Maliq and Jesse... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq and Jesse...

Part Grant, part Rick Jackson.

Nah, I’ve been saying it forever -
Brown has a lot of Frosh CJ Fair in his game.

He’s not nearly as explosive as Jerami -
Because almost nobody is.

And while he’s a solid dude, RickJack was a tank compared to Malik.

Like CJ - Malik is usually in the right place at the right time, fundamentally very sound, good defender, and just makes plays.

To Brown’s credit - he’s not limited to one arm like CJ & Rick -
Both those dudes only could use their L arm to shoot for their entire careers here.
Brown can and does finish with both already.

And like CJ, Brown’s play is forcing JB to give him more minutes as the season goes on.

Part Grant, part Rick Jackson.
Good analogy. However, Rick was much heavier than Maliq and thus more muscular. Their games were/are similar but Maliq still needs to gain strength in order to bang underneath. He is only a frosh, though, so it will come.

Good analogy. However, Rick was much heavier than Maliq and thus more muscular. Their games were/are similar but Maliq still needs to gain strength in order to bang underneath. He is only a frosh, though, so it will come.

Yeah his frame and motor is more Grant while his offensive game is more Jackson. Athleticism is in the middle between them.

Nah, I’ve been saying it forever -
Brown has a lot of Frosh CJ Fair in his game.

He’s not nearly as explosive as Jerami -
Because almost nobody is.

And while he’s a solid dude, RickJack was a tank compared to Malik.

Like CJ - Malik is usually in the right place at the right time, fundamentally very sound, good defender, and just makes plays.

To Brown’s credit - he’s not limited to one arm like CJ & Rick -
Both those dudes only could use their L arm to shoot for their entire careers here.
Brown can and does finish with both already.

And like CJ, Brown’s play is forcing JB to give him more minutes as the season goes on.

I'd say the role he plays for the team resembles CJ the most as a frosh for sure. Different games and style but bball IQ and efficiency are definitely similar.

Like Rick, he isn't a bigtime athlete albeit more so than Jackson was but he also has that really quick second jump to get his own misses and finds space and a body to corral rebounds inside.

Like Grant he runs the floor really well and is a menace defensively in the zone.

if he gets a fraction of Rickjacks back to the basket game within his aresenal, that is all-ACC level goods.

Bell is the ideal guy to have for 3-5 minutes each half. He is hitting 37 pct from 3. He does very little else but has given better effort lately ( relative to his own effort previously). I don't think those minutes as a starter is proven to be effective. He has been fairly consistent hitting a 3 for us early, sometimes 2 but that has often come with giving up double what he contributes, specifically in those early minutes.

So he does have value it's just a matter of "when" you use him during the game.

I also think that we haven't seen if Brown playing early with Bell as opposed to Benny has any effect on how the team defends in the first 8 to 10 minutes.
I really wonder if Bell should be at the 2.

Instead of putting a bad rebounder and undersized guy(strength wise) down low, why not put him up top? His rebounding would matter less, and he becomes a tall and rangy defender up top. Seems like he’d be better there?

Offensively - he’s not really any different than earlier career Buddy - a spot up shooter. We also have a much better ballhandler at PG than we had with Buddy, so having a weak ball handler at the 2 won’t hurt us as much.

I really wonder if Bell should be at the 2.

Instead of putting a bad rebounder and undersized guy(strength wise) down low, why not put him up top? His rebounding would matter less, and he becomes a tall and rangy defender up top. Seems like he’d be better there?

Offensively - he’s not really any different than earlier career Buddy - a spot up shooter. We also have a much better ballhandler at PG than we had with Buddy, so having a weak ball handler at the 2 won’t hurt us as much.
I have thought the same.

I realize that the 2 and 3 in JB’s system aren’t that different in many ways but at 180 lbs he isn’t going to be a banger at the 3.

Maliq reminds me of every Pitt power forward that killed us under Howland and Dixon from 2000-2016.

This is spot on. I came to say he's just like Chevy Troutman.

Not super big, not super athletic, but great hands, a knack for always being in the right spot, an ability to finish around the rim, and the rare ability to both pass and catch on the interior where spaces are tight and someone is often throwing and shoulder or hip into you when you are trying to pass.

Malik is usually in the right place at the right time, fundamentally very sound, good defender, and just makes plays.

Good points 721Comstock - especially the bolded statement. Watching Brown's HS tapes, his court and game awareness jumped off the page. Brown is not explosive, he just quietly makes plays on both ends and never seems rattled.

I understand the CJ comparison. To my eye, Brown reminds me a lot of what Tyler Ennis would play like if he were a PF.

Chris at the 2 for next year. No room at the Inn this year. Judah can break a press by himself. Chris does not have to have a great handle. We can use length and outside shooting at the 2. Copeland has potential but is easily rattled therefore prone to make the wrong move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom