Malachi better hope his stock is higher than projected here | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi better hope his stock is higher than projected here

This is the problem- there is no right decision. There's a decision.

Agreed. I wouldn't condescend to suggest that the kid's decision is "right" or "wrong," given that I'm not in his shoes.

I only evaluate it through the lens of maximizing his draft position and salary stemming from where he gets selected. Period.

It would be tough to make the claim that he optimized his draft potential if he ends up going in the 40s. Conversely, if he goes 14th, I think you can make the case that he did optimize his draft potential, more or less.

I've read that Indiana loves Malachi. If he doesn't wind up with Boston or Philly, the Pacers are a possible landing spot.

That could be a smokescreen, who knows how many players they actually like.

Brent Axe had a scout he knows and trusts tell him Mali got a first round promise from a team at the combine, before he even hired an agent.

Funny, if anyone believes that these young men that have aspirations and potential of going pro don't have agents looking out for them before or after "signing with an agent", if you do I've got a beachfront property in Oklahoma to sell you. Who do the NBA/teams communicate with and who sponsors the players training? The NCAA rule says an athlete must not enter into any agreement, verbal or written to maintain his/her eligibility status.

Boston has drafted 3 Syracuse players since 1990.
Sherm Douglas in 1990
Fab Melo in 2012
Kris Joseph in 2012
Joseph and Sherm were in the 2nd round.
Joseph lasted 1 year and was traded in the Brooklyn deal Boston ripped Billy King off.
Douglas had a nice career with Boston.
Fab Melo was the only bust and it was because he never listened to the Boston D league coaches.

With Brad Stevens as the best young coach in the league it wouldn't be bad for Malachi to develop now.

Boston has drafted 3 Syracuse players since 1990.
Sherm Douglas in 1990
Fab Melo in 2012
Kris Joseph in 2012
Joseph and Sherm were in the 2nd round.
Joseph lasted 1 year and was traded in the Brooklyn deal Boston ripped Billy King off.
Douglas had a nice career with Boston.
Fab Melo was the only bust and it was because he never listened to the Boston D league coaches.

With Brad Stevens as the best young coach in the league it wouldn't be bad for Malachi to develop now.

Alsacs:

One correction: Boston didn't draft Sherman Douglas--Miami did. He played for the Heat for two years before being traded to Boston.

The other two players are recent, and probably fresh in the mind of the front office that drafted them [headed by Danny Ainge]. I don't know that he'd be opposed to dipping back in the Syracuse well, but obviously Fab / Kris didn't pan out for them.

Alsacs:

One correction: Boston didn't draft Sherman Douglas--Miami did. He played for the Heat for two years before being traded to Boston.

The other two players are recent, and probably fresh in the mind of the front office that drafted them [headed by Danny Ainge]. I don't know that he'd be opposed to dipping back in the Syracuse well, but obviously Fab / Kris didn't pan out for them.

Ainge also was scouting at Atlantis, so he saw MR play very well down there too.

Alsacs:

Had 2 very good years for the Heat, and then had an ugly contract situation where he was sitting out led the Heat to trade him in his 3rd season. I remember my Lakers, shortly after Magic had to retire, signed Douglas to an offer sheet. But the Heat matched it so they wouldn't lose him for nothing and then eventually traded him to Boston. I was hoping so badly he'd be a Laker and my favorite NBA PG ever could be replaced by my favorite college PG ever.

what he needs is a little bit of luck to end up in a place where he can develop, and then not end up in a
situation where the team that decides to do things differently. ie, NOT philly when they decide to trade
MCW to a team that then wants to play the Greek Freak at PG. ie, not philly where they pick Jerami, and
then end up with Noel, Embiid, Okafor, the #1 pick (who plays Grant's position), etc. ie, not Minnesota,
which takes a 6'7" athletic wing and tries to play a triangle without MJ/Pippen/Kobe/Shaq. he needs to
opportunity to turn into something other than "just another 6-6 athlete who shoots 35%". NBA teams
chew up and spit those guys out.

and going pro as a SG who shoots 35% pretty much based on one half of one game is going to be dicey.

I am rooting for the kid though, but I wish he was back to lead SU to the final four again.

kev

what he needs is a little bit of luck to end up in a place where he can develop, and then not end up in a
situation where the team that decides to do things differently. ie, NOT philly when they decide to trade
MCW to a team that then wants to play the Greek Freak at PG. ie, not philly where they pick Jerami, and
then end up with Noel, Embiid, Okafor, the #1 pick (who plays Grant's position), etc. ie, not Minnesota,
which takes a 6'7" athletic wing and tries to play a triangle without MJ/Pippen/Kobe/Shaq. he needs to
opportunity to turn into something other than "just another 6-6 athlete who shoots 35%". NBA teams
chew up and spit those guys out.

and going pro as a SG who shoots 35% pretty much based on one half of one game is going to be dicey.

I am rooting for the kid though, but I wish he was back to lead SU to the final four again.

kev

Should be noted that he shot an outstanding 42% from 3 in ACC play.

He had an absolute horrific shooting stretch in December that brought his overall % down significantly, but I think the rest of the season is more indicative of his shooting ability.

Their rotation is already full at guard and likely going to add Murray or Dunn. Malachi will be sitting with James Young at the end of the bench.
I'm a Boston fan. I'd like to see Mal go there as a Cuse fan. But no matter where he goes, he will likely be well down on the bench initially, and could easily be in the D league or back and forth from D to the NBA. It may take him a couple years before he sticks well, which is normal for late 1st and 2nd rounders. Of course, I hope he makes a big splash early. Young and Rozier were 1st rounders for the Celtics and this was their fate, although both played some, esp. Rozier for Celts. Boston does have many good guards (Thomas, Bradley, Smart, and Turner, not to mention Young and Rozier), but the team will likely be making some trades and/or attract FAs this summer, and with all their draft picks (which may be traded), who knows what their roster will be like next season.

stealing the idea from sosh poster Cellar-Door

draftexpress.com has
Malachi @ 31 (i.e., 1st pick of 2nd round) to the Celtics
Gbinije @ 53 to the Nuggets
draftexpress also has a fairly detailed scouting report on Malachi

nbadraft.net has
Malachi @ 19 to the Nuggets
Gbinije @ 41 to Orlando

tankathon.com has
Malachi @ 27 to the Raptors
they don't do a 2nd round

nba.com only does a 1st round, no mention of either
ditto for si.com
basketballinsiders.com has 4 guys doing 1st round mocks, ditto

cbssports.com has 2 mock drafts, both only of the 1st round, by Sam Vecenie & Gary Parrish
Vecenie has
Malachi @ 23 to the Celtics
Parrish has
Malachi @ 24 to the 76ers

Last edited:
Better chance that he goes lottery than falls out of the 1st.

Feel like a lot would enjoy the latter.

As predicted you made the same comment you always make about other people's comments. It's really getting old.
You're right on time, my friend. Have a good weekend.

RF2044 said:
His draft position is directly correlated to prospective salary. Therefore, if he drops to the second round and gets far less money than he hoped, it wouldn't justify the decision to leave after one year. I'm not suggesting that he has to "justify" his decision to SU fans or anyone else. I'm also not going to split hairs over whether I should have said "justify" instead of "validate" or whatever other synonym people individually prefer, when the context of my statement was clear. Words mean things.

How much money is he hoping for? Is that his primary motivation for wanting to play in the NBA? Did he love college? Exactly what position in the draft would make him go from happy to sad?

When you get into saying "justify" or "validate" you're guessing at his motivations, his list of things that made him go pro in the first place. Which is why I've been advocating just rooting for the kid since it's his deal.

It's not just your words that were wrong, it's the intent.

Bayside44 said:
Well himself, if he sought out just validation for the decision he wanted to make and is laboring in the D League...

You've talked to him? You know what he considers success or validation for his decision?

You've talked to him? You know what he considers success or validation for his decision?
"Fans" just impose their own definition of those terms upon kids they have never met. Makes them feel better about themselves if the kid never becomes an all star

Well himself, if he sought out just validation for the decision he wanted to make and is laboring in the D League...
It's semantics, but "laboring" feels hyperbolic. People make career choices all the time that yield less money but are what somebody really wants to do. If you love it and get paid, that's not laboring.

How much money is he hoping for? Is that his primary motivation for wanting to play in the NBA? Did he love college? Exactly what position in the draft would make him go from happy to sad?

When you get into saying "justify" or "validate" you're guessing at his motivations, his list of things that made him go pro in the first place. Which is why I've been advocating just rooting for the kid since it's his deal.

It's not just your words that were wrong, it's the intent.

Pure bunk.

Now you're a mindreader who can discern intent? The word wasn't wrong. Your misguided attempt to attribute meaning that you are inferring which wasn't implied is what's wrong.

Please stop heaping your baggage onto my posts. I've already clarified that I'm referring to the only thing that can be evaluated objectively: his draft position.