Mackey McPherson is a solid player | Syracusefan.com

Mackey McPherson is a solid player

44PRIDE

All Conference
For all the heat this kid got earlier in the year, he has become a good solid player. No one has called out his name in the last 8 weeks. He will be a good center for us for a long time.

For all the heat this kid got earlier in the year, he has become a good solid player. No one has called out his name in the last 8 weeks. He will be a good center for us for a long time.

For a 1st year starter at C, he has been solid. Done a solid job calling out protections and has held up better against A-gap blitzes then I thought he would.

I completely agree. He was one on one alot and didn't budge on passing plays but he sometimes struggles with stunts but that may be a communication issue with the guards. I keyed in on the line during this game and its clearly obvious that Tiller and Hay aren't holding their own (especially in passing situtations). I'm just surprised with the o-line that they never substitute especially when their struggling or the game isn't in question. I mean Alexander is a JUCO and Philips is already a junior so might as well get them some experience.

I wish we had 85 Mackey McPhersons on the team. The kid plays his heart out and is one of our better lineman.

If Mackey is one of the best linemen on the Team, that explains why we can't run the ball and why our QB gets the crap knocked out of him every game .

I wish we had 85 Mackey McPhersons on the team. The kid plays his heart out and is one of our better lineman.

:bang:

He has improved but he still isn't exactly an all big-east player either.

I have no idea what game you were watching but Mack gets blown up not just beat but blown up on most power running plays. Mac is a finese player and smart but physically he cannot play power football.

I have no idea what game you were watching but Mack gets blown up not just beat but blown up on most power running plays. Mac is a finese player and smart but physically he cannot play power football.
Really? Don't see him going backwards too much which would be getting "blown up". He might not get a great push forward but he sure as sht isn't getting blown up.

I agree with you. He has heart, but is in over his head. The worst part is that there is no one who can replace him right now on the team. The whole offensive line was collectively terrible tonight, which magnifies Macky's struggles. I do not see where he is currently a good player. Maybe I am watching a different #59.

Texted from my Droid...

The last 2 weeks he has been driven into the backfield more than I care for. He has not been playing well at all. Pugh is OK, but overrated IMO and I've said that before. Our backups must really suck if Hay is a starter. Chibane is up and down. Tiller has played very well this year and should be on one of the all BE teams.

Really? Don't see him going backwards too much which would be getting "blown up". He might not get a great push forward but he sure as sht isn't getting blown up.
Did you watch the game. Did you see us in the redzone he gets blown up on almost every power play. As the center he has to win those match ups not play even but win. Mack is a big part of our failure on short yardage running plays. I have no idea what people see in Mack that is so special. Mack is the only new OL this year and this year we cant pick up a yard when we need it.

This is what terrifies me about this community - its infected with the plague of low expectations. He might be the nicest kid in the world, but he is not a DI starting center. He just doesnt have the talent. and its not close.

macky shouldnt even be playing- he is a long snapper not a div1 center-

Good God. If we had 85 Mackey's, SU would have all it could do to beat Cornell.

He has been better than I expected, but he is woefully undersized, and a lot of what this team does (or doesn't do) is directly related to him. We don't sneak. We have guards chipping like crazy. He has played well for what he is, but what he is does not belong on a D-1 football field. Sorry. And I watched the line pretty closely last night, Chibane has been worse.

macky shouldnt even be playing- he is a long snapper not a div1 center-
I agree. The kid cannot just not hold his ground. Opposing tackles outweigh him sometimes by 40-50 lbs. Looking forward to Trudo being in the mix next yr.

Texted from my Droid...

I agree. The kid cannot just not hold his ground. Opposing tackles outweigh him sometimes by 40-50 lbs. Looking forward to Trudo being in the mix next yr.

Texted from my Droid...

This. While I think Mackey is an exceptional person (I've had the pleasure of having a couple of conversations with him), Trudo is the future of the center position.

I think Chibane is the biggest weakness on the line-Saw him on his butt way too much.

With all due respect, I think you need to take the personal (re: friends with players, classes with players, etc.) out of the equation and view things a bit more objectively.

Macky McPherson is not a starting Division I-A center. He does his best, he tries his hardest, he may have the best shotgun snap in the world, and it's not a knock on the kid as a person. But he's not what is needed at the position.

With all due respect, I think you need to take the personal (re: friends with players, classes with players, etc.) out of the equation and view things a bit more objectively.

Macky McPherson is not a starting Division I-A center. He does his best, he tries his hardest, he may have the best shotgun snap in the world, and it's not a knock on the kid as a person. But he's not what is needed at the position.
Not friends with Macky. Never met the kid at all. Never had class with him. And for the players I do know, I am critical of many of them. However, Macky has been serviceable. I never once said he was a great player. He can play at this level. I think our offensive line could be better if Rob Trudo is ready for that spot next year, as we cannot run a power offense with him at the center position. If we ran a spread, Macky would be wonderful for it.

If it wasn't for his last name, i feel like there wouldn't be so much hate for him here. (Granted, many think he's just a legacy and he wouldn't be here without his last name) But people need to evaluate the rest of the O-line before blaming Macky.

I think we will be much better next year. Hay has struggled greatly in pass protection, and I would love to have seen if Hickey started there before he got injured. Hopefully he will be ready for next year, as I assume him and Kris Curtis will have a great battle for the tackle position. Both guards have struggled, but I think Chibane will be better next year, and hopefully Lou Alexander can fill in the other starting spot. Macky vs Trudo will be the battle to watch next year at center.

If it wasn't for his last name, i feel like there wouldn't be so much hate for him here.

I believe the exact opposite is true.If he wasn't the grandson of a beloved ex-coach,I believe many would be less tempered in their criticism of him.HATE?Chibane and Hay have been worse,but Macky has been pretty weak too.

Don't know what to expect from the OL next year. Marrone has not been one to make changes or experiment or insert a reserve to build depth in his OL. Last year the OL was intact except for injuries -- and that may have been only for the Louisville game when Hay was out, and Bart was dinged up for a series or two. This year, the OL has been intact since April. Tiller is a very good drive blocker; Hay is OK in run blocking. They have some issues in pass protection, but can we really expect Alexander plus a couple of RFs to step in and be better as first year starters? With Marrone's approach (favoring continuity over all else), does not seem likely that he will sit Chilbane or Macky.

He does need to somehow gain 20 to 25lbs to reach the weight they continue to report him at every week in the paper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom