Lydon comments | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon comments

Shoot :(
042D9500-6236-42D8-9D43-36D0DB604008.jpeg

I agree with him. Seems wrong to rip on college kids, and I sometimes feel weird about how invested I am in 18-22 year olds playing basketball/football.

His post reads a little overly angry and arrogant though.

The anger is justified.

I’ve learned that adults are very very weird in that their happiness relies on whether a college basketball team does well and I’ve met many of these people. I don’t get that part of it and never will. I think these types of people were never athletes and live vicariously through people like Tyler Lydon and lash out to them when they do not perform up to standards in their eyes.

People that have never played D1 sports have zero clue about the life. Zero. And that’s the part that bothers me more than anything. Lydon is absolutely right and I have this conversation often because people love throwing shade

I was doing this when I was 13 - I never even knew at the time I would be an adult someday! Nobody taught me to stop!

Also, I don't know why anyone would tweet, chat, engage with athletes directly other than to ask for an autograph or wish them well. Never much makes sense to me to tell someone you don't work with directly that they suck.

Boeheim is fair game, kids are not. If the team stinks, it's the coach's fault.
We can’t critique players on here?

I would never reach out directly to a player or coach. That’s very weird behavior. But to criticize the play of anyone on the team is open game imo more so now since they are in position to get paid and be pros in college

We can’t critique players on here?

I would never reach out directly to a player or coach. That’s very weird behavior. But to criticize the play of anyone on the team is open game imo more so now since they are in position to get paid and be pros in college
I don’t think Lyndon is referring to criticisms like “so and so needs to get stronger so he can finish and score through contact “ he’s more referencing crap like going to a guys twitter account and saying “hey ….you suck “

Agreed, lessons to be learned from both sides

Any fan that takes it too far with direct insults or threats is a total . Players need to learn how to manage social media and ignore the crazies. Social media has the extra layer of anonymity that makes it extra dangerous.

This statement is true for celebrities, politicians, etc. Libel rules are different for public figures. For better or worse that's life as a public figure

As a human, it's easy to sympathize with Lydon's position as a person. Same for players that confront their hecklers in person.

But let's not apply this to run of the mill criticism, and really don't expect crazy fans to change their behavior. Better to adapt, ignore, etc.

I don’t think Lyndon is referring to criticisms like “so and so needs to get stronger so he can finish and score through contact “ he’s more referencing crap like going to a guys twitter account and saying “hey ….you suck “
Exactly

Meh

I get what he's saying but it also gets old when players (or coaches) try to diminish people's opinions because they've never played div 1, 2 or 3 ball. I do agree that people shouldn't contact players directly with comments. However, his last statement about grown ass men/women, that he could have done without.

I don't think he's saying not to have opinions. He's saying to not trash players directly on their social media.

They are NOT kids - every member of the basketball team is an adult. Period.
My thoughts have changed as I've gotten older. 18 seems like such an arbitrary age to call someone an adult.

Scientifically, we may still be growing past 18. Our brains aren't fully developed yet.

In our society, there are weird laws and practices for the ages 18-21 as well. Some things you can't do until you're 21. Some things you won't be penalized until you're 21. This really goes on until 25 for some items, but it is understandable because some haven't reached the appropriate maturity.

As our life expectancy has gone up, and college has become the norm, it seems more and more that 18-22 are still kids to many.

If we call them adults, they should get full privileges of being adults. Most people I know usually refer to people in college as "college kids". Like, oh yeah bobby, nice college kid.

I think I had one interaction with a player on Twitter and it was Fab Melo, he mentioned Brazil and I asked him about the beaches and the women down there, he recommended that I take a trip.
Did you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom