Lydon another year? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon another year?

2nd unit, stretch four. That is what Lydon's career will be. Maybe a starter down the line in the right situation. And he should go and start that career after this year at SU.

He was on a team that got to a FF. Hopefully he gives us some more great memories. He can't stay here another year, in this situation.

Maybe if we had landediscussed Quade or if Howard wasn't a disaster... but he is going to have no help next year

He's gone. Sadly.

Why would he come back to this mess?

Because Lydon's not ready for the NBA right now. And I seriously doubt than any of our players believe the situation is as hopeless as some posters think it is. A couple of good recruits could really change our level of play next season.

Lydon is in no way, shape, or form good enough to play in the NBA at the moment. Will probably play the 3 or 4. Way too slow defensively to keep up with any 3 or 4. In addition, has ZERO off the bounce game (What was he doing all summer?). I don't think I have ever seen him make a pull up jumper or drive to the hoop and finish a contested layup. I like Lydon as a player, but anyone who thinks he is good enough to play in the NBA at the moment either A) doesn't watch the NBA or B) Has no idea what it entails to stick in the league. I think he will leave after this year because of the debacle this year and I can't really blame him for that. If he does leave, I just pray he goes somewhere in the first so he can get his guaranteed contract.

Lydon is in no way, shape, or form good enough to play in the NBA at the moment. Will probably play the 3 or 4. Way too slow defensively to keep up with any 3 or 4. In addition, has ZERO off the bounce game (What was he doing all summer?). I don't think I have ever seen him make a pull up jumper or drive to the hoop and finish a contested layup. I like Lydon as a player, but anyone who thinks he is good enough to play in the NBA at the moment either A) doesn't watch the NBA or B) Has no idea what it entails to stick in the league. I think he will leave after this year because of the debacle this year and I can't really blame him for that. If he does leave, I just pray he goes somewhere in the first so he can get his guaranteed contract.
I don't think that he will get drafted. Scouts are 'what have you done lately'? They want winners. The hot mess we seem to be well on our way to will lower his draft stock. Just a guess on my part that his stock is on the decline, but the context is that we all overestimated this team, therefore we might also have overestimated Lydon.

I don't think that he will get drafted. Scouts are 'what have you done lately'? They want winners. The hot mess we seem to be well on our way to will lower his draft stock. Just a guess on my part that his stock is on the decline, but the context is that we all overestimated this team, therefore we might also have overestimated Lydon.

Ben Simmons went #1 last year, and his team was a disappointment that didn't make the NCAA's. I don't think team success necessarily matters. Every situation is different.

Nobody is looking at Tyler as a guy who needs to carry an NBA team, so his failure to do that here so far is meaningless in that sense. I think the biggest thing they like is he's a 6'9 PF with a great shooting stroke...and he is shooting the ball well.

You know how many guys aren't ready to play in the NBA immediately, but get drafted anyway every year? We've had quite a few of them just from Cuse in recent years.

He projects as a 4 in the NBA I think. He certainly has to get stronger and show he can defend to get on the court at that level. I don't think his lack of off the dribble game is going to matter as much. Nobody is going to ask him to make plays off the dribble. He'll be a shooter who spaces the floor. Make shots and get stronger to where he's an adequate defender at that level, and he'll get on the court.

Do you follow the NBA or its draft at all?

What this team will look like next year has absolutely no bearing on Lydon's decision to go to the NBA. The only thing he will be looking at will be the prospect of being drafted in the first round. If that is very likely to happen, he's gone.

I can't believe some of you still use the "he isn't ready for the NBA" excuse for why he should stay. That ship has sailed. That is no longer something kids concern themselves with and the NBA has no problem drafting kids who aren't ready to contribute in year 1.

The problem with TL's stock isn't being ready or not, it's that his upside doesn't look all that great. What's his projection? He'll be 21 at draft time with a body that doesn't look able to compete at the NBA level long term. Can he be a stretch 4 off the bench popping 3's? Of course, but is there more to his potential? He isn't super athletic and probably won't be able to guard SF's in the NBA or bang with interior players. He can have a Channing Frye career if he can add good weight and strength, perhaps, but the longer he stays, the less of a chance he'll have of being a 1st round pick. He probably should have gone pro last year and strike while the iron was hot. I think his prospect status is getting dinged a bit this year due to what looks like lesser quickness/agility and a handle that hasn't improved. He's basically the same player as last year, only a year older and with some added weight (that probably hasn't done him any good). What happens if he stays another year? All of that just gets exponential worse for his stock.

I don't get why people say Lydon isn't that athletic. I certainly don't see that. Is it because he's white? He's a pretty good leaper. I mean he has the NCAA record for blocked shots in a tournament and is leading us in blocks again. Out of shape? sure. Not athletic? I think it's just a stereotype people are applying to him.

Not for nothing, but Chad Ford's first mock of the year is out and he has Lydon going 22nd to the Thunder.

I don't get why people say Lydon isn't that athletic. I certainly don't see that. Is it because he's white? He's a pretty good leaper. I mean he has the NCAA record for blocked shots in a tournament and is leading us in blocks again. Out of shape? sure. Not athletic? I think it's just a stereotype people are applying to him.

People are using it in context and that context is that he's not an elite NBA level athlete.

He's clearly not getting off the floor anywhere near the way he did last year when he was a pogostick. And the numbers back that up, he's got 15 blocks in 14 games this year. In last year's NCAA tourney he blocked 20! in only 5 games.

I can't believe some of you still use the "he isn't ready for the NBA" excuse for why he should stay. That ship has sailed. That is no longer something kids concern themselves with and the NBA has no problem drafting kids who aren't ready to contribute in year 1.

The problem with TL's stock isn't being ready or not, it's that his upside doesn't look all that great. What's his projection? He'll be 21 at draft time with a body that doesn't look able to compete at the NBA level long term. Can he be a stretch 4 off the bench popping 3's? Of course, but is there more to his potential? He isn't super athletic and probably won't be able to guard SF's in the NBA or bang with interior players. He can have a Channing Frye career if he can add good weight and strength, perhaps, but the longer he stays, the less of a chance he'll have of being a 1st round pick. He probably should have gone pro last year and strike while the iron was hot. I think his prospect status is getting dinged a bit this year due to what looks like lesser quickness/agility and a handle that hasn't improved. He's basically the same player as last year, only a year older and with some added weight (that probably hasn't done him any good). What happens if he stays another year? All of that just gets exponential worse for his stock.

Agree 100% with this post.

People are using it in context and that context is that he's not an elite NBA level athlete.

He's clearly not getting off the floor anywhere near the way he did last year when he was a pogostick. And the numbers back that up, he's got 15 blocks in 14 games this year. In last year's NCAA tourney he blocked 20! in only 5 games.
well part of that might because teams choose to shoot wide open threes all day

Agree 100% with this post.
I don't know if it has ever been proven that kids hurt their draft stock by staying in school a year longer. While it is true that staying gives the pros another year not to see growth in the prospects game, it also gives the player a chance to show something that they haven't up until that point. Also throw in that this is considered a strong draft...I guess you also have to throw in that it can't be fun playing on this team.

I don't know if it has ever been proven that kids hurt their draft stock by staying in school a year longer. While it is true that staying gives the pros another year not to see growth in the prospects game, it also gives the player a chance to show something that they haven't up until that point. Also throw in that this is considered a strong draft...I guess you also have to throw in that it can't be fun playing on this team.

Someone linked an article here about 6 months ago that detailed 'return on investment' of 1st round picks based on the age of the player when they were drafted. The general trend is that players drafted younger have much higher upside (in terms of All-Star appearances, named to All-League team, length of careers, number of years starting, etc), but there is also a high rate of 'flameout'. Guys that were drafted after JR or SR simply did not stack up in terms of reaching high levels in the sport, but many were able to have long careers as bench players.

Granted that's not a direct comparison to how draft status changes vs number of years in college, but it does send the message to GMs that you can potentially get more impact out of your picks if you draft younger players. Higher risk/reward.

I think Channing Frye is a good comparison, assuming he commits to getting in proper shape.

The other thing not noted, as is always the case, his half of the game on defense at Cuse is in zone. He can't exactly show off the type of defense that he'll need to play in the NBA at SU.

You know how many guys aren't ready to play in the NBA immediately, but get drafted anyway every year? We've had quite a few of them just from Cuse in recent years.

He projects as a 4 in the NBA I think. He certainly has to get stronger and show he can defend to get on the court at that level. I don't think his lack of off the dribble game is going to matter as much. Nobody is going to ask him to make plays off the dribble. He'll be a shooter who spaces the floor. Make shots and get stronger to where he's an adequate defender at that level, and he'll get on the court.
Ehhhhh, if you are going to play the 4 in the NBA you better be capable of making plays off the bounce or being able to post up against a smaller defender if they switch onto you in the PnR. He has no physicality and ability to post up in college when a smaller player gets switched onto him. Usually he just kind of stands there and will make a weak attempt to post up. Lydon is further away from making an NBA roster than you think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom