Class of 2015 - Lydon, Bryant, Dienge - who's the 2 guard? | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Lydon, Bryant, Dienge - who's the 2 guard?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
This seems to be the class (knock wood) - who is our 2 guard?

We need a good one in this class, a big time scorer.

Sorry for misspelling Diange's last name!

Our two guards are Cooney, Gbinije, Patterson, Johnson. Seems to me we are pretty set there for the next three years. If none of those guys work out the coaches did a bad job recruiting. Got to trust that one will.

Our two guards are Cooney, Gbinije, Patterson, Johnson. Seems to me we are pretty set there for the next three years. If none of those guys work out the coaches did a bad job recruiting. Got to trust that one will.

Those guys are good squad players, but none of them are NBA draft picks - although Johnson might develop in 2 or 3 years. We need another Dion type of player to round out the 2015 class - a big time scorer at guard, not just another "pretty good" kind of player.

Those guys are good squad players, but none of them are NBA draft picks - although Johnson might develop in 2 or 3 years. We need another Dion type of player to round out the 2015 class - a big time scorer at guard, not just another "pretty good" kind of player.
It wouldn't appear that we are involved with any SG like that in the 2015 class. But, it is very likely that the staff values guys like Battle and Murray much more in the class of 2016. So, for 2015, they are looking at a program player for the SG spot.

Briscoe is that kind of player, and you can hope for him if you want, but if the people worth trusting on this board are to be believed then your hope will be misplaced. Other than that there are no guards in 2015 with that kind of potential looking at Syracuse.

I suggest turning your focus to 2016 where there are several potential star guards looking at Syracuse, the best of which (at least in my opinion) is Tyus Battle, a top 10, 6'6 guard who can do it all.

My personal dream scenario involves Battle at point, Johnson at 2, Lydon and Bryant as the forwards and Diagne at center. There are a lot of reasons why that might not happen, but that is a huge and very skilled team that would run away with the title assuming everybody lived up to their potential.

Briscoe is that kind of player, and you can hope for him if you want, but if the people worth trusting on this board are to be believed then your hope will be misplaced. Other than that there are no guards in 2015 with that kind of potential looking at Syracuse.

I suggest turning your focus to 2016 where there are several potential star guards looking at Syracuse, the best of which (at least in my opinion) is Tyus Battle, a top 10, 6'6 guard who can do it all.

My personal dream scenario involves Battle at point, Johnson at 2, Lydon and Bryant as the forwards and Diagne at center. There are a lot of reasons why that might not happen, but that is a huge and very skilled team that would run away with the title assuming everybody lived up to their potential.

Your dream lineup may be one of the tallest in history - I love it!

I think 2015 G recruit would be a 4 year type PG, or at least a combo G, not a SG. Ennis will likely be gone so we'd need another ball handler. Still have Cooney, MikeG that year and Buss beyond that at the 2. Lots of skill in 2016 to get a bigtime recruit.

Last edited:
I think 2015 G recruit would be a 4 year type PG, or at least a combo G, not a SG. Ennis will likely be gone so e'd need another ball handler. Still have Cooney, MikeG that year and Buss beyond that at the 2. Lots of skill in 2016 to get a bigtime recruit.
I agree. One of our potential weaknesses is being thin at pg this year. If Ennis goes after 2 years, we will find ourselves in a similar situation with just KJ2 doing the bulk of the work. We need spaced out depth at pg.

Right now we have quantity over quality at the sg but we have to let that play itself out a bit and then bring in a stud.

I agree. One of our potential weaknesses is being thin at pg this year. If Ennis goes after 2 years, we will find ourselves in a similar situation with just KJ2 doing the bulk of the work. We need spaced out depth at pg.

Right now we have quantity over quality at the sg but we have to let that play itself out a bit and then bring in a stud.
I agree that getting another pg never hurts, however if Gbinije is expected to be the backup pg this year, what makes you think that two years from now going into his senior year Gbinije wont be able to handle the same duty? Is it ideal? probably not not but I would assume by then both him and Cooney will be able to handle the ball well enough to not NEED another pg behind KJ, that is if Ennis is gone after 2 years.

Just a thought, but I would much rather have this scenario for a year and have a kid like Battle coming in the next year. It would be a similar situation to this years team only KJ would have had a year behind Ennis to learn.

We've seen 1 of those 4 guys play at Syracuse, and one of them was just a redshirt freshman. How could you say none of them are draft picks? I'm sure when Victor Oladipo committed to Indiana, some Hoosier fans thought that he was just a bench/role player with no nba prospects. Whoever said they need to recruit over him probably feels pretty dumb right about now

We've seen 1 of those 4 guys play at Syracuse, and one of them was just a redshirt freshman. How could you say none of them are draft picks? I'm sure when Victor Oladipo committed to Indiana, some Hoosier fans thought that he was just a bench/role player with no nba prospects. Whoever said they need to recruit over him probably feels pretty dumb right about now

Because we've had more talented guys not get a sniff of the NBA in recent years, that's why.

I agree that getting another pg never hurts, however if Gbinije is expected to be the backup pg this year, what makes you think that two years from now going into his senior year Gbinije wont be able to handle the same duty? Is it ideal? probably not not but I would assume by then both him and Cooney will be able to handle the ball well enough to not NEED another pg behind KJ, that is if Ennis is gone after 2 years.

Just a thought, but I would much rather have this scenario for a year and have a kid like Battle coming in the next year. It would be a similar situation to this years team only KJ would have had a year behind Ennis to learn.
We don't know how good MG will be at the point. Having him as the backup this year is a big question mark. He was a sf at Duke, that's a long way from a pg.

Also, will MG be here in '15? Doesn't he lose a year with the transfer? He was at Duke for a frosh year. So, isn't he a junior this year and gone by 2015?

Are we talking about Dienge, Diange, or Diagne?

Diane.

upload_2013-10-22_11-11-42.png

They do if the have already redshirted. Which is not the case with Mike, who is a sophomore in terms of eligibility.

Correct 5 years to complete 4 of playing eligibility no matter how you do it. The 1 year sitting out is really to keep guys from having whole sale transfers every season.

We need another Dion type of player to round out the 2015 class - a big time scorer at guard, not just another "pretty good" kind of player.
I'm not following why you're convinced we "need" that, to be honest.

th_shaqoohhh.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom