Maliq Brown: Starter? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown: Starter?

I'm warming up to the idea that Maliq starts next to Benny.

Here are my assumptions:

Our ability to compete depends more on defense than scoring.

For all the talk, JB's not going to play man. We ride and die with the zone.

Because of that, three guard lineups are out the window with this roster (UNLESS JB is willing to put Copeland on the back line. I assume he's not).

And none of the players that will get minutes at forward will provide consistent scoring.

That's probably fine, because Joe's going to take 20 fga a game, Mintz will have the ball in his hands, and Jesse will score at a high rate whenever we remember to give it to him or accidentally pass him the ball.

So the answer is to optimize the lineup for the best zone defense possible.

And that's probably Benny and Maliq as your starting forwards, so that we can begin games with the right tone on the defensive end of the floor.

Maybe he likes Bunch and Taylor a lot and didn’t want to lose one or both by bringing in a rental. They both committed long long before we even knew who would be staying or going from last years roster.
That is probably it. But he can't complain with the he isn't ready rant. We should have hit the portal and everyone knows it. Bunch and Taylor might have had to sit a year and if they wanted to leave because of it, well, we would have to hit the portal again next year. Recruiting in the college game has changed. Others are having success with the portal.

That is probably it. But he can't complain with the he isn't ready rant. We should have hit the portal and everyone knows it. Bunch and Taylor might have had to sit a year and if they wanted to leave because of it, well, we would have to hit the portal again next year. Recruiting in the college game has changed. Others are having success with the portal.
I believe you have said this before this off-season but JB definitely built this roster like he wants to be around to coach it in 2023-24

Possible, because Benny appears to have elite athleticism.

But I think your assessment sells Brown WAAAAAYYYYY short in terms of his athleticism. Not comparing the players, but that's like noting Hakim was more athletic than Carmelo. While true, Carmelo was still athletic as hell, it isn't a knock.
I don’t even have a problem starting Brown, as I said earlier. I don’t expect any of the freshman to be really ready. It’s nice to hear Benny think that Brown is startable, but til now, no one even talked about Brown at all.

I'm warming up to the idea that Maliq starts next to Benny.

Here are my assumptions:

Our ability to compete depends more on defense than scoring.

For all the talk, JB's not going to play man. We ride and die with the zone.

Because of that, three guard lineups are out the window with this roster (UNLESS JB is willing to put Copeland on the back line. I assume he's not).

And none of the players that will get minutes at forward will provide consistent scoring.

That's probably fine, because Joe's going to take 20 fga a game, Mintz will have the ball in his hands, and Jesse will score at a high rate whenever we remember to give it to him or accidentally pass him the ball.

So the answer is to optimize the lineup for the best zone defense possible.

And that's probably Benny and Maliq as your starting forwards, so that we can begin games with the right tone on the defensive end of the floor.

I hope you are somewhat wrong because the lack of experience screams disaster if he is blowing smoke around the mtm comments. Zone to me would be porous with guys still learning it and create more foul issues in it than out of it.

Or the less likely alternative being that the youth is mentally more ready for it than we are used to seeing...

I don’t even have a problem starting Brown, as I said earlier. I don’t expect any of the freshman to be really ready. It’s nice to hear Benny think that Brown is startable, but til now, no one even talked about Brown at all.

From January

It would be something if he were a better shot blocker than BW
If he's better than Williams and they both play next to Edwards, our defensive block % could lead the nation next season.

Get ready for wins where we give up 20 made threes but only 70 points total.

From January

Alright I mean wasn’t talked about much. I can go back yrs to when I was the only Jesse Edwards fan too lol

If Brown can rebound, play defense and make shots within 4 feet why wouldn't he start at power forward?

Doesn't seem like much of a difference physique wise to Damone Brown or Hakim Warrick.
I don’t think he seems as long or athletic as those two, but Dean Francis was pretty high on his longterm potential after a film evaluation. So I’m cautiously optimistic. however it might be a year or two until he’s ready to be a force.

Benny, Brown, JT, Bunch. Two have to be able to perform at starter level abilities in the ACC and one has to be able to spot backup minutes.

Don’t care how that shakes out. If we don’t hit that threshold, we’re in bad shape.

Would hope it’s Benny based on his having a year and inherent talent that is in there somewhere, but if it’s not, c’est la vie.

Don’t care who starts game one, but I do care that it’s figured out quickly.

I hope you are somewhat wrong because the lack of experience screams disaster if he is blowing smoke around the mtm comments. Zone to me would be porous with guys still learning it and create more foul issues in it than out of it.

Or the less likely alternative being that the youth is mentally more ready for it than we are used to seeing...
Here is something that I think is another pretty safe assumption:

When the zone is bad, JB stays in zone.

When m2m is bad, JB switches to the zone.

So... if those are safe assumptions, it's not hard to figure out what's going to happen on defense this season.

Now that said, I actually don't think that's the right thing if we optimize for defense.

And there's not a whole lot of optimization that's going to happen with our backcourt players, unless a long dude like Copeland is an unexpected demon on the defensive end.

So the optimization has to come from the forwards.

And best chance of that on measurables is Benny and Maliq.

Here is something that I think is another pretty safe assumption:

When the zone is bad, JB stays in zone.

When m2m is bad, JB switches to the zone.

So... if those are safe assumptions, it's not hard to figure out what's going to happen on defense this season.

Now that said, I actually don't think that's the right thing if we optimize for defense.

And there's not a whole lot of optimization that's going to happen with our backcourt players, unless a long dude like Copeland is an unexpected demon on the defensive end.

So the optimization has to come from the forwards.

And best chance of that on measurables is Benny and Maliq.

I gotta hope for the longshot. A less shitty winter is something we all deserve.

At least until the games start and the long shot faceplants out of the gate.

I think we all agree Benny needs to play closer to his potential this year, otherwise his minutes will dwindle down by conference play.

Judah and Joe will probably play 65 minutes between them each game, minimum, leaving 15 for Symir and maybe Copeland to spell them depending on situation.

Judah / Symir / Copeland
Joe / Symir / Copeland
Taylor / Bunch / Benny / Copeland
Benny / Brown / Bunch / JBA
Jesse / JBA / Carey / Mounir

For a successful year, probably need this:
Judah 7 ppg
Joe 19 ppg
Symir 4 ppg
Taylor / Bunch combined for 13 ppg
Benny 11 ppg
Brown / Copeland combined 7 ppg
Jesse 15 ppg
JBA / Carey / Mounir combined 5 ppg

Gets you 81 ppg

Feel confident Judah, Joe, and Jesse can hit those numbers.

Everything else is a crap shoot.

I think we all agree Benny needs to play closer to his potential this year, otherwise his minutes will dwindle down by conference play.

Judah and Joe will probably play 65 minutes between them each game, minimum, leaving 15 for Symir and maybe Copeland to spell them depending on situation.

Judah / Symir / Copeland
Joe / Symir / Copeland
Taylor / Bunch / Benny / Copeland
Benny / Brown / Bunch / JBA
Jesse / JBA / Carey / Mounir

For a successful year, probably need this:
Judah 7 ppg
Joe 19 ppg
Symir 4 ppg
Taylor / Bunch combined for 13 ppg
Benny 11 ppg
Brown / Copeland combined 7 ppg
Jesse 15 ppg
JBA / Carey / Mounir combined 5 ppg

Gets you 81 ppg

Feel confident Judah, Joe, and Jesse can hit those numbers.

Everything else is a crap shoot.

Judah needs to be double digits for us to have a good year. Unless Benny makes a massive jump from this summer 11 a game to me is 3 pts a game too much

Judah needs to be double digits for us to have a good year. Unless Benny makes a massive jump from this summer 11 a game to me is 3 pts a game too much
I won't disagree.

Hoping Judah is Ennis 2.0, then we won't have to hope Benny suddenly clicks.

I was a massive Benny guy before he got here, and hoped he'd improve last year. Count me in the concerned camp with him. I just don't see things playing out well with him and Jim this season.

The outlying hope I have is that with Mintz around, he will feel pushed to be better and will do so.

If Judah can hit 11-12 ppg, then that would mitigate the need for Benny, Bunch, Taylor to carry more.

I gotta hope for the longshot. A less shitty winter is something we all deserve.

At least until the games start and the long shot faceplants out of the gate.

Starting three guys who cannot shoot is nuts. JB will pull out whatever hair he has left.

JB LOVES his shooters and hates the silent types.

Unless it's going to be the Judah Mintz show which in that case whatever.

Starting three guys who cannot shoot is nuts. JB will pull out whatever hair he has left.

JB LOVES his shooters and hates the silent types.

Unless it's going to be the Judah Mintz show which in that case whatever.

True. Outside of Joe as it stands right now we don't even know if we have another shooter in this group. Bunch and Taylor went through some dreadful slumps in prep last year and now have to come in and knock shots down on a bigger stage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom