Non-alumni/ non-local Cuse fans - why? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Non-alumni/ non-local Cuse fans - why?

I’m italian i live in milan, italy, and i have been following siyracuse basketball and football since i was about twenty or twentytwo (now 57…). My link with syracuse sports is very strange: mi birthplace is Siracusa,in sicily, and my surname is Arancio, in english Orange. So, when i started following college sports, it was too easy rooting for the orangemen of syracuse!
If I ever have a son, Arancio will be up there at the top of my list! And if I dont, my next dog will be named Arancio, lol.

I grew up in South Jersey and went to a Div. 3 school. My first job was in Syracuse from 1981-1986, so SU became my D1 favorite. I ‘ve lived in 4 different places in the last 38 years, but never connected with another team.

Seeing the post of Keith Bulluck at practice (who was a big reason I became a Cuse fan) got me thinking.

For the non-alumni/ non-local Cuse fans (there might be dozens of us!), how and when did you become a Cuse fan?

I’ll start.

Was a Titans fan as a kid, and Keith Bulluck was my favourite player (as I played LB myself). Around the same time Carmelo and the boys beat Kansas for the natty.

Combine that with the geographic proximity to where I grew up (Toronto suburb) and the Stockholm syndrome I developed during the GRob years, and I was hooked. I have more interest in Cuse football than I do my beloved Maple Leafs (sensing a pattern?)

I don’t even have the memories of the 80s and 90s to look back on fondly. I think the first game I watched may have been P’s last game against Georgia Tech.

I am not a smart man.

Anyone else care to share?
I just got to meet Keith at Saltine tonight and talked to him for 15 minutes. He could not be any nicer and he’s so excited to be back and what the team is doing. He’s so proud to be a cuse guy. Was really cool to chat him up and share some memories. Great guy

I’m italian i live in milan, italy, and i have been following siyracuse basketball and football since i was about twenty or twentytwo (now 57…). My link with syracuse sports is very strange: mi birthplace is Siracusa,in sicily, and my surname is Arancio, in english Orange. So, when i started following college sports, it was too easy rooting for the orangemen of syracuse!
This is a fantastic story.

Cool story. Post more often

Grew up in Baldwinsville, in the long, really long, shadows of the Dome. My dad Loved the Orangemen from his childhood on, he was a Jim Brown and Ernie Davis fan, he never gave up on them. Being raised an Orange fan, I got the fever, too.

I’ve lived in several places but have not traded in my Orangemen. I am old enough to call the Orange by their proper name. Anyway, I love college sports, yet no team replaces Syracuse. Living in the Houston metro offers me a lot to choose from, yet I remain faithful to Syracuse.

My Dad, getting a fresh Italian Columbus loaf and sharing it on cold game days, Varsity, Lincoln as a meeting spot if we got separated, UCLA coming to town and dreaming about the West Coast, The Old Scout.

My Dad, getting a fresh Italian Columbus loaf and sharing it on cold game days, Varsity, Lincoln as a meeting spot if we got separated, UCLA coming to town and dreaming about the West Coast, The Old Scout.
The Old Scout, the younger generation missed out on a wonderful storyteller.
As a youngster on Sunday Morning, the first thing I would read after a Saturday, was his writeup of the game. Brings back wonderful memories.

This is a great story. My best to you sir

Welcome to the Board. I notice that you joined on Friday at 5:21 PM, which would have been around 1:21 AM in Milan. You were up rather early, weren't you? You gave us all a great laugh.

Last edited:
If I ever have a son, Arancio will be up there at the top of my list! And if I dont, my next dog will be named Arancio, lol.
I had friends at Cuse who lived off campus and had a dog named Newhouse. I knew somebody else who had a dog named James Arthur after HOF JB.

Last edited:
My father was from Massena, I always thought Ike Bogosion was one of the coolest names I ever heard, he was pretty good too!
Ike is a legend up there! Massena has a very large Armenian history and population.

I had friends at Cuse who lived off campus and had a dog named Newhouse. I knew somebody else who had a dog named James Arthur after HOF JB.
Is the guy with the dog Sean Keeley, the founder of Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician? That's his dog's name.

I started watching SU football during Jim Browns last season and quickly became a fan of Ernie Davis.. I cried when Ernie died. Loved to go to the Sunday Morning Freshman games and watch Floyd Little. We called him " Floyd Not So Little ". Had season tix from than till 1998 when I retired and Moved to Florida. I used to come North every Sept and catch eveery home game in Sept. Now I am 86 but still watch every game on TV. Can't wait to see them this year. Hope to see them get back the way they played when I was young. Go Orange!
You deserve a million likes sir for all your years of fandom. And you’ve experienced no small amount of pain and disappointment for sure over the years. But you stiuck with it and there’s a LOT to be said for that kind of loyalty. Hope I’ll be posting on this board like you are when I’m 86. Well done!!

lived in Homer Cortland area most of my life, Went to Oswego, then Brockport I got accepted into SU but still had very little clue what I wanted to do so went cheap…. parents have had season tickets since 1994, but I was a Notre Dame fan when I was younger, until 1998, I went to my second road trip game ever to the Big House, my dad and two of his buddies drove their RV to the game I just happened to get to tag along as a 16 year old. Even though I was underage the night before the game I snuck into an local bar in Ann Arbor that was near the tailgate parking lot and the DJ at the bar said whoever says “fkuc the Irish” gets free shots, i still don’t remember how I continued to get drinks that night, being that young but long story short Syracuse rolled, I have been a die hard fan ever since, we still have season tickets 7 of them this year…. and I have gone on at least 2 road games every year since. I’m Hopeful my 3 young boys will catch the Syracuse football addiction as well lol.

This is a top 10 thread of all time for me. Thanks for sharing.

I grew up in cuse, graduated from cuse in 07, married a cuse alum, moved away but still and forever will be orange. I still consider myself from syracuse even though i moved away 15 years ago.

Is the guy with the dog Sean Keeley, the founder of Troy Nunes is an Absolute Magician? That's his dog's name.

Pretty sure it was John Casillo, also an editor of NunesMagician, who had the pup James Arthur.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom