Class of 2015 - Lydon, Bryant, Dienge - who's the 2 guard? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Lydon, Bryant, Dienge - who's the 2 guard?

It wouldn't appear that we are involved with any SG like that in the 2015 class. But, it is very likely that the staff values guys like Battle and Murray much more in the class of 2016. So, for 2015, they are looking at a program player for the SG spot.

An insider on the PC board said tha Cuse has joined in the recruitment of Donovan Mitchell (maybe some of you know if this is true or not). He is going to be a superstar IMO and he is #1 on PC's list for 2015. Don't worry about the rankings, everyone that has seen this kid play upclose says he is the real deal.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...layer/evaluation/_/id/184856/donovan-mitchell

BJ Johnson will be our best player when the 2015 season comes.

I will stake what reputation I have on that.

An insider on the PC board said tha Cuse has joined in the recruitment of Donovan Mitchell (maybe some of you know if this is true or not). He is going to be a superstar IMO and he is #1 on PC's list for 2015. Don't worry about the rankings, everyone that has seen this kid play upclose says he is the real deal.

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...layer/evaluation/_/id/184856/donovan-mitchell
Like what I have seen and heard about Mitchell as well. The SU staff are regulars at the Brewster open gyms obviously because of McCullough. So it's not surprising that Mitchell has caught their eye.

Roberson IMO.
Roberson will likely be gone, and frankly I think BJ Johnson will end up being the more impressive player at least from a college stand point.

BJ Johnson's tenacity, poise and shooting stroke impressed me greatly in the canadian exhibitions and I am very excited to see what he will contribute to our strengthening Goliath of a program in the next 3 or 4 years.

I'm not following why you're convinced we "need" that, to be honest.
Because right now, our best (non-frosh) shooter is missing 3 out of 4 from deep and can't seem to settle down and play.

That was Cooney I was referring to. Not getting down on him ... just anxiously hoping he starts reaching his potential.

Gotchya.. well small sample size so far is promising so hopefully that translates. His body language looks infinitely better so we shall see. If he can its great with how tenacious he is on d. He will have to be careful though as he picked up fouls quickly at times last year.

I'm not following why you're convinced we "need" that, to be honest.

To balance the floor. You can't have all of the offense come from the forwards. We just saw the downside to that with Triche last year. We need a threat out there to open the floor for the front court players, or else people will pack it inside against us. Cuts off the driving lanes.

To balance the floor. You can't have all of the offense come from the forwards. We just saw the downside to that with Triche last year. We need a threat out there to open the floor for the front court players, or else people will pack it inside against us. Cuts off the driving lanes.
???

Gentleman Cooney may not do it this year (but I think he will take a huge stepo in that direction , at least) bu
t either way the kid will have at least one stud season Like ANdy did as a senior. I say at least because it could be 3. He has everything in place right now. His offensive game expands and becomes easier when he shoots well because that is what its designed around. Imagine Cooney as a 40%+ 3pt shooter . . . . . . . . . think, he has the pull up just inside the arc, he can go to the rim hard and dunk plus he has enough ball handling to drive and dish off a close out. Solid defense and a good motor, this is the program guy who winds up a great college player! The question is only in what year does it happen.

BJ is s stud hybrid NBA 2/3. DId you see him glide along with the ball in the scrimage! I know he may not have doen much with it but for a 6-6/7/8 kid he just rolls along with the ball. Honestly he is as talented a kid as we have IMO and has better skills than many right now. His frame will never make him a banger but he is a sure fire bigh time player.

Buss Patterson is insurance! I like him but he is a year older and you can see that he needs major workon his jumpeer, not so much the form but the base. He has to set and take good shots. His handle may never be PG like but his arms are long enough that he can be a ball handler for us. Defensive stud in time if he sees enough time.

BTW MikeG is no slouch. If we take a guard in 15 he better be able to back up Joseph at the PG becuase otherwise he will be siitting and then sitting again beihind teh stud 16 guards.

Agreed, but that's a far cry from a Dion Waiters like talent.

I think we're going to be fine. Obviously you want to have as much talent as possible, but come time the 2015 class hits the floor we're going to have potentially Ennis, Joseph, Gbinije, Cooney, Buss, maybe BJ Johnson's in the mix, and guard recruit X back there. I think they'll be able to provide something on offense.

Agreed, but that's a far cry from a Dion Waiters like talent.

I think we're going to be fine. Obviously you want to have as much talent as possible, but come time the 2015 class hits the floor we're going to have potentially Ennis, Joseph, Gbinije, Cooney, Buss, maybe BJ Johnson's in the mix, and guard recruit X back there. I think they'll be able to provide something on offense.

Well its not like every season we can bring a top 10 pick off the bench. Almost everyone is a far cry from Dion Waiters type talent. He has most guys beat in his head before the game which is his greatest talent. I think we are more than fine at teh 2G spot especialy if it pans out this year with Cooney and MikeG then its a strength.

???
Well its not like every season we can bring a top 10 pick off the bench. Almost everyone is a far cry from Dion Waiters type talent. He has most guys beat in his head before the game which is his greatest talent. I think we are more than fine at teh 2G spot especialy if it pans out this year with Cooney and MikeG then its a strength.

Of course not. Usually that top 10 talent is enough of a team player to fit into the system and win a starting role. Dion came off the bench to keep his ego (and his shot selection) in check. I'm not suggesting that we can stockpile that kind of talent and keep it on the bench.

But if you look at Triche and Cooney's failure to give us reliable scoring from the 2 last year, you saw why we didn't win a championship. If we could have scored 75-80 PPG instead of 65 or so, then we could have gone all the way.

Of course not. Usually that top 10 talent is enough of a team player to fit into the system and win a starting role. Dion came off the bench to keep his ego (and his shot selection) in check. I'm not suggesting that we can stockpile that kind of talent and keep it on the bench.

But if you look at Triche and Cooney's failure to give us reliable scoring from the 2 last year, you saw why we didn't win a championship. If we could have scored 75-80 PPG instead of 65 or so, then we could have gone all the way.
Are you serious? Triche was our second leading scoring last season and played great in the tournament. I can't believe you just said that. We went to the FINAL FOUR!!! We also could have played l'ville for a championship if our lottery pick pg scored more than 2 points against Michigan, but that's neither here or there. Your theory of "reliable" scoring from the 2 last year has less than nothing to do with us not winning a championship.

Are you serious? Triche was our second leading scoring last season and played great in the tournament. I can't believe you just said that. We went to the FINAL FOUR!!! We also could have played l'ville for a championship if our lottery pick pg scored more than 2 points against Michigan, but that's neither here or there. Your theory of "reliable" scoring from the 2 last year has less than nothing to do with us not winning a championship.

After the opening game blowout against Montana, he was 2-10 from three in the next FOUR games. A half a three per game from your starting senior shooting guard. That just doesn't cut it. His defense was outstanding. He's an outstanding teammate, but he tended to shy from the spotlight.

Anyone who was watching saw that our problems were on the offensive end last year. During the season, if Southerland wasn't making shots from 3, we were not a great team, and that falls on the guards. Neither one of them could shoot from three, nor could the third guard in the rotation, who was the guy with the reputation as a great shooter.

After the opening game blowout against Montana, he was 2-10 from three in the next FOUR games. A half a three per game from your starting senior shooting guard. That just doesn't cut it. His defense was outstanding. He's an outstanding teammate, but he tended to shy from the spotlight.

Anyone who was watching saw that our problems were on the offensive end last year. During the season, if Southerland wasn't making shots from 3, we were not a great team, and that falls on the guards. Neither one of them could shoot from three, nor could the third guard in the rotation, who was the guy with the reputation as a great shooter.
I agree with the points you just made, but where I could not disagree more is that this is why we didn't win a championship. We were a game away from playing for the championship, and we did not lose because of a lack of outside shooting from Triche or Cooney. Combined they went 1 of 4 from 3 point in that game. It's one game is my point. Southerland missed 4 three's that game, CJ missed 2, but it doesn't matter. Cannot put the blame on one player.

If you had said that their lack of outside shooting is a reason we struggled through parts of last season then yes I agree, but ultimately it had absolutely nothing to do with us not winning a championship.

I agree with the points you just made, but where I could not disagree more is that this is why we didn't win a championship. We were a game away from playing for the championship, and we did not lose because of a lack of outside shooting from Triche or Cooney. Combined they went 1 of 4 from 3 point in that game. It's one game is my point. Southerland missed 4 three's that game, CJ missed 2, but it doesn't matter. Cannot put the blame on one player.

If you had said that their lack of outside shooting is a reason we struggled through parts of last season then yes I agree, but ultimately it had absolutely nothing to do with us not winning a championship.

Games are not won and lost only on those plays that we remember. Many times games are won or lost much earlier.

This thread started out as a discussion whether or not we are still an alpha-dog 2G away from being a legitimate title contender in the next few seasons, as they are putting the roster together.

I think it's tough to go so many classes in a row without an alpha-dog scoring guard if your game is to win championships.

I felt we lost because MCW, James and Triche had poor offensive games. We held Mich low enough to win and would have been matched up against a team we had beaten in the Championship. I do feel that we were lacking enough offensively as a team and that was why we couldn't quite pull it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom