Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

I agree with all this but the best friend leaving part. Why would he care that JT hit the portal because they won't be playing on the same team at their next stop anyways. JT will probably be going down a step from cuse and Maliq will be a hot commodity so that seems irrelevant.
just less incentive to stay imo. Came in together, maybe hed feel guilty leaving Taylor if Justin ended up staying. It doesnt help is all im saying…

I see him at a much bigger/traditional power than Clemson. He's the perfect complementary option/glue-guy for a top 5-15 team.
That's interesting - I love Maliq's game but it was perhaps overstated simply by playing here with our roster that was extremely limited in terms of knowing how to play the game of basketball. Top 5 teams this year are who UCONN, Houston, Purdue, UNC maybe...he wouldn't start at any of those schools.

Clemson was mentioned and I am not even sure he starts there - Dad bod and Hall in place.

As you mentioned he does a ton of great things but his offense is unproven and he is not an uber athlete...if starting is his main issue...

He will have a ton of suitors but it will be interesting where he ends up - personally I think UVA would be a perfect fit for him. Wherever he ends up I wish him well and will miss his approach to the game.

He's a tweener without a handle or outside shot. Great backup at 4 and 5 but not a starter at either spot if you want to get back to being a stronger team
I think you're right and it's kinda hard to admit that because he was so steady and a bright spot for us this year. He's so consistent and dependable, yet somewhat limited. It really sucks because he's the kind of guy (before nil/portal) we could just bring off the bench. Problem is, now kids want to start. The other issue, because of our roster issues, he started this year when he really should not have so of course, he doesn't want to take a step backwards.

He's a tweener without a handle or outside shot. Great backup at 4 and 5 but not a starter at either spot if you want to get back to being a stronger team
all the best teams in the final 16 or 8 have SCORERS as bigs...guys that can dribble, get their own...shoot...etc

as good as brown is...hes not that

he was a 3 star for a reason

i doubt he's leaving against the coach's wishes

Dang...I did not expect this. This hurts. Our best defender, a glue guy, and he always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. Also, most importantly, he seems to be a great kid. A silent leader. With that said, I do believe he is replaceable. This 100% puts way more pressure on Red and company though to crush it in the portal.

Safe to say with this move Freeman is for sure the starting 4. Red needs to bring in a big time impact starting 5, and a solid depth piece that can play the 3/4 to come off the bench. We have a lot of space for portal adds...Red needs to bring in some studs. I'll miss watching Maliq annoy opposing teams by poking the ball loose 4 times a game.

He led the team in PER, eFG%, WS/40 and BPM.

He is undervalued on this board by most. Efficiency IS the name of the game. So our efficiency and our defense and our arguably best passer and by far our best screener just walked out the door.

This is very bad.

And led the ACC in steals as a center and made the all ACC defensive team.

I told Dean Francis that Maliq would transfer if we didn't get a true Center. And Maliq was forced to play the 5. But our coaches have a hard on for him to play the 5... well he's gone now and now we have to look for his replacement... HUGE Loss...

This one sucks A LOT and not what I was expecting, like most. Maliq had become a top 5 favorite player of mine but looks like that's going to have to drop unfortunately. That'll show 'em.

Truly just chaos these days.

Brown is a nice player.

He is overvalued on this board. This is not me bashing but you’d think we lost an All-ACC player.

He’s a consistent, solid 4 man who played out of position and would likely need to again with the roster construct the way it is.

Let’s wait and see what happens with this staff opening and the roster. A lot of work to be done, but a lot of opportunities out there as well.
He absolutely could be an All-ACC player.

I’m surprised Maliq came out earlier and said he was staying.

I’ve been saying this for weeks - Donnie and Maliq are both starters on next years team. If that was the case, we’d still get killed in the paint and on the boards. They’re both best suited as 4s. Neither can play the 3. Red knows he needs size in the portal

Whoever wants a prototype big bodied 5, our best chance to get one was having Maliq (or Donnie) not be here next year.

Maliq isn’t coming off the bench, Donnie isn’t coming off the bench, and a legit center from the portal also isn’t coming off the bench.

Not sure what people expected
Yeah I kept telling my friends I didn’t really understand why Maliq wouldn’t portal with Freeman coming in. Someone was going to end up unhappy there and I don’t think their skill sets mesh well either. Sucks though.

He led the team in PER, eFG%, WS/40 and BPM.

He is undervalued on this board by most. Efficiency IS the name of the game. So our efficiency and our defense and our arguably best passer and by far our best screener just walked out the door.

This is very bad.
Just wait and see. And have faith that Autry is able to figure it out.

If he doesn’t then we will be on the market for a premiere coach sooner than later.

Either way, Maliq was a piece. Not someone who is going to consistently be the best player on a Top 20 team. We need more of those types.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom