Luncheon Feedback? | Syracusefan.com

Luncheon Feedback?

orangeinjersey

All Conference
Anyone? I know its supersecret, and we cant have our opponents knowing anything about our stealthy 2-4 team.

So, anyone care to "summarize" what was said?

First rule of luncheons is you can't talk about luncheons. Because loose lips sink ships.

Oh wait. We're already at the bottom of the ocean.

First rule of luncheons is you can't talk about luncheons. Because loose lips sink ships.

Oh wait. We're already at the bottom of the ocean.

We have to be fair both ways. We're not "at the bottom of the ocean". We are better than we were (see the "competitive again" vs "not competitive" discussion).

This is the problem I have with the "turned the corner" crowd. But to be fair, improvement has been made.

44cuse

We have to be fair both ways. We're not "at the bottom of the ocean". We are better than we were (see the "competitive again" vs "not competitive" discussion).

This is the problem I have with the "turned the corner" crowd. But to be fair, improvement has been made.

44cuse

The question that needs to be asked is

Are we improved simply because we got rid or GRob? Or are we improved because of Marrone? IMO GRob was that bad that no matter who we hired you would see improvement. Which of course means Marrone does not get credit.

Are we improved simply because we got rid or GRob? Or are we improved because of Marrone? IMO GRob was that bad that no matter who we hired you would see improvement. Which of course means Marrone does not get credit.

To answer the original question, Brotzki sat in today, not Marrone. Don't want to say no one cares what Brotzki is going to say, but that is what I am thinking. Was that polite? Probably not. Probably the rudest thing I could say. Sorry.

I agree almost anyone would have been an improvement over GRob, who I still contend is the worst college football head coach of all time.

Are Marrone and his staff an improvement over Coach P and his staff when they left town?

I would say yes, absolutely.

Shafer is the best DC we have had in a long time. Our defense is playing better than it has since the 2001 season, the scheme is solid, there is good talent in place and I think there is good reason to believe it can be sustained over time.

I like the scheme we are using on offense far more than the DeLeone offense we were using when Coach P was canned. I think the talent is better than we had then and we are only a decent QB who is a good fit for the system being run away from being a solid offensive team. Add a couple more fast WRs, another athletic TEs or two and another fast RB or two and I think we can be a top 25 type offense.

We are very close to being a good program. We are not far from being a very good program. Back when Coach P was ending his coaching career at Syracuse, I was not nearly so optimistic about the future.

Brotzki had a reuban.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

To answer the original question, Brotzki sat in today, not Marrone. Don't want to say no one cares what Brotzki is going to say, but that is what I am thinking. Was that polite? Probably not. Probably the rudest thing I could say. Sorry.

I agree almost anyone would have been an improvement over GRob, who I still contend is the worst college football head coach of all time.

Are Marrone and his staff an improvement over Coach P and his staff when they left town?

Shafer is the best DC we have had in a long time. Our defense is playing better than it has since the 2001 season, the scheme is solid, there is good talent in place and I think there is good reason to believe it can be sustained over time.

I like the scheme we are using on offense far more than the DeLeone offense we were using when Coach P was canned. I think the talent is better than we had then and we are only a decent QB who is a good fit for the system being run away from being a solid offensive team. Add a couple more fast WRs, another athletic TEs or two and another fast RB or two and I think we can be a top 25 type offense.

We are very close to being a good program. We are not far from being a very good program. Back when Coach P was ending his coaching career at Syracuse, I was not nearly so optimistic about the future.

we're only a decent qb, a couple more fast WRs, another athletic TE or two and another fast RB or two away from maybe being a top 25 offense?

You're nuts.

Period. Full Stop

...we are only a decent QB who is a good fit for the system being run away from being a solid offensive team. Add a couple more fast WRs, another athletic TEs or two and another fast RB or two and I think we can be a top 25 type offense.

Oh...that's all we need. Super.

Doug & co have swung and missed a every QB so far. Sure hope they get it right one of these days. You look across college football and it seems it's not THAT hard.

One key element away from it, you and I know who we'd like to see maybe have a shot there at some point. And yes some other elements away too that would help. The one "key" element would make the current elements seem just fine IMHO but I'm just so sick of beating a dead horse about it. Good post.

Great post...even Stan approved. You deserve each other.

Yep, I get that and generally agree. Wasn't saying that we are improved enough, just saying that bottom of the ocen isn't necessarily the right descriptor either.

IMO, we are closer to the bottom of the ocean than where we want to be...but that's obviously just MO.

44cuse

we're only a decent qb, a couple more fast WRs, another athletic TE or two and another fast RB or two away from maybe being a top 25 offense?

Basically, we need another team.

I think the talent is better than we had then and we are only a decent QB who is a good fit for the system being run away from being a solid offensive team. Add a couple more fast WRs, another athletic TEs or two and another fast RB or two and I think we can be a top 25 type offense.

That was a really nice post Tom, but man does this part of it put things in perspective.

All we need is an overhaul of every skill position? Well if we knew that's *all* it took we could have saved ourselves a lot of angst! :bang:

I'm kidding, of course, but every week I watch this O and think the schemes are in place for us to succeed. And yet we don't. It's maddening.

That was a really nice post Tom, but man does this part of it put things in perspective.

All we need is an overhaul of every skill position? Well if we knew that's *all* it took we could have saved ourselves a lot of angst! :bang:

I'm kidding, of course, but every week I watch this O and think the schemes are in place for us to succeed. And yet we don't. It's maddening.
Again, we just need a QB well suited to the scheme we are running now to be a solid offense. We get that, we will be a consistent winning program. Even with no other talent upgrades. Even now, going into 2013, I see a WR (Funderburke), a TE (Thompson) and a RB (Morris) that have skills we just don't have on the team today. Depth will still be a problem though that is being addressed each year.

There are QBs that will be on the roster that can do things Nassib cannot do as well. We are in a far better position today that we were when Coach P was canned. Are things were they need to be? No. Am I satisified? No.

Do I think there is reason for hope? Do I think things will get better? Absolutely.

Again, we just need a QB well suited to the scheme we are running now to be a solid offense. We get that, we will be a consistent winning program. Even with no other talent upgrades. Even now, going into 2013, I see a WR (Funderburke), a TE (Thompson) and a RB (Morris) that have skills we just don't have on the team today. Depth will still be a problem though that is being addressed each year.

There are QBs that will be on the roster that can do things Nassib cannot do as well. We are in a far better position today that we were when Coach P was canned. Are things were they need to be? No. Am I satisified? No.

Do I think there is reason for hope? Do I think things will get better? Absolutely.

Oh, just stop it, you have no acumen.

the fact that we have actually WON the battle on the LOS in most games this year cant be over looked regardless of the results. we had several years where the Rbs couldnt get out of the backfield and the QB never had time.. To's and ST mistakes for being about only 20 plays have cost us more than the 7-800 plays that we have pretty good at. Even if rutgers blocks the two kicks the last two years, they could have just as easily gone past the LOS or just been recovered for little gain and we probably win both games. we have correct 75% of the issues we need to be a solid team again. as Tomcat said, we need a playmaker on offense so every drive doesnt have to be perfection. we may very well have 5-6 more options as play makers next year on offense alone. at least we need to hope so

we have been the better team against rutgers for 4 years and little to show for it because our mistakes have turned into points or loss of points.

we controlled the game against Pitt for the first time in 6-7 years.

if we control the game against Uconn and win thats a pretty good sign.

we are 2-3 players away from this team being 5-1. how far away were we 4 years ago?

the fact that we have actually WON the battle on the LOS in most games this year cant be over looked regardless of the results. we had several years where the Rbs couldnt get out of the backfield and the QB never had time.. To's and ST mistakes for being about only 20 plays have cost us more than the 7-800 plays that we have pretty good at. Even if rutgers blocks the two kicks the last two years, they could have just as easily gone past the LOS or just been recovered for little gain and we probably win both games. we have correct 75% of the issues we need to be a solid team again. as Tomcat said, we need a playmaker on offense so every drive doesnt have to be perfection. we may very well have 5-6 more options as play makers next year on offense alone. at least we need to hope so

we have been the better team against rutgers for 4 years and little to show for it because our mistakes have turned into points or loss of points.

we controlled the game against Pitt for the first time in 6-7 years.

if we control the game against Uconn and win thats a pretty good sign.

we are 2-3 players away from this team being 5-1. how far away were we 4 years ago?

Exactly. That's the point:

We are competitive again. We were not competitive there for awhile. Marrone deserves credit for that, the question is how much (per KO's point).

44cuse

I get it Tom, I do.

I just worry that the same people who were talking up the talent in this program in 2002 and 2005 and 2009, etc. are also doing it now.

I really hope you guys are right, I really do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom