Lydon and Richardson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon and Richardson

What's really great is the freshmen got to experience Dome madness early in the season. If you are basketball player who's not pumped up playing in that environment then you don't have a pulse. I bet most of the freshmen were not able to go to sleep until 5am. Experiencing such great crowd reactions has got to be a positive force on these players going forward. I just could not believe the noise coming out of the TV. It was truly an awesome second half. Man, it's great to have basketball back!!!

We haven't made it into the NCAA tournament yet but I am more hopeful than I was 2 days ago!!
When my daughter and I were walking into the Dome, we heard the ROAR of what we thought were our students. I said to her, "Good job, students!" After we got to our seats, we realized it was the Bonnie students. Man, were they psyched. And although our student turnout was somewhat disappointing, did they (and the rest of the crowd) really get into it! The Dome was sizzling and it was only the second game of the season!

I regard that as both good news and bad news.

When my daughter and I were walking into the Dome, we heard the ROAR of what we thought were our students. I said to her, "Good job, students!" After we got to our seats, we realized it was the Bonnie students. Man, were they psyched. And although our student turnout was somewhat disappointing, did they (and the rest of the crowd) really get into it! The Dome was sizzling and it was only the second game of the season!

It's all good! We could have lost that game they way the bonnies were shooting!

I haven't read the whole thread so forgive me if I'm repeating...After McCullough, Grant and Ennis I no longer am in the prediction game as to whether a player will go or not. Neither is listed in either the 2016 or 2017 mock at NBAdraft.net but that will change for both of them at some point at least for 2017. I look for Lydon to start doing some penetrating the lane like Mal did. He's already shown he can take it from the top of the key. If he can get himself 10 foot looks and knock them down that's when he elevates his game. Love em both and will enjoy them while they're here.

Hard to say. The first 10 games of our ACC schedule we will be without JB. That could really hurt our record for the season. I could see both of them getting drafted in the NBA at some point. Hopefully at the end of next season. I just want to see these guys play with Chukwa and Battle.
The NBA has gotten a lot smarter about separating the player from the team.

Are we watching the same games? Lydon is averaging 8.5 points, 8.5 boards,1.5 Assists, 1.5 steals, and 1.5 blocks through 2 games. If there was a fantasy CBB league, he'd be a top pick. Now he may not blow you out of the water with one thing he does, but he fills the stat sheet. I think you are being way to hard on him with the rebounding. The 5 usually is not an elite rebounding position in the zone(Rak last year was the exception, not the rule). Malachi and Roberson need to rebound on the wings. I thought that's what killed us yesterday.

Mal needs to go to the basket when someone guards him. He started to in the second half yesterday. Coaches must of said something. I agree he might be the worst passer on the team. That might be because he never passed in high school, but both of these guys are elite level talents.

SEND EM TO THE LEAGUE NOW!

Just a note but Roberson had 12 rebounds.

I know bees, i still think he left some out there though. JB even said he neesd to play better if we want to be good. I know everyone's in love with Mal's shot, but he's got to be more aggressive on the glass.

Just a note but Roberson had 12 rebounds.

The frustrating thing (and this isn't remotely close to being exclusive to Roberson) is that nobody seems to box out, Roberson included. He can just jump really high and has a tendency to steal rebounds from teammates. But it seems that nobody reacts when a shot goes up; we let the other team crash the boards like crazy and only react after the shot actually hits the rim. Rebounding out of the zone has always seemed to be an issue, but this looks like the worst rebounding team I've seen in recent years early on.

Are we watching the same games? Lydon is averaging 8.5 points, 8.5 boards,1.5 Assists, 1.5 steals, and 1.5 blocks through 2 games. If there was a fantasy CBB league, he'd be a top pick. Now he may not blow you out of the water with one thing he does, but he fills the stat sheet. I think you are being way to hard on him with the rebounding. The 5 usually is not an elite rebounding position in the zone(Rak last year was the exception, not the rule). Malachi and Roberson need to rebound on the wings. I thought that's what killed us yesterday.

Mal needs to go to the basket when someone guards him. He started to in the second half yesterday. Coaches must of said something. I agree he might be the worst passer on the team. That might be because he never passed in high school, but both of these guys are elite level talents.

You may be looking at the box scores - I'm watching the games.

• Take away Lydon's 2 (clutch 3's) and he has been a non factor offensively - anyone disagree with that statement?
  • Lydon SUCKED rebounding YESTERDAY - anyone disagree with that statement?
  • Lydon is also playing completely out of position. We are in BIG BIG BIG BIG trouble if he is our center for 25 min a game again - anyone disagree with that statement?

• Mal hit 1 contested 3 off of the top of the backboard and 1 contested 3 he overshot the rim by 2 feet which may have counted as an assist the shot was so bad - anyone disagree with that statement?
  • Mal took the ball to the hoop out of nowhere for the 1st time yesterday. did it twice iirc, got an and 1 and fouled on the other. I think scored 4 points on those 2 takes. Why didnt he do that at all the first 1.5 games? - anyone disagree with that statement?
  • Mal tried to go 1 on 1 with his defender, danced and dribbled for 5 seconds and kicked the ball oob - anyone disagree with that statement?

• The team has STRUGGLED and shown as little as possible in 2 wins. Its tough to say that we have 2 legit NBA prospects that are threatening to leave after these 2 games! Keep in mind, that was my entire point. It is not to insult them (clearly posted) or say they were anything but GOOD (clearly posted) - anyone disagree with that statement?

I didn't say that. Both freshman need to get better, but I think they are playing a lot better than you give them credit for.

READ MY POST AND WHAT IT WAS IN RESPONSE TO DUDE!

It was all about responding to someone who was hoping they would be around next year. Nothing else.

at this point, where in the world are they going?

They have been good at best. Thats not an insult - but my god, you know how I know they haven't been very good or great or NBA 1 and done talent? Because we barely beat 2 mediocre teams at home.

Donte Greene lost to Rhode Island and Umass and went. McCullough was barely even a factor in most ACC games. It's hard to know these days. We always say our guys aren't ready when they're leaving early.

Donte Greene lost to Rhode Island and Umass and went. McCullough was barely even a factor in most ACC games. It's hard to know these days. We always say our guys aren't ready when they're leaving early.

I guess that's a fair point - but we are all in agreement that neither Lydon or Mal have the tools those guys had. These 2 are more fundamental than those 2 and have more heart.

Also those crappy teams didnt have 2 1 and done players to go along with 2 5th yr seniors and a 4th yr JR. If they are both good enough to be 1 and done, we are going to the final 4 at least.

And keep in mind who by our best player is. Its silent G and its not even close.

• Take away Lydon's 2 (clutch 3's) and he has been a non factor offensively - anyone disagree with that statement?
  • Lydon is also playing completely out of position. We are in BIG BIG BIG BIG trouble if he is our center for 25 min a game again - anyone disagree with that statement?
if this is a vote - I disagree with these three statements.

I guess that's a fair point - but we are all in agreement that neither Lydon or Mal have the tools those guys had. These 2 are more fundamental than those 2 and have more heart.

Also those crappy teams didnt have 2 1 and done players to go along with 2 5th yr seniors and a 4th yr JR. If they are both good enough to be 1 and done, we are going to the final 4 at least.

And keep in mind who by our best player is. Its silent G and its not even close.

I agree, and I don't think either one should be or will be 1 and done. But I've gotten to where I never count on anything for the next year.

I lived through the pre-Big East era when the ECAC was our home and we had regional rivals including St. Bonaventure. SU has been fortunate through the years and we should revel in nights like last night. The Bonnies came to town and brought an inspired team and a bunch of active fans. Well done, St. Bonaventure. We finished with 4 players in double figures but lost the rebound battle by 10. JB made adjustments, players executed, and we won a tough game. Kudos to all...

• Mal hit 1 contested 3 off of the top of the backboard and 1 contested 3 he overshot the rim by 2 feet which may have counted as an assist the shot was so bad - anyone disagree with that statement?
  • Mal took the ball to the hoop out of nowhere for the 1st time yesterday. did it twice iirc, got an and 1 and fouled on the other. I think scored 4 points on those 2 takes. Why didnt he do that at all the first 1.5 games? - anyone disagree with that statement?
  • Mal tried to go 1 on 1 with his defender, danced and dribbled for 5 seconds and kicked the ball oob - anyone disagree with that statement?

• The team has STRUGGLED and shown as little as possible in 2 wins. Its tough to say that we have 2 legit NBA prospects that are threatening to leave after these 2 games! Keep in mind, that was my entire point. It is not to insult them (clearly posted) or say they were anything but GOOD (clearly posted) - anyone disagree with that statement?

First of all, Lehigh and St. Bonaventure are better than you give them credit for. They are a better than a number P5 teams we play this year, according to kenpom.

I agree Lydon is playing out of position, but he's our best option. Nobody is disputing that. He had an and one too you didn't mention that was a big play, plus I think he's our best FT shooter. He also had a couple of blocks and steals out of the middle that negated the rebounding disadvantage. I mean when is Syracuse ever a good rebounding team? Even when Fab was here we gave up offensive board after offensive board. I think we could possibly have a huge offensive advantage with him at the 5.

Mal makes some questionable plays, but you can see the talent there. He's an elite shooter.

If you watch the NBA, watch Golden State play small ball. They get crushed on the boards with Draymond Green at the 5, which i guess would be similar to Lydon at the 5 in College.

You have to negate that with forcing turnovers.

Watch JB's presser and you'll find someone who disagrees with you at least on a couple points. And no, I don't think we need any NBA talk either.

First of all, Lehigh and St. Bonaventure are better than you give them credit for. They are a better than a number P5 teams we play this year, according to kenpom.

I agree Lydon is playing out of position, but he's our best option. Nobody is disputing that. He had an and one too you didn't mention that was a big play, plus I think he's our best FT shooter. He also had a couple of blocks and steals out of the middle that negated the rebounding disadvantage. I mean when is Syracuse ever a good rebounding team? Even when Fab was here we gave up offensive board after offensive board. I think we could possibly have a huge offensive advantage with him at the 5.

Mal makes some questionable plays, but you can see the talent there. He's an elite shooter.

If you watch the NBA, watch Golden State play small ball. They get crushed on the boards with Draymond Green at the 5, which i guess would be similar to Lydon at the 5 in College.

You have to negate that with forcing turnovers.

1st of all - I am only talking about them in regards to going pro after THIS YEAR. Please reply that you understand that at this point.

2nd of all - I can agree for the most part with everything else you said

(with the exception of Mal being an elite shooter - i am sorry I just can't. YET. Dude is MONEY when he is open and can do his slow set shot - but he hasn't shown he can get open or create an open 3 yet which is required to be an "elite" shooter. That being said when he is open, I'd rather have him shooting than anyone else on the team)

Watch JB's presser and you'll find someone who disagrees with you at least on a couple points. And no, I don't think we need any NBA talk either.

which ones?

• Yes and No.
  • That is more then enough from him as a 4th scoring option. As a 3rd not enough.
  • He had a great drive to the basket, he has hit baseline jumpers off a dish, he gets to the line and had 4 ft's. He plays taller under the rim then anyone on the team.
  • To a extent yes. Helps when he has someone strong to push people around at center he doesn't have that.
  • NO. 25 minutes probably to much it means
  • 1.we are losing and
  • 2. they are hitting deep shots and we have to extend our defense.

• NO I don't remember the one off the top of the backboard though.
  • Hes a freshmen give him time to get comfortable. our upperclassmen needed to lead the way first. He had atleast 3 takes if not four into the paint in the halfcourt. Like his strength for a fresh.
  • It happened but I don't believe it was because he didn't value the possession.

• Whether the team wins or loses has nothing to do with anyone leaving early.

Last edited:
1st of all - I am only talking about them in regards to going pro after THIS YEAR. Please reply that you understand that at this point.

2nd of all - I can agree for the most part with everything else you said

(with the exception of Mal being an elite shooter - i am sorry I just can't. YET. Dude is MONEY when he is open and can do his slow set shot - but he hasn't shown he can get open or create an open 3 yet which is required to be an "elite" shooter. That being said when he is open, I'd rather have him shooting than anyone else on the team)

They are not ready for the league. I agree, but then again I didn't think Cmac or Grant were either.

I think both of these guys are around next year because they have better family support IMO than either of those two guys. Just my opinion though. Crazy things happen every year.

Lydon is a stud. He’s what we all hoped Roberson would grow into and Lydon is already there. Junior year All American.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom