Mali gone? | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Mali gone?

This entire thing is... sheesh, it's hard to find the proper adjective for this sitcheation.

This plethora of speculation, hearsay, innuendo, rumor, wishful thinking, negativism,and fairy tale thinking is a complete exercise in futility. (Although at times it has been very entertaining and laced with gripping drama) However, we only need to wait for a short period of time and everything will have perfect clarity.

The "he gone" / "he's coming back" toggling has been substantiated by so many creative theories and scenarios that it would seem all plausible supporting ideas have been posted here at one time or another in the past several months.

I have to say that I really don't have any certainty whatsoever as to how this is going to end up when all the dust settles. I, myself haven't really seen, read, or heard anything which would lead me to be 100% certain about the outcome.

In the meantime... it sure would be nice to get another commitment which would provide a brief respite to all of the Mal-gone-or-not drama show.

So please... I know you are out there Mr. final puzzle piece... or Mr. Mystery Man...Mr. we didn't see you coming, or Mr. Dome Excitement!!!... let's get on with it and check in at the Inn... we're waiting for ya...

Last edited:
This thread should be 1 page, not be 7 and counting. I told everyone a month ago he was gone as soon as those 4 minutes happened against UVA

His name is Tyus Battle. I believe he will be a better all around player than Malachi; Tyus does more things well.

I don't disagree with any of that, but we really needed two dynamic guards next year.

An acquaintance of mine who I've known for about 30 years...can't call him a friend but know him very well, gave me some good info. He's friends with Jay Wright--good friends. He told one of my best friends that Jay told him yesterday that everyone at the combine knows Malachi is gone. And there is absolutely zero question about it for anyone at the combine. Jay was apparently at the combine, I assume to support his Villanova players who are there.

Honestly, I wish him luck. Why any of us would have any emotional investment in these kids is beyond me...we'll be just as good next year or better. Lydon is a better player anyway...

I don't disagree with any of that, but we really needed two dynamic guards next year.

Don't think of it this way. Think of it like an injury. Stuff happens. This is Syracuse basketball. A team can go from bubble to Final Four in matter of 3 weeks! It's all good. The games will be good. The players will be good. Secretly, I'm hoping and praying JB gets his second NC. But honestly, if I were JB, how could I not have nothing be the biggest sense of pride of what I've accomplished as a coach at SU. Not winning a NC is not going to take a lifetime of accomplishment away and he created a huge legacy to continue after he finally does retire. I don't think there's a single thing I've worked on my whole life that has lasted more than ten years (other than my children).

Last edited:
Briancuse I mean this to be nice. You seem like a nice guy and a very passionate fan, so with that said, perhaps taking a little break from the board would be a good thing for you. We all would like Malachi to be back at SU. With all the data we have now, it seems highly unlikely. You've come off a little like CuseHulk in this thread and other MR threads. Not a good look.

Briancuse I mean this to be nice. You seem like a nice guy and a very passionate fan, so with that said, perhaps taking a little break from the board would be a good thing for you. We all would like Malachi to be back at SU. With all the data we have now, it seems highly unlikely. You've come off a little like CuseHulk in this thread and other MR threads. Not a good look.

I often get pissed off at you blokes. But it's all good. I always come back and enjoy the conversations. I have to tell, the first time I was banned I was pissed. But who cares. Coming off Final Foul. Tyus "Kid Mamba" Battle. JBs last season. All great intrigue ahead!

Don't think of it this way. Think of it like an injury. Stuff happens. This is Syracuse basketball. A team can go from bubble to Final Four in matter of 3 weeks! It's all good. The games will be good. The players will be good. Secretly, I'm hoping and praying JB gets his second NC. But honestly, if I were JB, how could I not have nothing be the biggest sense of pride of what I've accomplished as a coach at SU. Not winning a NC is not going to take a lifetime of accomplishment away and he created a huge legacy to continue after he finally does retire. I don't think there's a single thing I've worked on my whole life that has lasted more than ten years (other than my children).

Excellent post...

I often get pissed off at you blokes. But it's all good. I always come back and enjoy the conversations. I have to tell, the first time I was banned I was pissed. But who cares. Coming off Final Foul. Tyus "Kid Mamba" Battle. JBs last season. All great intrigue ahead!

"Blokes?" Are you British? If so, could you refer to me as a geezer? At least, that way it would be closer to a Sabbath reference.

We're doooooooooooooooooomed

We've gone through this every year and nobody seems to understand why we don't get back up to the 30 win seasons.

I never said and wont say that we're a bad team because we're not.

What were we, 10th in the ACC? So 10th in the ACC and you lose 2 NBA players and a 5th year starter. Can we be at least a little realistic?

We've gone through this every year and nobody seems to understand why we don't get back up to the 30 win seasons.

What were we, 10th in the ACC? So 10th in the ACC and you lose 2 NBA players and a 5th year starter. Can we be at least a little realistic?

And one of those NBA players was also a 5th year guy, so we are losing all that experience. Gaining a 5th year guy in Gillon helps but he doesn't know the zone and he doesn't have any chemistry with his teammates.

Last edited:
first and foremost: Lydon > Mal
then...
Moyer < Lydon
Battle = Mal

Gillon = ?

We'll be just fine

I'd rather see.

Battle
Mali
Moyer
Roberson
Colemchuku

than

Howard/Gillon
Battle
Lydon
Roberson
Colemchuku

The top lineup probably is better on the defensive end and much better on offense. Just because Lydon may be the better player doesn't mean it's better for the team.

I think we will have a very good team. Maybe not at first. But come tournament time. It takes a whole season before the defense gets really good.

You're right. We should have done better to force Richardson to return. I'm sure someone here has magical powers that can control the thoughts and actions of an individual.

10th in the ACC? Maybe. But when it truly counted, the team defeated Virginia and were one of the final four teams standing in the country.

Every year this team loses players. And they re-load 99% of the time. I'm sure you were pissing even harder when we lost Flynn, Devo and Harris in 2009.

I'd rather see.

Battle
Mali
Moyer
Roberson
Colemchuku

than

Howard/Gillon
Battle
Lydon
Roberson
Colemchuku

The top lineup probably is better on the defensive end and much better on offense. Just because Lydon may be the better player doesn't mean it's better for the team.

Gillon - Battle is very intriguing if Gillon is as fast as everyone says. Howard will of course be the primary guy in beginning (his job to lose). I think Howard will not pull a Kaleb. Hopefully, he pulls a Dion and comes back with upgraded super powers!

You're right. We should have done better to force Richardson to return. I'm sure someone here has magical powers that can control the thoughts and actions of an individual.

10th in the ACC? Maybe. But when it truly counted, the team defeated Virginia and were one of the final four teams standing in the country.

Every year this team loses players. And they re-load 99% of the time. I'm sure you were pissing even harder when we lost Flynn, Devo and Harris in 2009.

I don't know if you're a troll or not but I've never said anything about Mali returning or going, but the second it's released that he's going it's more of a "no big deal" attitude.

When it truly counted we beat MTSU instead of having to face MSU, we faced the Zags instead of Utah and yes, we did beat a great Virginia team all because of the guy that people want to "Lydon > Mali" which is my point.

We re-loaded pretty well in 2010, brought in an All-Big 12 honorable mention who redshirted and learned the team. You had a healthy Scoop ready to go along with steady freshman Brandon Triche. I guess you also forgot Rick Jackson, Andy Rautins, and Onuaku, all upper class players were on the squad as well. Last I knew we didn't have that for next year.

Gillon - Battle is very intriguing if Gillon is as fast as everyone says. Howard will of course be the primary guy in beginning (his job to lose). I think Howard will not pull a Kaleb. Hopefully, he pulls a Dion and comes back with upgraded super powers!

No way Gillon transferred here to sit on the bench behind a guy who shot less than 30% from the field, 10% from three. I'm willing to bet anything who is on the court to start the game on opening night.

I'd rather see.

Battle
Mali
Moyer
Roberson
Colemchuku

than

Howard/Gillon
Battle
Lydon
Roberson
Colemchuku

You left out Yurtseven lol

I don't know if you're a troll or not but I've never said anything about Mali returning or going, but the second it's released that he's going it's more of a "no big deal" attitude.

When it truly counted we beat MTSU instead of having to face MSU, we faced the Zags instead of Utah and yes, we did beat a great Virginia team all because of the guy that people want to "Lydon > Mali" which is my point.

We re-loaded pretty well in 2010, brought in an All-Big 12 honorable mention who redshirted and learned the team. You had a healthy Scoop ready to go along with steady freshman Brandon Triche. I guess you also forgot Rick Jackson, Andy Rautins, and Onuaku, all upper class players were on the squad as well. Last I knew we didn't have that for next year.
You can try to convince everyone here that we're doomed until you're blue in the face but despite Richardson's departure I still see a roster loaded with talent and potential that 90% of the college basketball programs in the country would kill for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom