Lydon and Richardson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon and Richardson

That is interesting. I'd like to hear your opinion on that.
pretty obvious to me that Lydon is the best young big we have had in a while - the kid is really talented - he has to play
if it's going to be the 5 - which is what HOF coach decided - fine with me - he will only get better as time goes by.

pretty obvious to me that Lydon is the best young big we have had in a while - the kid is really talented - he has to play
if it's going to be the 5 - which is what HOF coach decided - fine with me - he will only get better as time goes by.

best young big since Mcculough?
http://syracusefan.com/threads/mccullough.82952/

Christmas?

Rick Jackson?

Fab? They aren't even in the same zip. I would do ANYTHING to have soph Fab on this team.

Also those crappy teams didnt have 2 1 and done players to go along with 2 5th yr seniors and a 4th yr JR. If they are both good enough to be 1 and done, we are going to the final 4 at least.

If by good enough, you mean compete in the NBA immediately, you're right, they are not ready. But I was looking more at whether they would be drafted. I think MR would go in the first round and I concede that Lydon would probably go in the second.

best young big since Mcculough?
http://syracusefan.com/threads/mccullough.82952/

Christmas?

Rick Jackson?

Fab? They aren't even in the same zip. I would do ANYTHING to have soph Fab on this team.
We will be very lucky if we get a soph Lydon.
I think at this stage of their career, Lydon has shown some skills that the guys you listed, will never have
guys with his length, that can shoot are a VERY rare commodity - NBA loves guys like that

for example - how many three's have any of the guys you mentioned made?
If you can't see the potential oozing from Lydon, I don't know what to tell you
pretty impressive actually.

Malachi reminds me an awful lot of Devin Booker from last year's UK team. Almost identical size and athleticism, and very very similar super smooth release on their jump shots.

Booker went 13th in the draft after averaging 10 ppg last season. Now, we're only 2 games into the season and haven't played any of the big boys yet, so there is a long way to go to see if this comparison holds true over a full season, but we don't have to look very far to see a player of similar size and skill who was coveted by the NBA in last season's draft.

I hope Lydon and Richardson are both back next year, but given the way the NBA drafts, it is far from assured that they will be. Let's just enjoy the season first and continue to re-evaluate as the year goes on. Assessing play against LeHigh and St. Bonnies is different from assessing play against Louisville and Duke.

Mason

Maybe he should red-shirt this year.

I've been just as impressed w/ Frankie as Mal and Tyler, who are both studs imo. He just looks like he belongs, and he already plays like a true PG. Really poised, doesn't force anything, good handle & passer, and potential to be our best defender up top. I basically see him as MCW 2.0 w/ a jump shot. I think redshirting has already by ruled out b/c JB doesn't quite trust KJ to run the show in place of Gbinije, but it'd be shame if he doesn't get some run most games and burned a year.

it'd be shame if he doesn't get some run most games and burned a year.
You're worried about burning a year? In this day and age, SU only redshirts projects. Anyone with any modicum of talent will, unfortuantely, never be around for 4 years. And in many cases, not even 2 or 3.

You're worried about burning a year? In this day and age, SU only redshirts projects. Anyone with any modicum of talent will, unfortuantely, never be around for 4 years. And in many cases, not even 2 or 3.

Not too worried. I think Frankie's a 4-year player, but would love to be wrong. Love his game from the little I've seen him play.

Howard looks good for this stage as well. Not gonna see him much though!

Agreed.. One thing Howard needs to stop though is leaving his feet on the ball fake... Jimmy wont go for that and could limit his minutes...

First of all, Lehigh and St. Bonaventure are better than you give them credit for. They are a better than a number P5 teams we play this year, according to kenpom.

I agree Lydon is playing out of position, but he's our best option. Nobody is disputing that. He had an and one too you didn't mention that was a big play, plus I think he's our best FT shooter. He also had a couple of blocks and steals out of the middle that negated the rebounding disadvantage. I mean when is Syracuse ever a good rebounding team? Even when Fab was here we gave up offensive board after offensive board. I think we could possibly have a huge offensive advantage with him at the 5.

Mal makes some questionable plays, but you can see the talent there. He's an elite shooter.

If you watch the NBA, watch Golden State play small ball. They get crushed on the boards with Draymond Green at the 5, which i guess would be similar to Lydon at the 5 in College.

You have to negate that with forcing turnovers.

This happens every single year, we play a junk team and because they stick with us and make it a game you guys say things like "they're the best in their league, they're a tourney team, they're good". Sorry, the best patriot league team is junk and outside a crazy insane upset over Duke they don't do anything in the tournament, you know why? Because they're not good.

• Mal hit 1 contested 3 off of the top of the backboard and 1 contested 3 he overshot the rim by 2 feet which may have counted as an assist the shot was so bad - anyone disagree with that statement?
  • Mal took the ball to the hoop out of nowhere for the 1st time yesterday. did it twice iirc, got an and 1 and fouled on the other. I think scored 4 points on those 2 takes. Why didnt he do that at all the first 1.5 games? - anyone disagree with that statement?
  • Mal tried to go 1 on 1 with his defender, danced and dribbled for 5 seconds and kicked the ball oob - anyone disagree with that statement?
wait, aren't you forgetting his U-G-L-Y shooting stroke?

wait, aren't you forgetting his U-G-L-Y shooting stroke?

As I said I was watching on a computer.

Its not U-G-L-Y, its just that its an old man set shot. Its filthy when he is open. I def want him taking a 3 over anyone else on the team when open. May be more than anyone else outside of Andy that I can ever remember for Cuse.

He was 2/2 when open last night and 0/5 when contested including at least 1 airball and 1 that hit the backboard 2 or 3 feet above the rim or maybe the side of the backboard. He is going to have a tough time creating his own 3's. Silent G, meanwhile created his own J's at will last night.

I also didn't notice him moving much without the ball - but I don't want to say he doesn't move without the ball. I literally just didnt notice.

This happens every single year, we play a junk team and because they stick with us and make it a game you guys say things like "they're the best in their league, they're a tourney team, they're good". Sorry, the best patriot league team is junk and outside a crazy insane upset over Duke they don't do anything in the tournament, you know why? Because they're not good.

Ok, lehigh might not get past the first round, but they are a better opponent than half the SEC, St. Johns, BC, and V. Tech.

I get it, they don't have P5 school on the front. I guess we could of played Missouri, TCU, Auburn, or Miss St. at home crushed them and everyone would think we are better than we are.

It could be worse. We could of lost to Radford. They are ranked in the 200's.

I'm not saying these teams would get an at large berth, but they are they are near the top of the mid-major rankings.

Ok, lehigh might not get past the first round, but they are a better opponent than half the SEC, St. Johns, BC, and V. Tech.

I get it, they don't have P5 school on the front. I guess we could of played Missouri, TCU, Auburn, or Miss St. at home crushed them and everyone would think we are better than we are.

It could be worse. We could of lost to Radford. They are ranked in the 200's.

I'm not saying these teams would get an at large berth, but they are they are near the top of the mid-major rankings.

I think the problem is more that it is 2 games in a row. 1 Lehigh game here or there isnt an issue. But we are 0/2 on the season right now.

But at the same time glad we are 2-0.

(if that makes sense)

CusefanATL said:
As I said I was watching on a computer. Its not U-G-L-Y, its just that its an old man set shot. Its filthy when he is open. I def want him taking a 3 over anyone else on the team when open. May be more than anyone else outside of Andy that I can ever remember for Cuse. He was 2/2 when open last night and 0/5 when contested including at least 1 airball and 1 that hit the backboard 2 or 3 feet above the rim or maybe the side of the backboard. He is going to have a tough time creating his own 3's. Silent G, meanwhile created his own J's at will last night. I also didn't notice him moving much without the ball - but I don't want to say he doesn't move without the ball. I literally just didnt notice.
Huh? Mali has hit at least a couple j's off the bounce (his second 3 against Lehigh for sure). And he is no set shooter (not is his shot flat). You analysis of he and lydon is so off I can't be sure you're watching the games. Lydon also drive the ball to the basket last night. I'd love to know which freshman we've had that has played with the confidence those 2 have in their first 2 college games. Melo and gmac probably...

Huh? Mali has hit at least a couple j's off the bounce (his second 3 against Lehigh for sure). And he is no set shooter (not is his shot flat). You analysis of he and lydon is so off I can't be sure you're watching the games. Lydon also drive the ball to the basket last night. I'd love to know which freshman we've had that has played with the confidence those 2 have in their first 2 college games. Melo and gmac probably...

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. My analysis is that both are good and neither are 1 and done players. I mentioned some of their obvious flaws in response to them going to the NBA after THIS year - which is laughable. But I was VERY clear in that they are both GOOD players.

I also never talked about their confidence btw - so no clue why you mentioned that.

I've been just as impressed w/ Frankie as Mal and Tyler, who are both studs imo. He just looks like he belongs, and he already plays like a true PG. Really poised, doesn't force anything, good handle & passer, and potential to be our best defender up top. I basically see him as MCW 2.0 w/ a jump shot. I think redshirting has already by ruled out b/c JB doesn't quite trust KJ to run the show in place of Gbinije, but it'd be shame if he doesn't get some run most games and burned a year.

All good points. He will have his chances this season. If he's playing well on both ends JB will give him more PT. My thinking was TC and G are always going to get priority because of their experiences but also probably as seniors they are better players. From FH's point of view I'm not sure what best serves his career overall, that is, playing or red shirting. When Battle shows up next season the same problem will continue. It's probably better for him to try to get as much PT this year as he can.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree. My analysis is that both are good and neither are 1 and done players. I mentioned some of their obvious flaws in response to them going to the NBA after THIS year - which is laughable. But I was VERY clear in that they are both GOOD players.

I hope the ATL in CusefanATL stands for Atlanta. Devonta Freeman has been a terrific player on my fantasy football team!

I just want to make the point the NBA is drafting players on potential nowadays just as much as actual NBA playing skill. I'm still kind of stunned CMac got drafted. And I still think TE would have made more money overall by staying one more extra year in CBB since his name would have had better brand recognition. How different last season would have been if we lost that first Duke game. I bet both TE and JG would have stayed another year. Ancient history now.

TL for president!

I hope the ATL in CusefanATL stands for Atlanta. Devonta Freeman has been a terrific player on my fantasy football team!

I just want to make the point the NBA is drafting players on potential nowadays just as much as actual NBA playing skill. I'm still kind of stunned CMac got drafted. And I still think TE would have made more money overall by staying one more extra year in CBB since his name would have had better brand recognition. How different last season would have been if we lost that first Duke game. I bet both TE and JG would have stayed another year. Ancient history now.

TL for president!

Correct on Freeman except for when the Falcons inexplicably stop feeding the beast like they did against SF.

Correct on Freeman except for when the Falcons inexplicably stop feeding the beast like they did against SF.

That was weird. He did catch a lot passes though in that game which helped on fantasy points. I think in that game they had a spy on him. Hopefully after the bye they will have some new plays to keep him involved. And maybe the OL is no longer banged up and more holes will be opened up. I also have Tevin as a handcuff. He is a beast!

Just to get back on topic, TL is now my new favorite player!

I agree with you about their flaws - but this has hardly stopped players in the past. MR in particular has good size and decent athleticism for his position. I feel like that alone could make him a first round pick in the eyes of many teams. That may be enough for him to jump. Obviously, I'm speculating. I never have insider knowledge, and I doubt any of us do this early. But it wouldn't shock me either.
But, but...he has to stay to play with Battle on our FF team.

I agree, and I don't think either one should be or will be 1 and done. But I've gotten to where I never count on anything for the next year.
As always...only the shadow knows.

All good points. He will have his chances this season. If he's playing well on both ends JB will give him more PT. My thinking was TC and G are always going to get priority because of their experiences but also probably as seniors they are better players. From FH's point of view I'm not sure what best serves his career overall, that is, playing or red shirting. When Battle shows up next season the same problem will continue. It's probably better for him to try to get as much PT this year as he can.
Good point. Howard with a year under his belt would be a solid complement to Battle and Joseph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom