Macky | Syracusefan.com

Macky

tboxCUSE92

Scout Team
I thought this kid deserves his own thread.

All he has done in 3 years: gained 60 lbs to become a legit D-1 caliber center (including nice accolades), become a leader and a tremendous teammate, act as an terrific ambassador for the program and lastly prove all the haters wrong (many on this site).

I am sure most of you saw this:
http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/08/macky_macpherson_follows_grand.html

Additionally, watched video of Fort Drum and just continue to root for this guy. Smart and well spoken. No idea if there is an outside shot at the NFL, the physical will never match the mental clearly, BUT... Worst case he is a Banker/Doctor. Best case he is a professional player and or coach.
Glad he stuck it out, worked his tail off and pushes the SU brand now and forever!

Most telling example of how important Macky is to the O-Line.

I remember an anecdote from last year about how FHCDM unleashed a huge swear and being visibly concerned when Macky went down in the Northwestern game.

Our ordinarily stoic former coach wouldn't have reacted in such a way if Richard Astralaga MacPherson wasn't an integral part of the offense.

I love the fact that I am eating crow on this one. Kid really has become a very, very good player and leader for our team.
What are his measurables now? AD site has him at 6'2" 290. Last year I remember people saying he was strong as an ox and a weight room warrior. So if he's got the smarts, leadership, technique/skills, and those measurables, why can't he be first team all conference? Why can't he make an NFL roster?

He could definitely stick in the NFL as a LS/C.
Some guys spend years in the league doing nothing but long-snapping. Macky can also play.

It would be sweet justice to see him make a roster.

What are his measurables now? AD site has him at 6'2" 290. Last year I remember people saying he was strong as an ox and a weight room warrior. So if he's got the smarts, leadership, technique/skills, and those measurables, why can't he be first team all conference? Why can't he make an NFL roster?

I don't know if he can or can't make a roster, but it'll be interesting to see his Pro Day measurables. Having passed him on the street a few times, I'd swear he's 5'10". Maybe an inch taller.

(But of course that's off-topic - his improvement has been impressive; he's a hard worker and he'll end up having spent half of his college career being flat-out great at what he does.)

Tell me the Rimington people wouldn't love giving their award to the grandson of a CFB Hall of Famer.

I think he has a shot regardless.

Tell me the Rimington people wouldn't love giving their award to the grandson of a CFB Hall of Famer.

I think he has a shot regardless.

If he wins the Rimington ...SU must have had a hell of a year and that's all good with me.

Mark Stepnoski coudnt have been bigger than 270...he did ok. Taller than Mack Man though.

Glad people are coming around. This was never a case of nepotism. Macky could always play.

True. But there was also a legitimate case to be made that he was too small to play the position in college. And that makes his story all the better.

True. But there was also a legitimate case to be made that he was too small to play the position in college. And that makes his story all the better.
By whom...board experts? Not sure you call use the term "legitimate" based on incoming freshman's size alone.

Many of his detractors have suddenly become silent while a few have owned-up to their mistake. One of his, and in many cases the team's, biggest detractors hasn't posted much since he got pummeled by multiple posters last fall. He also stated that "Jerome Smith's next cut will be his first".

By whom...board experts? Not sure you call use the term "legitimate" based on incoming freshman's size alone.

Many of his detractors have suddenly become silent while a few have owned-up to their mistake. One of his, and in many cases the team's, biggest detractors hasn't posted much since he got pummeled by multiple posters last fall. He also stated that "Jerome Smith's next cut will be his first".
And in retrospect, Marrone seems like the last person who would play a kid out of favoritism to someone from SU's past.

he got the job because there just wasnt anyone else-
he kept the job by always improving-

another crow eater here

This was what I was referring to, from today's article:

The concern was greater among teammates, especially when Macky showed up for summer workouts fresh off a season of track and weighing just 238 pounds.

"You had to wonder," said Zack Chibane, now a rookie with the Bills. "How could you not?"
Former linebacker Derrell Smith, bigger than the offensive lineman at that point, took Macky into strength coach Will Hicks' office for what he termed "a vigil."

"Everyone bow your heads," Smith began. "Dear Lord, when I hit Macky, please don't let him go out off on a stretcher with his thumbs up. Please don't let him go off with his thumbs up."

I think Macky proved there was no legitimate case. Simply looking at a kid and saying "he's too small" and not knowing anything else is not a legit way for our fans to critique a kid IMO. In the same way, I would not say a kid is going to be great based on his measurements either. Judge them on the field. What's the harm in just trusting the coaches and waiting to see how the kid develops? Macky took wayyyy too much crap from the "experts" out there before he even had his first practice.

This was what I was referring to, from today's article:
"Wondering" and blasting the kid in public are two entirely different things.

I think Macky proved there was no legitimate case. Simply looking at a kid and saying "he's too small" and not knowing anything else is not a legit way for our fans to critique a kid IMO. In the same way, I would not say a kid is going to be great based on his measurements either. Judge them on the field. What's the harm in just trusting the coaches and waiting to see how the kid develops? Macky took wayyyy too much crap from the "experts" out there before he even had his first practice.

First, I never publicly was for or against Macky... I was wait and see...

But are you suggesting that a 238 pound center isn't going to raise eyebrows? It's a legitimate concern for a center. At a program such as ours, if a kid has the frame to add the muscle and the skills, then by all means bring him in. I think the debate on the forum for the first year and the comments in the article show there was a case to be made. Doesn't mean it's going to be validated in the end. My point was that the outcome is even sweeter because he had hurdles to tackle and he succeeded.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom