seed, we should be exempt from having another BE team in our bracket prior to Final 8.

I will be shocked if Seton Hall gets in, and Miss St to a slightly lesser extent. Don't be surprised when Washington, Drexel or Akron get in over those teams.

I think the committee would have a hard time justifying Seton Hall over Northwestern since Northwestern beat them in the regular season. I don't see Washington getting in over California. But if they did, I would hope it would be at the expense of Cal and not another more deserving bubble team. Pac-12 was putrid this year.

Drexel is hurt by an OOC SOS of 223. Mid-major teams are usually rewarded when the OOC SOS is at least 120 or less.

Akron has a case, beating Mississippi State and Marshall at the Thundering Herd's place. Also had an OT loss to VCU.

But I'd be surprised if the Zips make it over most of the other "Last Four In" teams.

Cheers,
Neil

Every year the committee has a couple of head scratching picks. I'm just trying to isolate those picks, so Akron might get in based on the erratic behavior of the committee.

The PAC-12 is down, but it's also a "protected" conference. Don't be shocked to see both UW and Cal get in. I don't think it's an either/or situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom