Lunardis dig against SU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lunardis dig against SU

Outside of WVU, Cal and South Carolina, since UNC and UVA are the flagship state universities for their respective states, I might argue that your list of road games suggests this scheduling is merely a way of bringing the game to where it's convenient for large concentrations of the school's fans to attend a game without having to schlep all the way to Chapel Hill or Charlottesville.

Winthrop = Charlotte
Elon = Greensboro-Winston Salem (although its just down the road from Chapel Hill)
VCU = Richmond
GWash = NoVa
(What do you guys have against ODU?)

As a private school, there isn't a similarly large SU alumni base in the Buffalo/Rochester/Albany markets (and there isn't even a D1 school in Rochester) to reap the benefits of scheduling similarly to UNC and UVA. The closest equivalent outreach to the Syracuse alumni base involves SU going to MSG and Georgetown, which interestingly enough, is what SU tries to do.
While I can't speak to the situation at UNC, I can say that the picture you paint of UVa isn't entirely accurate. First, you omitted Vanderbilt, Villanova (two series), Tennessee, Davidson, and UNC-G of recent seasons. In Bennett's earlier years at Virginia, there were home & home series with Oregon and LSU. Also, playing at VCU doesn't really provide a great opportunity for UVa fans to see the team play. VCU has a rabid fan base that regularly sells out their gym. For games with Virginia, tickets are very dear. To a somewhat lesser degree, the same is true at George Mason, and James Madison and William & Mary are not located in areas which are densely populated with UVa alumni. I think the motivation behind the scheduling is to provide ticket holders with attractive OOC games, and to ready the team for conference play.

Imagine you were one of many ESPN laid off due to budget cuts or whatever - and every march you have to see his face on TV
Exactly this. Real sports journalists who do actual reporting lost their jobs, but this clown kept his for some absurd reason. A monkey could do what he does. ESPN should find somebody else to do it so we don’t have to look at his bloated face all winter.

but this clown kept his for some absurd reason. A monkey could do what he does.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's an annoying dork, but isn't the "absurd reason" that he's the one who invented this entire concept of predicting brackets? And the most household name associated with it.

College basketball is a borderline boutique sport, and the average sports fan isn't analyzing Bracketmatrix like we all do. They just want a familiar face on Sportscenter giving them some bubble teams to look for. Like, I'm sure there are people in America who know more about animals than Jack Hanna, but he's a familiar face and people like that.

Last edited:
Imagine you were one of many ESPN laid off due to budget cuts or whatever - and every march you have to see his face on TV

Any of those people could have invented something groundbreaking like Bracketology, but they didn't.

{snip}
Winthrop = Charlotte
Elon = Greensboro-Winston Salem (although its just down the road from Chapel Hill)
VCU = Richmond
GWash = NoVa
(What do you guys have against ODU?)
{snip}
Nothing. Jeff Jones, an alum and former UVa HC (who left under an off-the-court cloud), is the HC there and he feels reluctant/hinky/uncomfortable about playing us. I think Bennett would be more than open to playing ODU whenever Jones feels the timing is right.

If an up-and-coming college hoops reporter asked me one for piece of advice to increase their national profile, I would say "troll Syracuse fans." There are tons of us and we're very sensitive.
Hey, who are you calling sensitive?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom