Macky | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Macky

Macky has done a great job of getting football big, but he will really need to lose 50 lbs. when his playing days are over. He just looks unnaturally heavy now. I'm sure he has to really work (eat and lift) to keep that weight up.

i had a 20 minute conversation with my father about Macky on my way to Oak Hill. What a great kid/story. Will always root for him.

He's an enormous success story. He had a good season last year and is primed for an even better season as a senior. It's great to see a hometown kid develop the way he has, and by all accounts he represents the school and city well. You can't ask for any more than that and we'll be lucky to have more players like him.

I do think he saw the field in a prominent role too soon, and it was unfortunate that he wasn't given more time to develop. That's not on him though. I understand the perspective that he's probably as good as he is now because he had that experience, but I don't know that to be true. I don't lay our failure to make a bowl that season at his feet, but he did have his struggles, and maybe we get to six with better play from the center position. We can't know that either though.

I do know that one very highly respected poster that has a ton of football knowledge was really down on Macky and did believe that Marrone was putting him above the team.:noidea:

He's an enormous success story. He had a good season last year and is primed for an even better season as a senior. It's great to see a hometown kid develop the way he has, and by all accounts he represents the school and city well. You can't ask for any more than that and we'll be lucky to have more players like him.

I do think he saw the field in a prominent role too soon, and it was unfortunate that he wasn't given more time to develop. That's not on him though. I understand the perspective that he's probably as good as he is now because he had that experience, but I don't know that to be true. I don't lay our failure to make a bowl that season at his feet, but he did have his struggles, and maybe we get to six with better play from the center position. We can't know that either though.

I do know that one very highly respected poster that has a ton of football knowledge was really down on Macky and did believe that Marrone was putting him above the team.:noidea:
Has said poster ever expressed to you how crow tastes?

First, I never publicly was for or against Macky... I was wait and see...

But are you suggesting that a 238 pound center isn't going to raise eyebrows? It's a legitimate concern for a center. At a program such as ours, if a kid has the frame to add the muscle and the skills, then by all means bring him in. I think the debate on the forum for the first year and the comments in the article show there was a case to be made. Doesn't mean it's going to be validated in the end. My point was that the outcome is even sweeter because he had hurdles to tackle and he succeeded.

I get concerned when I see a player not playing well. A kid like Macky has enough pressure without "fans" blasting him on bulletin boards before they ever saw him play. Like I said, I trust the coaches (except GRob) to recruit players. I wait until I actually see them play before I make a point to critique them. I know this is heresy to some.

Has any college offensive lineman anywhere ever faced the amount of scrutiny Macky has? Maybe, but I doubt it. Macky has been exemplary from day 1!! It's possible to be hard nosed and still show some pride and some love for local talents. Sheesh.

Seems like good genes. Mackey better get humping so we can have 3rd generation Oranges out of that lineage playing in my lifetime.

I don't know if he can or can't make a roster, but it'll be interesting to see his Pro Day measurables. Having passed him on the street a few times, I'd swear he's 5'10". Maybe an inch taller.

How recently was that? Reason I ask is because he looked bigger (taller) than most other players at the ACC day so he may have grown a bit.

22895200_BG2.jpg

How recently was that? Reason I ask is because he looked bigger (taller) than most other players at the ACC day so he may have grown a bit.

22895200_BG2.jpg

Most recently, probably mid-spring. He does look taller there, but maybe that Wake kid is 5'6".

I see Macky at Varsity somewhat regularly, but was struck by the height thing - he held a door for me and I thought "Damn, this dude lifts way too much for his frame - he's wider than he is tall." Then saw his face and recognized him. The 290+ sounds accurate. The height, not so much.

Most recently, probably mid-spring. He does look taller there, but maybe that Wake kid is 5'6".

I see Macky at Varsity somewhat regularly, but was struck by the height thing - he held a door for me and I thought "Damn, this dude lifts way too much for his frame - he's wider than he is tall." Then saw his face and recognized him. The 290+ sounds accurate. The height, not so much.

There was a better picture that I couldn't find from straight ahead. He's noticeably taller and in better shape then the Pitt player directly in front on him who was listed 6'0.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom