Malachi One and Done? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Malachi One and Done?

I personally hope Mali goes all Melo on everybody and we win a National Championship. But of course the selfishness of people who want the poor kid to do well, but not do well enough to better himself for his career gets in the way of that.
Well, I'll trade a last-4-in NCAA appearance this year if it means we're top 10 wire-to-wire next year and return to the F4.

Malachi is one of the two most important keys to next years team. As important as Arinze was to 09-10.
(not a opinion)

Virginia gave him free open looks all day.

Just to note, people on this board said he'd be an NBA 5 early this season :)
Starting 5? No way. Small ball bench 5? Not as big a reach as it seems if he adds some weight and strength.

If you watch the NBA you'll notice a lot of second units that don't really play a true center.

So yeah...anyone care to revise their prognostications after tonight?

Incredible clutch shooting by Malachi.

Ok. Kobe's shooting 35% from the field this year. What's your point?
that the announcers perception (which can reasonably be assumed to be the national perception) is that Malachi isn't a very good shooter.

And frankly I think, overall that's true.

However, the dude has hit clutch shot after clutch shot and IMO can be classified as a shot maker.

When the pressures on, that guy will make a shot. Doesn't mean five minutes into the game, he should be classified as a great shooter.

If you want to argue he's a better shooter than Cooney, that's fine. I still have no idea why anyone thinks Cooney is an elite shooter in College Basketball, but regardless of that fact, Richardson is still not an elite shooter, yet.

that the announcers perception (which can reasonably be assumed to be the national perception) is that Malachi isn't a very good shooter.

And frankly I think, overall that's true.

However, the dude has hit clutch shot after clutch shot and IMO can be classified as a shot maker.

When the pressures on, that guy will make a shot. Doesn't mean five minutes into the game, he should be classified as a great shooter.

If you want to argue he's a better shooter than Cooney, that's fine. I still have no idea why anyone thinks Cooney is an elite shooter in College Basketball, but regardless of that fact, Richardson is still not an elite shooter, yet.

Excellent, fair post. Cooney is NOT an elite shooter, he's a very good shooter that's streaky as hell. But for some reason Cooney's shooting ability is never questioned, even if he goes 3-14.

I completely agree. Malachi needs to develop a reliable midrange jumper in order to be an elite shooter but IMO in less than one season Malachi's been more clutch than Cooney has his whole career.

Excellent, fair post. Cooney is NOT an elite shooter, he's a very good shooter that's streaky as hell. But for some reason Cooney's shooting ability is never questioned, even if he goes 3-14.

I completely agree. Malachi needs to develop a reliable midrange jumper in order to be an elite shooter but IMO in less than one season Malachi's been more clutch than Cooney has his whole career.

Are u talking announcers or posters? B/c among posters cooney's shooting accuracy has been debated for about four years at this point.

Mali has some nice things about his game. but he is not close to what Dion was when he left as far as getting to the rim and strength wise. What position does he play in the pro's other than a 2 right now.

Mal ain't going pro ( I also said that about Grant, Cmac, Ennis) The only way Mal is going to the NBA this year is if we make a deep march run. I'll take it!

Ennis is leaving I understood. Grant and mccollough were absurd, imo

Are u talking announcers or posters? B/c among posters cooney's shooting accuracy has been debated for about four years at this point.

Announcers. Definitely. What I'm arguing is that Malachi continues to make a case for why he should go pro after this year, and after hitting multiple clutch threes tonight, no one should care about his bad overall shooting performance.

Obviously I would like him to come back for one more year, but he's certainly playing like he wants to go pro after this year.

I thought the entire team played clutch. Malachi and Cooney included. Gbinije had the biggest shot of the game. Good thing, cause they were both awful for most of the game. Mal isn't getting drafted when he's shooting 36 percent on the year.

I could see Mal going pro after this year. Thing is google "Malachi Richardson NBA Draft". Try it. Literally nothing from this season comes up. NOTHING. Media wise, at least, no one is paying attention. His stats also don't scream "pro". I mean, he's shooting 39% from the floor, 35% from 3 and has a negative assist to turnover ratio. I think a scout would have to watch 5-10 of his games to appreciate what he brings to the table in terms of shot making, poise, and offensive sneakiness. And who is watching 5-10 of our games?

I really need him for next years run to the Phoenix Final Four. He is key to that team getting here. But I can see him leaving if it is there for the taking.
Also does anyone know how serious he takes his studies? Sometimes that can be an indicator at this point in the year.

I could see Mal going pro after this year. Thing is google "Malachi Richardson NBA Draft". Try it. Literally nothing from this season comes up. NOTHING. Media wise, at least, no one is paying attention. His stats also don't scream "pro". I mean, he's shooting 39% from the floor, 35% from 3 and has a negative assist to turnover ratio. I think a scout would have to watch 5-10 of his games to appreciate what he brings to the table in terms of shot making, poise, and offensive sneakiness. And who is watching 5-10 of our games?

Scouts will. If you can play, they'll find you.

Ennis is leaving I understood. Grant and mccollough were absurd, imo
McCullough was leaving early before even stepped foot on campus. That was not debated. The only reason there was even a chance he would stay for a sophomore year was the ACL tear. I'm all but certain that he had a promise from the Nets that they would draft him in the first round and after the injury reaffirmed their intent. He gone.

Malachi, I don't know. The only frosh guards that SU had who scored like he does, and stayed, were Flynn, Devo, and GMac. The last two didn't have an NBA elite skill or size. Malachi certainly has the size, but I'm not sure he has the elite skill yet. With the new rules though, I would imagine he would at least declare and get a thorough assessment.

Last edited:
McCullough was leaving early before even stepped foot on campus. That was not debated. The only reason there was even a chance he would stay for a sophomore year was the ACL tear. I'm all but certain that he had a promise from the Nets that they would draft him in the first round and after the injury reaffirmed their intent. He gone.

Malachi, I don't know. The only frosh guard that SU had who scored like he does, and stayed, was Flynn, Devo, and GMac. The last two didn't have an NBA elite skill or size. Malachi certainly has the size, but I'm not sure he has the elite skill yet. With the new rules though, I would imagine he would at least declare and get a thorough assessment.

And that whole having a kid thing.

Not to get all preachy but judging the life decisions of kids I never met whose upbringing I could never imagine from behind a computer screen never really made sense to.me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom