Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 86 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you here that it is all about Donnie, but I think the timing of when Maliq left made Lampkin come into the discussion. Donnie was already in the fold when Maliq announced he was staying. It wasn't until Lampkin was in consideration that Maliq decided to leave. This could have been random coincidence, but I think this is why so many on the board bring it up.
That's a good point, but I think the timing mostly relates to when Scheyer tampered. At the time he told Donna he's all about loyalty and will return next year, Scheyer probably hadn't submitted his bid yet.

So, under your theory, Bill Belichick and Nick Saban aren’t leaders. Lebron is not a leader. Carmelo is not a leader. They all left jobs and took more money.
Lol in what world is Maliq comparable to any of these people? This is such a reach.

How about showing respect for the program who took a shot at you, then developed you, on your way out?

We have a losing record last year without Maliq and he would have been our most important player again this season. The dude will start for a top 5 team in the country this season and there will still be nonsense posted on here about him.

I truly hope that he fails miserably and Dook goes 9-21 but I won't lie to myself about him as a player.

For those wondering where I also got my stat expectations for Maliq-

This is what he has for SU

So obviously a lot could come out differently especially when you factor working in new guys into both situations.

We have a losing record last year without Maliq and he would have been our most important player again this season. The dude will start for a top 5 team in the country this season and there will still be nonsense posted on here about him.

I truly hope that he fails miserably and Dook goes 9-21 but I won't lie to myself about him as a player.
Donnie and Lamkin will give us a much improved offense out of the front court than last season, but the loss of Brown on defense will be absolutely huge. Lamkin is a great offensive player and solid on the boards, but very poor as a rim protector. Freeman is an unproven freshman. You put that with Bell and JJ projecting to play major minutes and it looks like we are in serious trouble on D.

The one potential bright side is that guys like Davis and Westry could help off the bench on defense. I wish I had more faith in McLeod as a backup but the combination of coming off of injury and the game often appearing too fast for him last season has me concerned. Whoever we put out there at SG better have some defense up their sleeve. Freeman showing some skill on defense would be a major relief as well.

Donnie and Lamkin will give us a much improved offense out of the front court than last season, but the loss of Brown on defense will be absolutely huge. Lamkin is a great offensive player and solid on the boards, but very poor as a rim protector. Freeman is an unproven freshman. You put that with Bell and JJ projecting to play major minutes and it looks like we are in serious trouble on D.

The one potential bright side is that guys like Davis and Westry could help off the bench on defense. I wish I had more faith in McLeod as a backup but the combination of coming off of injury and the game often appearing too fast for him last season has me concerned. Whoever we put out there at SG better have some defense up their sleeve. Freeman showing some skill on defense would be a major relief as well.
I will take Freeman over Taylor for rim protection. That’s whose spot Freeman is taking.

Sure and because my pockets are full now. At least Jesse was completely honest whether he toyed with us or not. Nice big chunk of NIL.

Yeah, "honesty is such a lonely word"...or so it was sung. Just as it was by the HOFer in JB when he stated two short years ago that that freshman class he recruited was his best EVER! When leadership "toys" with us, can't blame the dudes...they learned it from the top.

I have to think Maliq's comments about "winning culture" was not meant to be a knock on the program but perhaps the roster make up, that Benny and Judah doing their own things and may be on Red not being able to rein them in and by the time Benny got booted it's too little too late.

I have to think Maliq's comments about "winning culture" was not meant to be a knock on the program but perhaps the roster make up, that Benny and Judah doing their own things and may be on Red not being able to rein them in and by the time Benny got booted it's too little too late.

Agreed.

I think a lot of fans just dislike having to hear that their baby is ugly. And frankly, I don't see it as a shot at Red or the program. Maliq was here during a tumultuous two years, with a group of players that had dysfunction and gave two different head coaches a difficult time.

High level, information is out there that suggests that players were overtly defiant toward Boeheim his last year, and then despite being vocally supportive of Red after he was hired, some of them were passive aggressive about the new rules that were put in place. One player was so disruptive in the locker room that he was dismissed mid-season. Three others weren't necessarily bad kids, but gave Red a difficult time on and off the court by not doing what the new culture required of them, and disregarding instructions during games. Two of those three players are now also gone, along with the guy who got shown the door mid-season.

Maliq was a good soldier, who played hard, was productive, and displayed a good attitude. Him commenting on the dysfunction of the two years he was part of the program doesn't make him disloyal. Nor does him departing because he wants to experience the post-season. Wish he would have stuck it out, but oh well.

Also duck fuke.

For those wondering where I also got my stat expectations for Maliq-

This is what he has for SU

So obviously a lot could come out differently especially when you factor working in new guys into both situations.
Donnie sure ain't gonna be a one and done with those stats.

I don’t see how he’s not 25-30 mpg min

If so I think it will be as a multi positional defender with possibly even a lesser offensive role there vs here. In just about every off season clip he’s defending with maybe one touch for a layup and otherwise not a single shot going up or even more than a quick simple pass. Of course they are just clips but almost every other frontcourt guy seems to be featured offensively except Maliq. Grain of salt being just clips but interesting nonetheless.

If the big kid who played for Sudan can stay on the floor I think that may be tough. If that kid is a fouling machine I can see it. Flagg is playing a lot, the other transfer shooter is going to have to get minutes. Lots of people to play over. Going to be interesting.

Looking at Duke's roster, I can see Maliq starting at pf. Flagg will be sf. He likely will continue a similar that he played here.

Looking at Duke's roster, I can see Maliq starting at pf. Flagg will be sf. He likely will continue a similar that he played here.

They’ve got about 8 guys in the mix as possible starters as folks on their board see it.

Yeah, "honesty is such a lonely word"...or so it was sung. Just as it was by the HOFer in JB when he stated two short years ago that that freshman class he recruited was his best EVER! When leadership "toys" with us, can't blame the dudes...they learned it from the top.
Yeah, the class being the best he's ever recruited was a stretch. However, I don't think as much as what some here think. Boeheim couldn't predict what happened last year - guys having to play out of position, dudes not being team players, and some guys resisting buying into the team and Red. This is, by the way, coming from someone who was critical of Boeheim the last few years.

There was some serious talent in that class. Mintz for example, was a very good player for us last year (even with his warts). However, he could have been REALLY good had he embraced what the team needed from him. Brown is a special player, even if he's one that comes off the bench. Taylor looked early on to be also be a special player for us but he was misused (not Red's fault) at the 4 and lost all confidence in his shot and game. Bell is an elite shooter. Copeland, with the right mindset, could have developed into a really solid player for us too. Sometimes guys just don't develop into what a coach expects when they're recruiting them. It happens and doesn't necessarily mean that the coach was wrong with his initial assessment of the talent.

I agree with you here that it is all about Donnie, but I think the timing of when Maliq left made Lampkin come into the discussion. Donnie was already in the fold when Maliq announced he was staying. It wasn't until Lampkin was in consideration that Maliq decided to leave. This could have been random coincidence, but I think this is why so many on the board bring it up.
But Maliq didn’t want to play the 5, which was made very clear, so Lampkin committing here should have made no difference. I can only come to the conclusion that MB was not happy about what happened with Taylor, was probably told by Red he’d be splitting time with Freeman from day one and would be expected to spot Lamp at the 5. Bell is a lock at the 3, so those were his options for serious time. Essentially he would fill the sixth man, glue guy role. Throw the Duke bag o cash on top of that realization, and that was probably the straw. He was basically starting over again next year anyway, so why not start over again in Durham with more $$ in his pocket? I think his comment in that interview about wanting to be around guys willing to put in the work to win was definitely a shot at last year’s team.

He’s gone, and I won’t care a lick about his box score until we play Duke.

Lol in what world is Maliq comparable to any of these people? This is such a reach.

How about showing respect for the program who took a shot at you, then developed you, on your way out?
It’s the truth. If you, who has no stake in it at all, are butt-hurt by it, that’s on you.
Many posters here have said the same, or worse about last year’s squad.
JB stopped caring about wins a few years ago. It showed in his lack of effort to bring in good players. Having his sons play was more important than trying to win.
Insiders reported for most of the season that there were issues with some players being less than all in.
The kid was asked “why Duke”, and he gave a truthful answer. People want that from their athletes, until they don’t like the answer, then they get bent out of shape.

It’s the truth. If you, who has no stake in it at all, are butt-hurt by it, that’s on you.
Many posters here have said the same, or worse about last year’s squad.
JB stopped caring about wins a few years ago. It showed in his lack of effort to bring in good players. Having his sons play was more important than trying to win.
Insiders reported for most of the season that there were issues with some players being less than all in.
The kid was asked “why Duke”, and he gave a truthful answer. People want that from their athletes, until they don’t like the answer, then they get bent out of shape.
Butt hurt by what? A solid player left us and said something dumb after the fact. Its college sports, I’m a fan. I don’t have to respect that.

Im not the one comparing this typical move to Lebron.

Truthful? I think that's the issue that some here have with his comments, that they didn't sound truthful. No mention about money?? How is that being truthful? I don't really care about Maliq anymore but let's be real.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom