Lydon another year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon another year?

I did some more checking on Novak's stats, they are truly hilarious when you think about it.

In his NBA career, he has 81 turnovers. 81. He has played 5,657 minutes, that is basically one turnover every 70 minutes. On one hand, that's impressive, but it really speaks to how little he could do. ALL he did was shoot 3's. He has 38 blocks in his nba career; that's one every 149 minutes. The guy attempted a 2 point field goal every 15 minutes. He took one foul shot for every 50 minutes on the court. I could do this forever. 68 offensive rebounds in his career!

I did some more checking on Novak's stats, they are truly hilarious when you think about it.

In his NBA career, he has 81 turnovers. 81. He has played 5,657 minutes, that is basically one turnover every 70 minutes. On one hand, that's impressive, but it really speaks to how little he could do. ALL he did was shoot 3's. He has 38 blocks in his nba career; that's one every 149 minutes. The guy attempted a 2 point field goal every 15 minutes. He took one foul shot for every 50 minutes on the court. I could do this forever. 68 offensive rebounds in his career!

Once Mike Woodson left New York, Novak's career went down hill big time. Novak is the definition of a system player. I think Lydon has more potential than merely being a system player.

6 career starts in 10 years.

I always trade for him on NBA 2K.

Down double digits, bring Novacaine in and pick and pop with him until we either come back or are down 20.

Shot like 60% for me one season.

I always trade for him on NBA 2K.

Down double digits, bring Novacaine in and pick and pop with him until we either come back or are down 20.

Shot like 60% for me one season.

I honestly think he's on the short list for very best shooters in the history of the league. He just can't do anything else. I loved him when the Knicks had him.

I honestly think he's on the short list for very best shooters in the history of the league. He just can't do anything else. I loved him when the Knicks had him.

I feel that there is too much work needed in his game that he'll leave this year. He was better off leaving last year to be quite honest. He's exposed some of his flaws. Now he needs to work on them.

I feel that there is too much work needed in his game that he'll leave this year
People post this stuff every year. MCW needed to work on his game, Waiters needed to work on his game, Flynn needed to work on his game, McCullough was injured and needed to work on his game, Grant needed to work on his game ... etc

How many players have left early at SU in the last 20 years who were ready outside of Carmelo (and I'm sure I could find an internet post somewhere saying he wasn't ready)?

People post this stuff every year. MCW needed to work on his game, Waiters needed to work on his game, Flynn needed to work on his game, McCullough was injured and needed to work on his game, Grant needed to work on his game ... etc

How many players have left early at SU in the last 20 years who were ready outside of Carmelo (and I'm sure I could find an internet post somewhere saying he wasn't ready)?

Which is why I don't understand why people say it.

All the guys you mentioned got drafted, the results on the guys who stayed, eeeek. Strike when it's hot because there is a chance you may never get the chance again.

If Lydon stays into his 3rd year, I doubt he ever gets picked in the first round.

Dion.

Hayward and Dekker both have ball-handling skills that Lydon can only dream of.

If Lydon can get a guarantee of a 1st round pick this year, he should go. The longer he stays, the more his stock will drop. Personally I don't see the NBA upside on Lydon. At best he looks like a journeyman designated shooter off the bench to me.
yep, he is washed up at 20. No chance he can improve his handle.

yep, he is washed up at 20. No chance he can improve his handle.

If he had anything resembling a handle there is no doubt he could improve it to passable in the NBA.

Right now he has zero handle, that's going to hurt him just like it hurt CJ Fair.

It's not that I don't believe he isn't good enough to play. I felt last year his strengths outweighed any weakness he showed. Last year, he's a lengthy stretch four who can knock down the three ball and play some decent defense. This year, he's a 3/4 who doesn't have a handle, can't slash to the basket, not overly athletic and struggles a bit on defense. If he were to leave this year he'd get drafted. I'm saying if he were to leave last year, he'd probably get taken a little higher based on what scouts saw and what they didn't see.

As two3zone said above, it's more about striking while the iron is hottest.

Agree with this. Dion was the most NBA ready guy we've had probably since Melo.

I would have to say Wes Johnson was deemed more ready when he skipped his senior year. Did anybody think Johnson should or would come back?

I would have to say Wes Johnson was deemed more ready when he skipped his senior year. Did anybody think Johnson should or would come back?
MCW was ready. NBA Rookie of the Year ready.

I don't have access to the old board posts and I think TNIAAM lost all the comments from time. But syracuse.com (Should Syracuse's Wes Johnson stay one more year or go pro?) comments don't disappoint. Granted even those seem about 70-30 he should go.

I think he is a four in the NBA once he gets on the NBA diet and workout plan. I caught some of the Jazz/Nets game last night and Gordon Hayward is a lot bigger than he was in college. And he was built like Lydon at Butler, but Lydon has two inches on him with a 7 ft wingspan.

Guys with Lydon's shooting mechanics and footwork don't grow on trees. Getting him more muscular and able to defend a few big boys in the post will be on the NBA. If he wants to come back and work out for free, I'm sure SU will be happy to have him, but I don't see him back next season.

Edited to add: Otherwise Thompson wouldn't be here. He's the heir apparent at PF.

He'd be better off to leave after this year to get away from Hicks

I will dare to do a potential comparative that is not white.

My potential comp is Patrick Patterson of the Raptors who is mainly a stretch 4. Mainly shooters with some inside game, and both can be sneaky athletic at times. Interestingly at college they both seemed better in a complimentary role.

In Michael Lewis's new book The Undoing Project it says that Daryl Morey instituted a ban of player comparisons that compared the player to some of the same race.

IMO Lydon's a good college player but lacks the elite athleticism and explosive hops to be an NBA player. He has no ability to handle, can't shoot off the dribble, and I doubt he could guard anyone m-2-m. But hey, if he gets selected in the 1 st round run and take the money and God bless.

If JB (and many here) think TL isn't a 3, where do the pros think he'll play? To me, he is to "small" to be a 4. If these things are true, would that point to another year at SU to find his role? Who in the pros does he compare to as a stretch 4? I'm trying to find reason to hope he returns. Same for Battle and Thompson. That is some nucleus to build around.
Why would he come back to this mess?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom