Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 74 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

He's not going to play as much as he hopes and will transfer out after next season. Another batch of five stars will be coming. Why do you think Mitchell left? He was a four who can't shoot from deep, same as Maliq. By the end of the season Brown will end up playing Ryan Young's role at Duke.
It’s hard to be this wrong, yet here we are. First off Mitchell played 30 mins a game. He isn’t transferring out because he got supplanted by a freshman, he’s transferring out because they wanted a maliq. Second, Mitchell was a good not great defender, meanwhile maliq was all conference out of position playing guys 3 inches taller and 30 pounds more. He is a bad loss, and Duke is going to get all the benefit.

I wish Maliq all the best. But if starting and/or PT was an issue here that lead him to the portal how is he getting any better situation at Duke with the stud class they're bringing in? Of course at least he can count on playing in the NCAAT.
No power forwards in the class.

This^^^
It's a major loss, no doubt about it. And honestly I just can't figure out why some keep downplaying or denigrating Maliq's special skill set. He's a unique and exceptional player, and we will miss him.
Also, I hope Freeman steps right in and contributes right away. But color me jaded about any freshman not named Carmelo Anthony having a major impact on the team. We shall see
Maliq definitely has a special skill set. He is a taller Josh Pace. Unfortunately, he either didn’t like what his role would be next season, or he wanted fat stacks. Or maybe he just didn’t want to be part of the reassembled team, which didn’t include his pal JT. Whatever his reasoning was he decided to leave, and we need to move on. I wish him the best, but I hope Duke finishes in the bottom half of the ACC standings (which won’t happen). He very well could end up with less playing time by the end of next season if some of those Frosh blossom, especially from the arc. And Duke will recruit over him in the following cycle. He should be ready for that. They do it all the time. The grass isn’t always greener even if the $$ is.

Maliq definitely has a special skill set. He is a taller Josh Pace. Unfortunately, he either didn’t like what his role would be next season, or he wanted fat stacks. Or maybe he just didn’t want to be part of the reassembled team, which didn’t include his pal JT. Whatever his reasoning was he decided to leave, and we need to move on. I wish him the best, but I hope Duke finishes in the bottom half of the ACC standings (which won’t happen). He very well could end up with less playing time by the end of next season if some of those Frosh blossom, especially from the arc. And Duke will recruit over him in the following cycle. He should be ready for that. They do it all the time. The grass isn’t always greener even if the $$ is.
Josh Pace even if taller isn't close to the player Brown is or even a similar player. This isn't the first time I've heard it, I just don't understand the similarities.

I wish Maliq all the best. But if starting and/or PT was an issue here that lead him to the portal how is he getting any better situation at Duke with the stud class they're bringing in? Of course at least he can count on playing in the NCAAT.
That stud class still needs help. The last I knew, they still had 2-3 scholarships to give.

Matthew Broderick Jewish GIF

Go Matthew Broderick GIF

Because that wasn't what drove him to transfer.

It's rationalized garbage from a segment of our fanbase.

Josh Pace even if taller isn't close to the player Brown is or even a similar player. This isn't the first time I've heard it, I just don't understand the similarities.

Yeah Maliq is unique. Not an easy player comparison for him. Defensively he is a big guard in many ways and offensively a do it all power forward.

I think the similarity was in being a versatile stat stuffer despite not being close to the top offensive option. He made an impact coming off the bench, MaliQ had the opportunity to start because of injury to McLeod.

We didn’t recruit over him.
Freeman is going to play the 4, which is where he (allegedly) wants to play. Lampkin came in to play the 5, where he started due to injury.

I think a lot of people would be beside themselves happy if Maliq stayed to start at the 4, we got Lampkin, Freeman started at the 3 and Bell transferred. I’m not sure whether they would be happier or not when the season got going as to that being the team we had. To me that’s the only other realistic alternative that could have went down.

My guess would be money wise that probably puts us with the Hofstra kid at PG at best and filling out the roster similar to how we are now and hoping Chance is healthy to backup the 3 and the 1. I’m not sure how you end up with Brown, Freeman or Bell being sixth man and wanting to still be at SU outside an unrealistic NIL figure to appease.

You could argue that despite a bigger budget Duke is fixing this issue for themselves by going heavy on top freshmen and letting most of their experience go elsewhere. Still loaded with talent and bringing in one glue guy. Who knows if they can win a lot that way but that’s their move.

He was better than the player coming in, and proved it many times this season. We chose a guy based stars and it was a losing proposition
He is not better than Freeman. Just watch some video.
Freeman was a standout at the McDonald’s game pre-camp. He will be a first round pick next year, year after that at worst. He has the whole package.
Brown is a solid, glue guy on a good team. Every team can benefit from having a Maliq Brown, but he will never be the reason a team gets to the NCAA tournament. Freeman has that kind of talent.
If you can’t see the difference between the players, I don’t know what to say.

People can make choices, but choices have consequences.

MB was Orange; he decided to become and now is a Dukie.

I will not hate him and I will not wish him ill, but he is no longer Orange in my eyes. I will not root for him. I will boo him at the Dome next year, and if he ends up riding the pine more than he likes, well choices have consequences.

P.S. I did not boo JGIII.
My guess is that from Brown’s perspective, that’s not really a consequence.

going to a conference rival doesn't reflect well on the program (or the coach).

Note that Duke didn't recruit him in 2021/2022.
His original (final five) list: Syracuse, Georgetown, Virginia Tech, Penn State and North Carolina State.
He also had offers from Miami, Wake Forest and Texas A&M.

Freeman is going to play the 4, which is where he (allegedly) wants to play. Lampkin came in to play the 5, where he started due to injury.
So? There were minutes for Brown and he knew that. He had every intention of staying until he found out Duke was going to pay him to leave.

He is not better than Freeman. Just watch some video.
Freeman was a standout at the McDonald’s game pre-camp. He will be a first round pick next year, year after that at worst. He has the whole package.
Brown is a solid, glue guy on a good team. Every team can benefit from having a Maliq Brown, but he will never be the reason a team gets to the NCAA tournament. Freeman has that kind of talent.
If you can’t see the difference between the players, I don’t know what to say.
We have no idea who’s better. The JG3 vs JJ situation was certainly different because knew what jj was and was not capable of. People thought DJ Wagner was a once in a decade player and he isn’t going to the NBA. Freeman V brown will play out over the year.

I think a lot of people would be beside themselves happy if Maliq stayed to start at the 4, we got Lampkin, Freeman started at the 3 and Bell transferred. I’m not sure whether they would be happier or not when the season got going as to that being the team we had. To me that’s the only other realistic alternative that could have went down.

My guess would be money wise that probably puts us with the Hofstra kid at PG at best and filling out the roster similar to how we are now and hoping Chance is healthy to backup the 3 and the 1. I’m not sure how you end up with Brown, Freeman or Bell being sixth man and wanting to still be at SU outside an unrealistic NIL figure to appease.

You could argue that despite a bigger budget Duke is fixing this issue for themselves by going heavy on top freshmen and letting most of their experience go elsewhere. Still loaded with talent and bringing in one glue guy. Who knows if they can win a lot that way but that’s their move.
The Hofstra kid is a fantastic get. He’s short and that’s the only negative you’ll find. He’s a better passing John Gillon and a gillon like player would be a fantastic pickup.

?? Brown wasn't going to start? How is that an indictment? He wants to start. Just one of those things.
You start Brown at the four, Donnie at 3. No brainer. Bell and JJ split time. Red is too loyal to JJ. Bell does not belong at the 3. With 3 bigs down low, I'm not worried about Bell's D, as long as he outscores the player covering him. At the 2 he might even have a rebounding advantage and his height advantage should also increase his outside shooting % when at the 2. Hell, at the 2 he could shoot all day long. We could have been a contender if not for Coaches loyalty to JJ.
That isn't true. Totally different situations. Who was Brown going to start over? It wouldn't be Freeman. It wouldn't be Bell. And it wouldn't be Lampkin. He wasn't going to start here. At Duke, he may well indeed start. They have three highly touted frosh. They want some older kids in that lineup. Who will play more is the question. By the way, he didn't start at Syracuse until Naheen got hurt.

i think one of the reasons this transfer hits different is that ...SU has always been the school that players transfer UP to and transfer DOWN from...

so in that sense this could be a clear signal that SU has moved down a tier in the NCAA landscape

BUT

for me - is simple - do you want the #2 PF in this years frehsman class..mcds all american #11 overall or do you want brown?

if you brown thats fine...but I dont.

and I get it...you could keep both...and that would be great

but if I had to choose one...I choose freeman + a center...no brainer

sux to lose brown but the sky isnt falling

It’s hard to be this wrong, yet here we are. First off Mitchell played 30 mins a game. He isn’t transferring out because he got supplanted by a freshman, he’s transferring out because they wanted a maliq. Second, Mitchell was a good not great defender, meanwhile maliq was all conference out of position playing guys 3 inches taller and 30 pounds more. He is a bad loss, and Duke is going to get all the benefit.

Where are his minutes going to come from?

Duke is not going to play old school bully ball. They are going to put as many shooters on the floor as possible.

Flagg will play nearly the entire 40, and most likely at least half of that will be at the 4.

Proctor will be on the floor most of the game with him being a third year pg.

That leaves 80 minutes up for grabs. Ngbonga is going to see plenty of minutes to at least start the year, the big from South Africa and overall #1 center in the class will get his minutes. Then you have two of the top SF's in the class in the athletic Livers and supposed great shooter in Knuppel.

So, where do Maliq's minutes come from?

He's not a 3, and in order to get the other five stars and more shooters on the court, the taller Flagg will be playing at the 4. Will he play the 5 over the two freshmen?

going to a conference rival doesn't reflect well on the program (or the coach).
I guess I don’t understand this thinking. Losing Brown certainly sucks, but it was his choice.

This is life in the portal. People would be losing their minds if we took a bench player from NC State or someone else in our conference and anointed them a starter here. Then the narrative would be we’re taking somebody else’s leftovers and trying to turn them into a superstar.

You can’t have it both ways. Why can’t people look at this and say Duke is taking one of our bench players and forcing him into a starting role?

But that wouldn’t fit the narrative of the sky is falling and Red is in over his head.

Let’s see how this all shakes out over the next year. There is way too much hand wringing by some here and others are taking a victory lap before the race is even over.

It’s possible that Maliq becomes a superstar at Duke, but it’s also possible that Maliq starts at the beginning of the year and then gets beat out once the freshman get their feet wet and ends up getting less time there than he did here

I would much rather have Maliq here as part of a rotation in the front court. But only if if he plays the four exclusively.

It’s not like we told him to leave or told him he would have to play the 5.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom