Malachi One and Done? | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi One and Done?

Well at least you're acknowledging there's a chance now. I've tried to think about how many high level recruits have come to SU and had the season he's had and not gone. Maybe Flynn freshman year?
Flynn, Devo, and Gmac.

Jake said:
IMHO, it's all about next year and the year after. We will have the pieces. This team is ultimately flawed...fun to watch and root for, but fatally flawed.

Agree with your assessment of this year's team but what is it about next year that ratchets up the expectations in light of losing two fifth year seniors who are undeniably the heart of the program right now?

Yeah sure he can go,but being 6'6" and not physically ready to drive into the lane in the NBA leads me to believe he will be stuck in the NBDL for a few years earning around $25,000 a year tops. There is just so mant great players at the position he projects at right now in the NBA.

"And with a new Showcase has come a more recent report from Stein regarding salaries, but alas, the tiers remain the same: $25,500, $19,000 and $13,000. Something interesting to note is that, according to Stein, the per-team salary cap has actually decreased, from $178,000 to a now $173,000.

With ten players per team, that's an average D-League salary of $17,300. "

A Syracuse degree pays more than that I would hope.
Interesting; I was under the impression that the players drafted by NBA teams that are relegated to the development league make NBA salaries.

Interesting; I was under the impression that the players drafted by NBA teams that are relegated to the development league make NBA salaries.

You're only guaranteed a contract if you're drafted in the first round. The second round guys aren't guaranteed a contract, meaning teams don't have to sign them if they don't want to.

We are such a funny group here. We get so attached to our teams that we have built a mental wall in our heads to automatically assume if someone has a halfway decent year as a freshman, that they no longer love us and want to leave. We are basing this on Ennis, Grant, and CMac who left prematurely. The difference is they were all first round/borderline first round. This draft is too deep and there are also 4 to 5 overseas guys who are projected to be 1st rounders. Mal will not leave simply because he has the talent to be a top 15 pick next year, why would he settle for a late 2nd round pick? I get it, we don't want our hearts broken (Happy Valentine's Day) so it is natural for us to assume the worst, but it is not happening, unless we win the NC and he goes completely off.

Plus, we are winning the NC next year ;)

R fan base and this board r full of pessimists. R fan base in general slants negative.

You're only guaranteed a contract if you're drafted in the first round. The second round guys aren't guaranteed a contract, meaning teams don't have to sign them if they don't want to.
Can an NBA team pay a signing bonus in addition to the NBDL salary in order to retain the player's rights?

You are correct on that...

Consigliere said:
Agree with your assessment of this year's team but what is it about next year that ratchets up the expectations in light of losing two fifth year seniors who are undeniably the heart of the program right now?

A shot blocker, post offense and likely an 8th contributor.

Howard, Battle and Mal in the backcourt.

Roberson, Lydon, Moyer on the wings.

Coleman, Chukwu in the middle.

We are halfway through February and there is zero discussion anywhere about Mal going pro, except on this board.

True. I think the topic doesn't die because he is clearly far superior to some other players who have left early. At least in performance on the court at SU. NBA potential, I guess maybe not, but I have no idea how that is really judged.

Yeah sure he can go,but being 6'6" and not physically ready to drive into the lane in the NBA leads me to believe he will be stuck in the NBDL for a few years earning around $25,000 a year tops. There is just so mant great players at the position he projects at right now in the NBA.

"And with a new Showcase has come a more recent report from Stein regarding salaries, but alas, the tiers remain the same: $25,500, $19,000 and $13,000. Something interesting to note is that, according to Stein, the per-team salary cap has actually decreased, from $178,000 to a now $173,000.

With ten players per team, that's an average D-League salary of $17,300. "

A Syracuse degree pays more than that I would hope.

Just because you play in the D league doesn't mean you make that salary. If he's a first round pick he'll have millions.

Just because you play in the D league doesn't mean you make that salary. If he's a first round pick he'll have millions.

Held, Brown, Murray, LeVert, Allen, Valentine, Beasley, Jackson, Trimble, Trier, euros we don't even know. Who does Malachi bump out of the first round?

Held, Brown, Murray, LeVert, Allen, Valentine, Beasley, Jackson, Trimble, Trier, euros we don't even know. Who does Malachi bump out of the first round?

I don't think he's leaving.

Again - now that players can workout with teams without penalty, it doesn't matter who appears on draft board's now. Anybody with any talent should be evaluated, and then we can assess how realistic it is for a player to stay or go.

Yeah if he leaves its because he killed it in workouts...but with such a guard heavy year I don't see who he supplants out of the above list.

A shot blocker, post offense and likely an 8th contributor.

Howard, Battle and Mal in the backcourt.

Roberson, Lydon, Moyer on the wings.

Coleman, Chukwu in the middle.

I figured with all his injuries he would be back but its a definite that DC has another year of eligibility?

Sorry meant nba type guys. Flynn is really the only guy I can think of.

Billy Owens, Lawrence Moten, and John Wallace, though that was a different era.

Interesting for 2017. I follow that site as well, but Givony is the most connected to front offices as he used to work for the Bulls, however I did think having him ranked 55th was a bit low and Lydon a bit high at 18 for college freshman.

I'm of the same belief as Francis that there's really no way Mal goes pro unless he averages 25 plus the rest of the year, because there's no way he's outplaying guys like Buddy Hield, Jamal Murray, and Denzel Valentine in workouts in an NBA setting.

Thoughts? He played exceptionally well tonight. If he keeps it up he's gone.

I'd love for him to come back but right now I just don't see it. Plus he's older, so I can see him go straight to the NBA.
Do you know how many guys better than him are in the D-League or playing in about 15 different leagues in Europe ? This is hilarious, that every kid who dons the Orange has scouts drooling. Do you guys realize Boeheim's 2-3 leaves a big donut hole in these guys readiness for the NBA and their development?
And lastly, taking Chris McCullough in the draft had to figure in to the calculus of the Russian owner firing Billy King. What a waste of a pick.

Do you know how many guys better than him are in the D-League or playing in about 15 different leagues in Europe ? This is hilarious, that every kid who dons the Orange has scouts drooling. Do you guys realize Boeheim's 2-3 leaves a big donut hole in these guys readiness for the NBA and their development?
And lastly, taking Chris McCullough in the draft had to figure in to the calculus of the Russian owner firing Billy King. What a waste of a pick.
Can't say that I disagree with what you said until the last part in bold. I mean can we give CMac at least a few years to see how he'll turn out before labeling him a bust or a wasted pick. Especially since he's just returning from injury. The Nets used the 29th pick on him. It's not like they passed over Karl Anthony-Towns, Jahlil Okafor, and Worldstar Porzingis for him. At that point in the draft it's worth taking a flyer on a young athletic forward with some upside like CMac. Unless you think the Kevon Looney's of the world or an unknown Euro that would have most likely been stashed for several years was going to be better options?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom