Lydon on the last play | Syracusefan.com

Lydon on the last play

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
Sorry if this was already mentioned, but did Lydon commit a charge as he dished to Battle?

This should never even be in question IMO. The player is not guarding Lydon, the ball or any other Syracuse player. I'm tired of the NCAA rewarding players for guarding a spot on the floor. Jump to a spot, wait for contact and fall down. Please you should have to sit out the rest of the game for doing so. Its not basketball or even defense.

Last edited:
Only according to Gottlick.

I just looked at Lydon at that play a few more times. You could argue it could have been a charge. It's really close. Lydon's feet end up between the defenders feet. Oh boy. That sucks. All the Orange haters are going to discount it. But a W is a W. Since the ref did not call a charge then it wasn't a charge by definition.

I thought the rule was if you get the pass off and hit the player it's not a charge.

This should never even be in question IMO. The player is not guarding Lydon, the ball or any other Syracuse player. I'm tired of the NCAA rewarding players for guarding a spot on the floor. Jump to a spot, wait for contact and fall down. Please you should have to sit out the rest of the game for doing so. Its not basketball or even defense.

I feel the exact same way. There are times when the offensive guy is completely out of control and that should be a charge. But I just don't think that was the case here. Standing there is not playing defense. Let's play basketball guys.

No, but imagine if they called that?
What a devastating loss that would have been. If the refs had called that nickel and dimer after letting the technical go on the other end, ouch.
And add to that SU's assistant coaches mistake at the end of the first half.
Small difference in the actual game between winning and losing this one.

It was definitely more of a charge than the one they called on him about three minutes earlier. That one, though...pretty bad call.
Disagree. I thought the first one was a fairly accurate call because Lydon's feet left the floor and he landed on the defender. The final second was a true flop.

Disagree. I thought the first one was a fairly accurate call because Lydon's feet left the floor and he landed on the defender. The final second was a true flop.

My sense in both cases was that Lydon did a good job of coming to a full stop at the secondary defender's feet. Contact, yeah, but Lydon didn't go through the guy. And both involved flops.

I'm viewing them through anti-charge colored glasses, though. I hate how frequently an offensive player, under control and trying to avoid contact, gets penalized because a defender chooses to fall down rather than play defense.

Lydon looked like a pretty good facilitator on that play. I think Ax, after JB ripped in to him after he asked whether Battle could play a little point and then said "Please don't ask me if Tyler Lydon could play point", should ask about Tyler Lydon playing point guard the next time he interviews him.

Looking at it form Gottlieb twitter it looked like charge...but then looked at other angles and Lydon stopped in control as he hit the guys body...seemed like there was a slight delay and he fell over...could go either way.

Although I didn't see the game, I can say the last words in the ref's mini-huddle in that situation: "Gotta be blood."

Frozen asked, "did Lydon commit a charge as he dished to Battle?"

File this question under, Fake News, Alternative Facts, or Bowling Green Massacre.

Battle had the ball by the time the guy fell down. Lydon basically breathed on him and the guy fell. If this is a charge, college basketball has bigger problems. They need to do something because Howards play wasn't a charge in the first half either. The guy was clearly moving his feet. Giving defenders the benefit of doubt for falling down is not a basketball play. In fact they should do what soccer does and call it a dive. It's pathetic.

What a devastating loss that would have been. If the refs had called that nickel and dimer after letting the technical go on the other end, ouch.
And add to that SU's assistant coaches mistake at the end of the first half.
Small difference in the actual game between winning and losing this one.

This x 100. I still cannot believe they failed to call the technical on the other end then again, these are ACC refs.

Looking at it form Gottlieb twitter it looked like charge...but then looked at other angles and Lydon stopped in control as he hit the guys body...seemed like there was a slight delay and he fell over...could go either way.
No it couldn't. It's BS. That was not a charge, there was no advantage gained. That big dude flopped. I am 6ft tall and 200lbs. I could run full speed into that guy and bounce off of him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom