Lydon | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lydon

some 2017 D-League stats:
  • 105 of the 240 players (44%) on 2017 NBA playoff rosters have come through the D-League at some point in their careers
  • 45 of them played in the D-League this year
  • Every NBA team has at least 3 players with d-league experience on their playoff-eligible roster
  • 17 of 30 teams had at least 7 players with d-league experience on their playoff-eligible roster
  • Eastern Conference 3 seed Toronto has 11 players with d-league experience on their playoff roster

It's not what people are used to. Most of us grew up watching a Syracuse program where before 2008, only Pearl, Owens, and Carmelo left early to go to the pros.

The good players were always back the next season if they had eligibility left. It's only the last 10 years where everything has drastically changed.
A decade isn't long enough to get used to this?

Guess not. They play "Welcome to the Jungle" before the jump ball and the crowd still does the wave.

Syracuse is stuck in an 80's time warp.
Literally almost nothing has changed there in the past 30 years - same music on the radio, same wave at the Dome, JB, snow.
Same as it ever was...

I am entirely convinced that Hop leaving firmed up Lydon leaving and never looking back. His most recent instagram post mentions Hop. And as a side note, Hop's instagram intro thing does not even mention ever being a Syracuse coach: "Coach Mike Hopkins University of Washington Men's Basketball Head Coach | Former USA Basketball Men's National Team Coaching Staff #GoDawgs," and this makes me sad

I still don't buy, I really don't think a kid would base a career decision that big on an asst coach leaving.

I still don't buy, I really don't think a kid would base a career decision that big on an asst coach leaving.

I don't think it is the main reason why he left, but they were obviously close. The kid looked frustrated with teammates during the last 5-10 games of the season, and I think he knew that he underperformed expectations. I think he was ready to go, and with Hop leaving, I don't think he had any reason to stay.

I am entirely convinced that Hop leaving firmed up Lydon leaving and never looking back. His most recent instagram post mentions Hop. And as a side note, Hop's instagram intro thing does not even mention ever being a Syracuse coach: "Coach Mike Hopkins University of Washington Men's Basketball Head Coach | Former USA Basketball Men's National Team Coaching Staff #GoDawgs," and this makes me sad
That bastard. We gave him the best years of our life. I think his instagram is to promote him and he probably doesn't want to focus on the idea he stayed an assistant for close to two decades.

That bastard. We gave him the best years of our life. I think his instagram is to promote him and he probably doesn't want to focus on the idea he stayed an assistant for close to two decades.

I agree, but I am still butt-hurt

I don't blame Lydon for leaving and I think his departure helped the program more than hurt it. The decision was a win-win, imo. Lydon will get paid and Syracuse will have more room to develop talent at the Forward positions.

Lydon's departure frees up minutes at the 4 for TT, which is where he needs 90% of his minutes to come from. If Lydon returned, either he or TT would have to play Center for significant stretches in order to get both on the court for the minutes they deserve. Another year of a Forward playing Center would be horrendous and wouldn't help Chukwu or Sidibe develop.

Lydon leaving also frees the team up to actually develop a SF or go get one. If Lydon was going to come back and play SF, the ship would have been sunk. Regardless of Hop's influence on the decision, I think Lydon saw that he was not going to be a good fit on this season's team and the team composition was not going to help his draft stock improve.

I don't blame Lydon for leaving and I think his departure helped the program more than hurt it. The decision was a win-win, imo. Lydon will get paid and Syracuse will have more room to develop talent at the Forward positions.

Lydon's departure frees up minutes at the 4 for TT, which is where he needs 90% of his minutes to come from. If Lydon returned, either he or TT would have to play Center for significant stretches in order to get both on the court for the minutes they deserve. Another year of a Forward playing Center would be horrendous and wouldn't help Chukwu or Sidibe develop.

Lydon leaving also frees the team up to actually develop a SF or go get one. If Lydon was going to come back and play SF, the ship would have been sunk. Regardless of Hop's influence on the decision, I think Lydon saw that he was not going to be a good fit on this season's team and the team composition was not going to help his draft stock improve.

He wasn't going to play SF and I would put money on TT playing the 5. We are not better off with Lydon not here anyway you look at it. This team needs talent. Something we currently lack compared to the teams we play on our schedule.

We are better off without Tyler Lydon. Interesting take. Lydon would play the 4 not the 3. We tried Lydon playing the 3 for a few games and it doesn't work. He can play the 4 or 5 and next year would split time with TT/Brissett/Moyer and Sidibe backing up. I don't blame Lydon for leaving because he is a late first round pick probably and the reality is staying he probably won't get any better. The idea that we are better without him though makes no sense to me.

We are better off without Tyler Lydon. Interesting take. Lydon would play the 4 not the 3. We tried Lydon playing the 3 for a few games and it doesn't work. He can play the 4 or 5 and next year would split time with TT/Brissett/Moyer and Sidibe backing up. I don't blame Lydon for leaving because he is a late first round pick probably and the reality is staying he probably won't get any better. The idea that we are better without him though makes no sense to me.

I already said he'd likely play the 4. That causes problems with TT because TT can't play Center, yet has an offensive game that should get him at least 30 mpg. That means either TT or Lydon plays Center for long stretches, which is no bueno, as we've seen. Lydon played Center well for a Forward. He played Center no better than average for a Center (yes, I know he was a beast in the NCAAT as a frosh). Lydon at the 5 would not help the team and TT at the 5 wouldn't help either. Lydon leaving means we're playing less guys out of position, provided TT doesn't suck on defense as a 4 any worse than he did in the middle.

The alternative to the above is Lydon playing double digit minutes at SF. To my chagrin, Lydon cannot play SF. He doesn't have the quickness or handle to be effective there. Him leaving takes this off the table, which puts guys who are at least slightly more SF-able (Moyer and Brissett) in position to develop at the position. Both guys, from what I've seen at least, are better off the deck than Lydon was, though they clearly don't shoot as well. If we land a SF recruit or transfer, then that's also an improvement over any possibility of Lydon playing the 3.

To be clear, I'm not saying Lydon isn't talented. He'd be no worse than the 2nd most talented guy on the roster this coming season. But I don't think it would be a good fit for him or the team. Without him, the team can start building a foundation for future teams and play less guys out of position. Playing guys out of position has killed the last couple teams (NCAAT run not withstanding). If he came back, somebody else's growth would probably be stunted, but the team would not be drastically better.

He wasn't going to play SF and I would put money on TT playing the 5. We are not better off with Lydon not here anyway you look at it. This team needs talent. Something we currently lack compared to the teams we play on our schedule.

The coaching staff alluded to Lydon playing the 3, or some derivative of that, when commenting on Tucker's recruitment. Regardless, him playing the 3 was not the primary point. The logjam at 4 and playing out of position at 5 was the crux of the argument.

TT at 5 is really really bad. He's not built like a Center and does not have a Center's game. Talent is sweet; I love having talent. But if you have to move guys to less than optimal positions in order to get all of your talent on the court, you're going to see diminishing returns.

Pittsburgh had a lot of talented Forwards on their roster so they played a bunch of talented Forwards at the Guard positions. Pittsburgh sucked as a result.

The coaching staff alluded to Lydon playing the 3, or some derivative of that, when commenting on Tucker's recruitment. Regardless, him playing the 3 was not the primary point. The logjam at 4 and playing out of position at 5 was the crux of the argument.

TT at 5 is really really bad. He's not built like a Center and does not have a Center's game. Talent is sweet; I love having talent. But if you have to move guys to less than optimal positions in order to get all of your talent on the court, you're going to see diminishing returns.

Pittsburgh had a lot of talented Forwards on their roster so they played a bunch of talented Forwards at the Guard positions. Pittsburgh sucked as a result.

If Lydon was here I think he would have played the 4. I think TT would have played the 5. Even without Lydon I think you are unfortunately going to see a lot of TT at the 5 especially if we land Tucker. I think 20-25 minutes at least. This team is going to be so devoid of offensive weapons they aren't going to be able to afford to keep PC on the court just to shore up the defense. We can't play a lineup with Howard/PC/Moyer/TT/Battle. They will double team TT and Battle every time they touch the ball and we won't be able to score.

They made that up so he didn't think we lost interest after his visit when we completely ignored him to go after Randolph who we thought we were going to get. TT is really bad at the 4 and 5. I really needs to improve laterally to play the 4. I think he was better at the 5 but he was so bad both places it is hard to say.

I don't think it is the main reason why he left, but they were obviously close. The kid looked frustrated with teammates during the last 5-10 games of the season, and I think he knew that he underperformed expectations. I think he was ready to go, and with Hop leaving, I don't think he had any reason to stay.

Still think he got frozen out by the guards for sinister reasons

I agree with this actually. if you go back and watch ANY game when gillion is in, Lydon would be wide open hand up and screaming for the ball and gillion would go opposite side to a covered white. It was so obvious it was comical. Bad chemistry on this team

I don't disagree with this, I in fact find it likely, but what reasons did the guard(s) have for freezing him out?

It's also possible they got tired of passing him the ball for an open 3 just to watch him pump fake and drive.