Major Applewhite | Syracusefan.com

Major Applewhite

SUinNYC

2nd String
So...yea. That's not good.

Thankfully it happened after he left here. That's the absolute last thing we need.

He's 34 and had sex with an adult. Who cares?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

I don't. But the Texas Board of Regents does. And if it happened here, it would be another chapter in the Fine, Springfield book. We don't need that.

Pretty weak statement.

UT Coach Admits To Affair With Student

Updated: Friday, February 1 2013, 10:05 PM CST

Major Applewhite, the University of Texas football offensive coordinator, says he had an inappropriate relationship with a student.

UT officials released a statement from both Major Applewhite and Athletics Director Deloss Dodds.

Applewhite says made a regretful decision resulting in behavior that was totally inappropriate. It was a one-time occurrence and was a personal matter. The incident occurred at the 2009 fiesta bowl.

Statement issued Friday night from University of Texas Men's Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds:

"Major Applewhite engaged in inappropriate, consensual behavior with an adult student one time during the 2009 Fiesta Bowl activities. After learning of his behavior later that month, I took immediate action to review the situation. We promptly initiated an inquiry with assistance from the university’s Legal Affairs office and other units outside of Athletics. Major admitted his inappropriate conduct and he was disciplined. In determining appropriate discipline, we analyze the facts and circumstances surrounding the behavior and its relation to job responsibilities. Major fully accepted his discipline, including counseling. We have high standards for behavior and expect our staff and coaches to adhere to them in all aspects of their lives. I believe that the appropriate discipline was taken in this case."

Statement by Major Applewhite -

Several years ago, I made a regretful decision resulting in behavior that was totally inappropriate. It was a one-time occurrence and was a personal matter. Shortly after it occurred, I discussed the situation with DeLoss Dodds. I was upfront and took full responsibility for my actions. This is and was resolved four years ago with the University.
Through counsel I have worked with my wife and the incident is behind us. I am regretful for my mistake and humbled by this experience. I am deeply sorry for the embarrassment it has caused my friends, family, and the University. I appreciate all of them. I've learned and grown from this and look forward to my work at Texas.

http://keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/ut-coach-admits-affair-student-6711.shtml

And if I'm reading this correctly, it happened one time, four years ago. Why is this a big deal, again?

And if I'm reading this correctly, it happened one time, four years ago. Why is this a big deal, again?

I think it came out because a female coach was just found to gave had sex with a male student years ago and she resign. Someone probably felt they better release the Applegate story so people didn't think one was swept under the rug and the other exposed.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

This is an absolute non-story. Two adults having consensual sex. His only issue is with his wife. The PC police are out of control. One of the most popular recent Presidents did it in the White House for gosh sakes. This is 2013 ... where many younger people engage in "hook-ups" and not dating as the older generation knew it.

This is an absolute non-story. Two adults having consensual sex. His only issue is with his wife. The PC police are out of control. One of the most popular recent Presidents did it in the White House for gosh sakes. This is 2013 ... where many younger people engage in "hook-ups" and not dating as the older generation knew it.

Wait, listen to me now - he never had sex with that woman, Miss Lewinski.

thank goodness our mascot JLH wasnt involved

I think it came out because a female coach was just found to gave had sex with a male student years ago and she resign. Someone probably felt they better release the Applegate story so people didn't think one was swept under the rug and the other exposed.
The track coach's relationship was with a female student.

Was she treated the same as Major Applewhite, or other university employees?
If not, is it because she's black? Is it because she's a head coach? Is it because she's female? Is it because of her sexual orientation? Is it because she was getting a raise?
Are university professors or administrators treated the same way? Are department heads or deans treated the same way?

It's a fair question to ask. It's just odd timing... at the time of contract negotiation, a decade after the fact.

Interesting - Texas the state that feels our national government is too over-bearing, feels sex between to consenting adults is inappropriate. Yup, makes a lot of sense. (I realize we're talking about the college here but referring to mindset only).

Kinda OT:

I remember how excited I was when I learned that GRob brought him in as QB coach to work with Andrew Robinson. I really thought this was a game changer.

um...not so much

At least Major didnt dick a Minor

Kinda OT:

I remember how excited I was when I learned that GRob brought him in as QB coach to work with Andrew Robinson. I really thought this was a game changer.

um...not so much

You remember that? Arob didn't play for Applewhite.

lol

Perry Patterson and ARob ... how could the poster possibly be expected to tell them apart?

Actually, the female track coach had an affair with a FEmale student. My guess is that is a bigger deal in TX than a 30 year old man having 'inappropriate, consensual behavior' once, with an adult member of the opposite sex. But agree, in the interest (or appearance) of fairness...

OK so sue me. I got the QB wrong. My memories of GRob are blurry due to cheap (and plentiful) dome foam. I still thought Applewhite was a good hire at the time...

OK so sue me. I got the QB wrong. My memories of GRob are blurry due to cheap (and plentiful) dome foam. I still thought Applewhite was a good hire at the time...

He was a good hire. The proof is he lasted 1 year here before becoming the OC for Rice where they set some records then Saban grabbed him at Bama as OC before he went back home to Texas.

I don't. But the Texas Board of Regents does. And if it happened here, it would be another chapter in the Fine, Springfield book. We don't need that.
BFD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom