Maliq Brown stats are quite unusual too | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown stats are quite unusual too

is it me or does it appear maliq spends more time defensively at the top of the key than under the basket ? does anyone else see this as a defensive issue ?

is it me or does it appear maliq spends more time defensively at the top of the key than under the basket ? does anyone else see this as a defensive issue ?
No sure anyone should defend from under the basket. The pick and roll brings the big out top because his man goes out top. Our biggest issue with that is our starting guards refuse to go over the screen, which screws up the defensive assignment and leaves the ball handler open, or a mismatch.

Yes, teams are trying to draw our only rebounder away from the basket. The only other option is zone...which they will draw him away with a guy in the high post. Is what it is.

Edit: And as Capt. explained...if Maliq doesn't come up and hedge will be a wide open 3 because of our guards

No sure anyone should defend from under the basket. The pick and roll brings the big out top because his man goes out top. Our biggest issue with that is our starting guards refuse to go over the screen, which screws up the defensive assignment and leaves the ball handler open, or a mismatch.
well sherman douglas would be slipping in his own drool crossing mid court with maliq brown challenging him out top and bell and jt guarding the baseline.

You’re doing some really crazy cuts and combos of data. Of course the output is going to show “unique” results.
Well yeah. I just think it's a fun piece of trivia

One reason it's unique is because most teams would have that guy more involved on offense I think which would probably reduce his 2p%

Two edged sword.

He does a lot of damage at the top with steals and tips and helping the guards.

The flip side is that it hurts his rebounding and ability to defend the lane, which is not his forte to begin with.

All in all, I would like it to be more situational. For example if we are getting killed on the glass he stays in the lane close to the hoop. If an opposing guard gets hot, he goes up top more to be disruptive.

Let's also remember that Q can do similar things up top. I would like to see lineups with Brown at PF, so he can disrupt up top and have to worry less about getting back. Q and Brown running free as disrupters without worrying about getting back would be interesting to see.

Let’s not forget he’s a sharpshooter from deep

Let’s not forget he’s a sharpshooter from deep
If you include his 3p% that knocks Zion off the list ha

For real, I think they can get him more involved, I hope it happens next year. I think he can do more

As of today, Maliq has 61 steals. The next closest guy on the team is Judah with 57. It is unheard of for a big to lead the team in steals.

Further, Maliq is currently leading the entire ACC conference in steals. Judah is third and Quadir is 10th.

This is a very strange team.

Steals.jpg

As of today, Maliq has 61 steals. The next closest guy on the team is Judah with 57. It is unheard of for a big to lead the team in steals.

Further, Maliq is currently leading the entire ACC conference in steals. Judah is third and Quadir is 10th.

View attachment 238009

Strange is the right word for it. None of us really know how to feel about it either. I have no idea what I think of Autry. I can't believe they've won this much. I don't really understand what they're trying to do. It's all baffling

View attachment 238009

Very strange. Posted this last week but steals don’t necessarily mean great defense is being played. SU is near the top in all D1 in steals per game, only other P6 teams ahead are Houston and lowa state and both of them are elite teams on D.

Very strange. Posted this last week but steals don’t necessarily mean great defense is being played. SU is near the top in all D1 in steals per game, only other P6 teams ahead are Houston and lowa state and both of them are elite teams on D.
I think all 3 of our 'high steal guys' often forgo solid positional defense to try and get steals. Judah most of all.

This is fine when the rest of the defense is alert such that when a player beats his defender, someone else on defense see this and picks him up quickly.

One of our fundamental defensive problems is, when one of our defenders gets beat (which happens a lot), no one picks him up and he is left free to drive to the basket for a layup, completely unopposed.

Gambling for steals has to be done in concert with an uber aware, reactive defense that fills in when players are beat.

About the only player that does this consistently is Justin Taylor, which is surely one of the reasons he still gets playing time.

It is unheard of for a big to lead the team in steals.
Especially one who doesn't lead his team in minutes played.

Players listed as Forwards or Centers in the ACC since 2009-10 with more than 50 steals in fewer than 1,000* minutes played:
1) Zion Williamson (18-19) - 70 steals
2) Maliq Brown (23-24) - 61 steals
3) Jeff Allen (09-10) - 59 steals
4) Chris Singleton (10-11) - 55 steals
5) JP Tokoto (13-14) - 55 steals
6) Ray Spalding (17-18) - 54 steals
7) Chris Jones (14-15) - 53 steals

* Maliq is at 758 minutes played and to cross 1,000 minutes with a minimum of 5 games remaining, he'd have to average 48 mpg OR more likely get to a 7th game (34 mpg).

Great point and as much as I enjoy SWC, one of the flaws I see with net points as far as defense. If you get 2 or 3 steals, but your man scores 20-30 points, I wouldn't consider that a great defensive effort.

Great point and as much as I enjoy SWC, one of the flaws I see with net points as far as defense. If you get 2 or 3 steals, but your man scores 20-30 points, I wouldn't consider that a great defensive effort.

I'm only summarizing what the box score tells us. I've always said that it doesn't measure 'sneaker-to-sneaker' defense, which is ultimately more important than blocks and steals. I would say in general, (very general) that players who play the most minutes have to be at least decent defensive players to play that much. There are exceptions when they are productive in other ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom