Maliq Brown: Starter? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown: Starter?

Does what you do in a game count?

Because per minute, Brown has been our most productive forward.
against who though? And we really dont know what he is being told to do. 3-4 min a game you make 2 plays and the stats look good.. You cant really extrapolate what he did vs NE to mean too much and 4/4 a game isnt changing the needle. That was a 30 pt game he had his real stats in.

Rumor is he may have a nagging injury.

Copeland isn’t playing either.

Could just be JB shortening his rotation per usual and he trusts JBA over the freshman at the moment.
Still figuring this out as well... Hope the answer is an minor injury vice just not playing him for JBA..

I really wonder what people would think if they really knew the reasons for why JB plays people over others.. pretty clear he gives you time based on what you earn in practice and now what random fans on a message board who have never coached think.,
I don’t think that’s clear at all. I know that’s what JB says, but he says a lot of weird things.

against who though? And we really dont know what he is being told to do. 3-4 min a game you make 2 plays and the stats look good.. You cant really extrapolate what he did vs NE to mean too much and 4/4 a game isnt changing the needle. That was a 30 pt game he had his real stats in.
Same teams everybody else was playing against.

Copeland brings energy but little else. He can’t shoot or play defense. I’m not sure why fans are so enamored with his play. He’s a turnover waiting to happen. He can dribble and is an excellent passer to the other team.
You can't just look at him in a bubble right now as freshman... Got to look at his potential. Right now he probably has some of the best vision out of our players, you can build on that. I'm not sure how much time he's spent without having the ball in his hands more as a lead guard but the 3 doesn't seem familiar to him. He's energetic, athletic and plays with heart. I would definitely find minutes for him when I could, it will pay off in the long run.

Forgot to mention Maliq Brown. I really like him. He is super efficient in the way he plays and has shown an ability to rebound but I think JB wants some scoring from the wing and I don't think Brown has taken a jump shot outside the paint. He is more of a PF so he is playing behind Benny in that role.

Brown is not hurt.
Similar to what I said about Copeland... Brown has great building blocks to start with. Hopefully Coach has a big picture plan for him, can't see mortgaging him long term for JBA to play right now.

Forgot to mention Maliq Brown. I really like him. He is super efficient in the way he plays and has shown an ability to rebound but I think JB wants some scoring from the wing and I don't think Brown has taken a jump shot outside the paint. He is more of a PF so he is playing behind Benny in that role.
But... maybe he's the answer for more rebounding??

894DCC33-8C05-4F73-93B6-52BE2C992F93.jpeg

I don’t understand playing Bol. Great kid but come on
Without him, they lose the game at Notre Dame. If he can hit some shots from the free throw area and get some boards, he will be a huge net+.

Rumor is he may have a nagging injury.

Copeland isn’t playing either.

Could just be JB shortening his rotation per usual and he trusts JBA over the freshman at the moment.
But his freshmen (best class ever) are doing well.

So let them grow through their mistakes and get them ready for later in the year and next.

No value in sitting kids - no reason they can't get a couple minute spells here and there throughout the season to get real action at this level, and if they make a mistake, learn from that mistake in real time.

I suspect JBA is playing because he knows the zone and does a great job at setting up the rest of the guys with his passing. No doubt Brown has much higher upside, but I suspect neither of this attributes are strengths of his.

JB has always been a "win now" coach and I don't see that changing this season. If he feels Jon Bol gives him a better chance that's the way it will go. Copeland and Brown both have nice potential. Brown needs to at least develop a mid range game and beef up so that he can be a big time contributor as a defender and rebounder. Copeland is an exciting prospect but not ready for prime time this season, especially with 3 guards clearly ahead of him in the rotation. I do love the way he can penetrate and get to the basket but his shooting needs an off season of work.

I suspect JBA is playing because he knows the zone and does a great job at setting up the rest of the guys with his passing. No doubt Brown has much higher upside, but I suspect neither of this attributes are strengths of his.
Another question that could be asked is, why is Benny playing over Brown? I would suspect that “perimeter defense” would be the only accurate answer, though maybe they also feel he still offers more perimeter offensive potential too?

It’s just weird that every other forward is in there, but the forward who probably did the most things in the first few games can’t get on the court despite an overall huge lack of production at forward.

I’d offer that perhaps in these forward’s “good” games, they don’t need to play an entire half without coming out because ultimately they really aren’t doing all that much out there.

I don’t understand playing Bol. Great kid but come on

It all comes down to whether JB trusts the player.

If he trusts you, then you play. If he doesn't trust you, then you either don't play, or get a quick hook.

I'm a little puzzled by jba getting so many minutes, but he hasn't performed badly. I just hate to see it at the expense of Brown, I think has way more upside.

But ultimately, I think it's really interesting that jba might be getting minutes over benny, a former five star. Crazy.

You can't just look at him in a bubble right now as freshman... Got to look at his potential. Right now he probably has some of the best vision out of our players, you can build on that. I'm not sure how much time he's spent without having the ball in his hands more as a lead guard but the 3 doesn't seem familiar to him. He's energetic, athletic and plays with heart. I would definitely find minutes for him when I could, it will pay off in the long run.
I didn’t say he would never play but his current passing is to the wrong team . I’m not going to lose games because he may have potential.

I really wonder what people would think if they really knew the reasons for why JB plays people over others.. pretty clear he gives you time based on what you earn in practice and now what random fans on a message board who have never coached think.,
I don't mean to be harsh about this but for whatever his reasons JB is more comfortable having some guys on the floor than others, and it doesn't really seem to correlate with what impact they have on the floor.

I didn’t say he would never play but his current passing is to the wrong team . I’m not going to lose games because he may have potential.
We ran with a PG for 30-35 mpg for 3 years who couldn’t dribble past halfcourt if the opponent didn’t want him to. Turnovers that physically cannot be helped are far more concerning to me.

Copeland’s turnovers are correctable, and with more experience he’ll almost certainly improve on them.

I wouldn’t have played him against ND. But against St. John’s - maybe. Against Illinois when we had zero chance to win anyway? Certainly.

Another question that could be asked is, why is Benny playing over Brown? I would suspect that “perimeter defense” would be the only accurate answer, though maybe they also feel he still offers more perimeter offensive potential too?

It’s just weird that every other forward is in there, but the forward who probably did the most things in the first few games can’t get on the court despite an overall huge lack of production at forward.

I’d offer that perhaps in these forward’s “good” games, they don’t need to play an entire half without coming out because ultimately they really aren’t doing all that much out there.
It’s funny because last season everyone thought Benny didn’t play enough. He’s shooting 38% from the forward position and less than 5 rebounds a game. Based on yesterdays presser it feels like JB is rapidly running out of patience with him. I guess we need to see how it plays out, because I suspect there will be changes if we don’t improve on the glass outside of Edwards.

We ran with a PG for 30-35 mpg for 3 years who couldn’t dribble past halfcourt if the opponent didn’t want him to. Turnovers that physically cannot be helped are far more concerning to me.

Copeland’s turnovers are correctable, and with more experience he’ll almost certainly improve on them.

I wouldn’t have played him against ND. But against St. John’s - maybe. Against Illinois when we had zero chance to win anyway? Certainly.
I kind of get Copeland not playing. Our turnovers are extremely low. We need to keep it that way if we have any chance of winning because we can’t shoot. Blowouts sure.

It’s funny because last season everyone thought Benny didn’t play enough. He’s shooting 38% from the forward position and less than 5 rebounds a game. Based on yesterdays presser it feels like JB is rapidly running out of patience with him. I guess we need to see how it plays out, because I suspect there will be changes if we don’t improve on the glass outside of Edwards.
I’m not surprised JB is getting tired of him, he just doesn’t offer anything special to the team other than a year of experience. It’s very disappointing

I kind of get Copeland not playing. Our turnovers are extremely low. We need to keep it that way if we have any chance of winning because we can’t shoot. Blowouts sure.
I would agree. Though in games like Illinois where our offense is dead in the water anyway, maybe it’s worth giving him a crack and seeing if he can get to the hole, or drive and dish?

Otherwise, I agree.

He is certainly getting a large opportunity so far.

Given our overall lack of production at forward, I don’t think he should stop playing.

But I also don’t think he’s ever a 40 mpg guy either.

I’m not surprised JB is getting tired of him, he just doesn’t offer anything special to the team other than a year of experience. It’s very disappointing
I know Benny can grab more boards but Bol and Bell get zero basically

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom