Macky struggles, we miss Sales, and other game thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Macky struggles, we miss Sales, and other game thoughts

I GOT A LOT OF PROBLEMS WITH YOU PEOPLE, AND NOW YOU'RE GONNA HEAR ABOUT IT

065e6c9c7c05ebcf00ff42be50b26fae.jpg

I don't think Sales would have made a difference in the game last night. And now that we have the first game out of the way, can we move on from him? He's not coming back and he really doesn't deserve to, imo.

Guys, quit the hyper-reactionary nonsense about Sales. He is innocent until proven guilty, no matter what prejudices float around on this board, so all the would be jury-judges-&-executioners in the peanut gallery should stop bad mouthing an SU student. Us posters are allowed to mention how we miss Sales just like we are allowed to mention that we miss DC and Bart. I don't see a million posts after every DC comment about how he "is not coming back."

And anyone who doesn't think we are missing Sales just isn't educated about (hasn't played) football.

Sales is what football folks call an "over-the-top" flanker, who has the size, leaping ability, and speed to beat "bracket" coverage. Bracket coverage is when a corner plays outside technique in front of a route, and a safety plays deep inside technique behind it. In offensive scheming, it is tremendously important to have a flanker capable of "taking the top off of a defense," even if that flanker never ever gets the ball. When a flanker takes the top off the defense, the deep safety has to turn to catch up, and that makes the entire defense vulnerable across the field. That's what we are sorely lacking on offensive.

Chew is great, but he does all his damage on underneath routes, which means he is not challenging the safeties over the top. Chew is a split-end, not a flanker. Lemon is a possession receiver, ideally suited for the slot, who lacks the speed to go over the top. Graham is the guy who looks ready to step up at flanker, but the staff didn't get him involved that much.

We won't get away with running this many drag routes on bootlegs all season. Someone is going to have to go over the top.

Guys, quit the hyper-reactionary nonsense about Sales. He is innocent until proven guilty, no matter what prejudices float around on this board, so all the would be jury-judges-&-executioners in the peanut gallery should stop bad mouthing an SU student.

The like is for this.

Let's just get all the Sales stuff out now. Don't want to get halfway through the season and still read 50 posts about derrrr well if we had Sales we woulda won :bang:

Sales is gone and he's not coming back. Let's just move on.

More than likely true, but good to see he is still listed in the student directory. I assume that means he's still in school and hopefully taking the necessary steps to keep his life on or off the field on track.

I forgot the name of the guy but whomever was blowing Macky up all game had a hell of a game.

I'm curious if it had more to do with that guy, or if Macky's going to be a weakness in pass coverage all year...

Nikita Whitlock... arguably their best player on the field yesterday... guy was a beast - quick and powerful and very good footwork - was definitely a handful and might be one of the better NG's we see this year... as such, I'm going forgo judging Macky too harshly until we see him against some more teams...

Sidenote: It looked like they adjusted after half and gave Macky some help with Whitlock on a number of plays... it was definitely needed and Whitlock was not as effective as his one-man-wrecking-crew first half performance...

Their NT was good but I'm guessing the 3-4 scheme had as much to do with it early because it wasn't just us getting manhandled, but guys getting in the backfield unblocked while Hay stood there out of position with his hands in the air on more than one occasion.

Their NT was good but I'm guessing the 3-4 scheme had as much to do with it early because it wasn't just us getting manhandled, but guys getting in the backfield unblocked while Hay stood there out of position with his hands in the air on more than one occasion.

Yeah - there were definitely a bunch times in first half especially where guys got in unblocked and our scheme was not adjusting properly...

Nikita Whitlock... arguably their best player on the field yesterday... guy was a beast - quick and powerful and very good footwork - was definitely a handful and might be one of the better NG's we see this year... as such, I'm going forgo judging Macky too harshly until we see him against some more teams...

Sidenote: It looked like they adjusted after half and gave Macky some help with Whitlock on a number of plays... it was definitely needed and Whitlock was not as effective as his one-man-wrecking-crew first half performance...

Yeah I noticed in the second half I heard his name less, but he was all over the place in the first half. I believe the announcers said he was 5'11 260 - so hopefully it's a case of an extremely athletic, quick NT vs Macky just not being suited for the role.

I didn't miss Sales. When Nassib was able to make a throw the receivers we have came up big time and made plays. THEY GUYS WE HAVE PLAYING THE POSITION CAN MAKE PLAYS - quit whining about having someone who didn't even play every game, it's absurd.

I'll gladly move on. I'm not quite sure why debating whether or not we miss a starter who was suspended is so offensive to folks, but I'm cool with it. I also don't recall whining nor do I recall any posts in this thread that took on any sort of whining tone. In fact, I'd assume most here agree the kid essentially dug his own grave. My sole point was that I think he was our best receiver and something of a difference maker. That's all.

As for the guys that are here, nice to see them play well. Hope it continues and we see more from guys like West, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom