Mad at Myself, Not Marrone | Syracusefan.com

Mad at Myself, Not Marrone

OrangeHeel

Scout Team
I have a slightly different view than others. It comes down to the simple fact that I'm not mad at Marrone, I'm mad at myself. I'm one of those people who grew up in Syracuse, got a degree at Syracuse, and went out of state for law school. After graduating from Carolina, I made a conscious decision to come back and I've never regretted it. I have had many other options for higher paying jobs in more popular locations, but I love living and working in Syracuse and the CNY area. It's where I'm from and it's home.

Over the years I've seen my home decline. The population decreases. Industry moves out. There's a general malaise and a common belief that we'll never get back to where we were and we'll never be better than we were yesterday. Most other places I've been the community attitude to a new idea is how can it be done. Too often in Syracuse it's simply felt that it can't be done. An area at the crossroads of two major interstates and roughly equidistant from Montreal, Toronto, Boston, NYC, Philly, and Pittsburgh can't figure out how to be something greater. And if someone from around here has an idea how to be greater -- see Congel and Destiny USA -- we'll gladly eat our own. It's frustrating given how wonderful the people and the area have always been. This is compounded by the fact that I want CNY to be a place where my children want to be and where there are great jobs for them.

Into all of this steps Doug Marrone preaching that Syracuse was a place to be rather than just a place to be from. I admit it -- cynical prosecutor me drank the kool aid. I believed every word he said and hoped he kept those words coming. I centered my hope and trust on the fact that he was a Syracuse guy. I looked at the example of Ben, Slugger Sr. & Jr., Desko, and of course JAB that there were people in the world for whom a place and an idea trumped everything else. And that people who held to those beliefs were able to accomplish remarkable things at a small private school in Upstate NY. Maybe I flattered myself too much by saying that from my personal experiences I can identify with people like that.

I know that there are a million things that could have gone wrong since he was hired and as that old country song goes "we all live in a two story house". I get it and if (when) Marrone leaves I'll wish him nothing but the best. But the simple fact is that he promised to finish what he started and I don't believe he has fulfilled that promise quite yet. I will continue to buy my football/basketball season tickets, pay for my preferred seating, and make two or three road games a year. But what I won't do is believe a word out of the next football coach's mouth about "family, loyalty, and commitment" until he has backed up those words with many years of actions like the other coaches that I mentioned have done at SU over the years. As the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me".

Good luck Coach Marrone no matter what you decide. Go Orange!!!!

I agree with much of what you said. I refer to what you describe as the Syracuse complex. People actually beielive it can't happen here or that it sucks here. They believe that we can't achieve great things here but the truth is that we can

As far a Marrone it has become clear to me that he was simply not supported by the administration at a very conservative and nonprogressive university. He grew sick of it and left. Doug is the guy that believed that it could happen here but couldn't handle those that didn't. He's one of those very special super high achieving people and unfortunately the university lacks people with the same mindset and ability level.

Very nice post. I feel much the same with far less commitment and time spent in CNY over the past 30 years. It's only been in the last few years that I've considered moving back again, partially because the kool-aid has been pretty tasty. My kids are grown, I'm no longer married, and I can run my current business from anywhere. I'm sorry if it didn't work for Doug or if he didn't really believe the things he said, but I'd still like it to be true eventually. There was a time in the not so distant past that CNY was prosperous and the kind of place you describe above. I want to hope it can be again.

I agree with much of what you said. I refer to what you describe as the Syracuse complex. People actually beielive it can't happen here or that it sucks here. They believe that we can't achieve great things here but the truth is that we can
Many in Buffalo have the same complex. I lived there in the late 90s and was watching the '96 hoops championship game between SU and Kentucky at a friends house there. After the game, he said, "Syracuse is just like the Bills, they will never win the championship." I smiled in 2003 as I recalled those words. Good luck to Marrone in Buffalo. Maybe he will bring Rob Johnson back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom