Macky struggles, we miss Sales, and other game thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Macky struggles, we miss Sales, and other game thoughts

fanfanclubclub

Scout Team
Awesome win, a few thoughts:

* Macky really struggled in pass protection.

* Our squad lacks an established over-the-top flanker (like Sales), hopefully Graham can step up.

* Chew makes a lot of plays underneath the coverage, and was especially effective on the drag routes during crunch time.

* Our run defense was very good, and our DTs filled the gaps well.

* Nassib really didn't get much of an opportunity to pass out of the pocket. He sure did a lot of damage on the run, but I hope we get to see him develop as a pocket passer.

* Ant looked strong and decisive on dives up the middle, and he looks like he will be able to break a long one per game, but we miss DC' and it really showed in the 1st half with our difficulty moving the chains.

* Hope Anderson gets back to %100 soon, because Lyn and Scott show lapses in coverage.

* Tanner Price is a good quarterback, and I think our lack of a pass rush had a lot to do with his legs and poise. I think we would have lost if he stayed in the game.

* Kobena's going to have a lot of fans this season!

* Our last three games (SFU, Cincy, @Pitt) will be pretty tough, but at 1-0, we have a very good chance to go 5-3 (Wins: Rhode Island, Toledo, Rutgers, @Tulane, @Louisville; Losses: @USC, West Virginia, plus maybe a What loss @UConn or something) in our next 8, and be 6-3 going down the stretch.

i wonder why we didnt try moore at all today. not the twon wasnt dominant.

Sales really only had 1 good game last year, which happened to be the K-State Pinstripe Bowl. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind having him around, but don't make him out to be something he's not.

Chew looked really good in the second half. He's our best WR.

I'm more worried about our secondary. They gave up a ton in the first half.

The secondary and scheme was suspect. HUGE INT by Scott who was not playing well. We got lucky Price was out. He and his receivers are good. GREAT, gutty win tonight.

Sales really only had 1 good game last year, which happened to be the K-State Pinstripe Bowl. I'm not saying I wouldn't mind having him around, but don't make him out to be something he's not.

Chew looked really good in the second half. He's our best WR.

I'm more worried about our secondary. They gave up a ton in the first half.

That's not entirely true. After not playing at all vs. L'ville, Sales had at least 5 catches and 57 yards in each of the last four games SU played. Played a key role in the W vs. RU, was about the lone offensive bright spot in losses to BC and UConn and dominated in the bowl game. I think it's safe to say that he's a big loss and a potential All-Big East type player.

Awesome win, a few thoughts:

* Our run defense was very good, and our DTs filled the gaps well.

* Tanner Price is a good quarterback, and I think our lack of a pass rush had a lot to do with his legs and poise. I think we would have lost if he stayed in the game.

* Kobena's going to have a lot of fans this season!

The run defense was a huge surprise to me and the lack of a pass rush is a significant concern. I tend to think of pass defense as more a defensive line issue than a secondary issue b/c there aren't many secondaries that can defend a decent QB with plenty of time to throw.

If Kobena can be a threat on kickoffs, that's going to be a very good thing. That alone is a big upgrade on special teams from a year ago.

Sales's stats in his last 12 SU games: 50 rec., 637 yards, 6 TDs. Pretty good considering he wasn't the feature WR, and he was catching balls from Paulus and a soph Nassib.

That's not entirely true. After not playing at all vs. L'ville, Sales had at least 5 catches and 57 yards in each of the last four games SU played. Played a key role in the W vs. RU, was about the lone offensive bright spot in losses to BC and UConn and dominated in the bowl game. I think it's safe to say that he's a big loss and a potential All-Big East type player.

We were 1-3 in those games. He didn't score a TD until his breakout game in the Bowl.

I'd love to have him around, but we've got guys on this team that can fill in at WR.

Sales's stats in his last 12 SU games: 50 rec., 637 yards, 6 TDs. Pretty good considering he wasn't the feature WR, and he was catching balls from Paulus and a soph Nassib.
Sales is gone and he's not coming back. Let's just move on.

We were 1-3 in those games. He didn't score a TD until his breakout game in the Bowl.

I'd love to have him around, but we've got guys on this team that can fill in at WR.

Except for the TD against USF, which was mildly important. He also didn't get many reps until after that L'ville game. I basically agree that it's not exactly losing Marvin Harrison, but Sales, IMO, is really the only proven threat we have (had) there. I like Chew, I like Lemon, but I just don't get the go-to guy vibe from either.

I forgot the name of the guy but whomever was blowing Macky up all game had a hell of a game.

I'm curious if it had more to do with that guy, or if Macky's going to be a weakness in pass coverage all year...

Why are we talking about Sales? He wasn't on the field tonight and probably wouldn't have made a bit of a difference anyway. Cheer for the kids who do the right things and never gave up tonight. Forget Sales. He isn't coming back.

Kobena and PTG looked pretty good on kick returns which will be great to give our offense a shorter field, and our leaders on Offense came through in the clutch bailey with his huge run and Nassib managing the offense near the end of the game, though i dont like seeing him run out of the pocket as much as he did. The defense was pretty bad but its not that suprising since we have quite a few new starters with little game experience especially at linebacker but with time i think they will improve, and the defense was able to secure the win in OT which keeps me from being depressed all day tommorrow

Sales is history. Wish he was around but hes not. Real issue is Macky. WOW does he look bad. Serious issue going forward.

Kobena is going to break one this year. He is elusive!

Just got home and voice is gone.
  • Major lapses in the secondary. It is the reason the score was what it was
  • Run defense good although very young. Many plays the interior were not set at the snap because they were still trying to figure out where they were supposed to be.
  • Crume is the real deal. Almost every snap he was in for he had a push in the center.
  • Linebackers young and will be stronger through the season.
  • The one thing that changed the game was when the O went to hurry up offense.
  • Very pleased with the punting and kickoff's. Special teams looked much improved outside the shanked kick off and the blocked fg at the end. Rupers first punt was iffy but after that did really well.
  • Scott got abused tonight.
  • Bailey did well they were clogging the box.
  • Why no shot gun. I thought that was the reason why they went with Macky.
  • Nassib was great. Escaped pressure, no int's, made all the throws (had many drops in the first half)
  • I think much of the problem was that we have a young team and there were a lot of jitters. This win will go very far in building confidence for this team.
  • Outside of a few games (which we should win), I think we have a chance to win them all except for USC. That being said there is a good chance we could lose those games. Would be great if we get a What win at USC.
  • Watching the Qb's warm up, I was very impressed with Hunt. He has very good size. When AB comes from prep school it is going to be fun to watch those two go at it.

agree 100%, the reason he didnt do much is he didn't play much, we missed DC, Sales and Bart terribly yeterday

I was wondering it Macky was having issues blocking the really quick NG from the shotgun formation. we stopped using it so quickly

To get a win against Wake after playing so poorly for such a long stretch of time is major. The defense looked tentative and lost at times. This is true especially of the secondary. I think after they go back and view the film this will be a huge learning experience for them. They need a lot of improvement. Good that Rhode Island is up next. What was concerning was the offensive line. They are an experienced group and they were getting it put to them for a good part of the game. I have a feeling that the 3-4 scheme was presenting them with problems. They seemed to be having problems getting to their blocks and holding them. In the fourth quarter they finally seemed to be putting it together. Thank goodness we have a calm and experienced quarterback. He was the glue that held everything together. They looked like a young team that have a lot to learn. But the talent it there.

I didn't miss Sales. When Nassib was able to make a throw the receivers we have came up big time and made plays. THEY GUYS WE HAVE PLAYING THE POSITION CAN MAKE PLAYS - quit whining about having someone who didn't even play every game, it's absurd.

Just got home and voice is gone.
  • Major lapses in the secondary. It is the reason the score was what it was
  • Run defense good although very young. Many plays the interior were not set at the snap because they were still trying to figure out where they were supposed to be.
It's a good thing they have time to work on both of these issues - because if they couldn't stop the receivers or get set in time for the Wake Forest offense, it could be a disaster when they go up against WVU and Pitt later in the season (not to mention every other team they play that now has this film - I'm really worried about Toledo now - hope Anderson is ok).

Was very surprised to see Scott get picked on. Glad he was able to come up with the pick on the slightly underthrown ball.

i wonder why we didnt try moore at all today. not the twon wasnt dominant.
i agree need that power back to keep things honest --that was glaringly missing

Agree with most everything but Rishard was torched early also. Keon was the best CB on the field, though obviously Kevyn Scott made the biggest play with the INT. Keon Lyn is clearly back as the starter after that performance

I think this is going to be a great stretch outside of USC. The RI game could not come at a better time. Many of the things that can be adjusted will be worked out in the next game. It is a young team and once they started to figure it out we got going. The RI is key to ironing it out.

I don't think Sales would have made a difference in the game last night. And now that we have the first game out of the way, can we move on from him? He's not coming back and he really doesn't deserve to, imo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom