Maliq Brown to Duke | Page 75 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq Brown to Duke

Where are his minutes going to come from?

Duke is not going to play old school bully ball. They are going to put as many shooters on the floor as possible.

Flagg will play nearly the entire 40, and most likely at least half of that will be at the 4.

Proctor will be on the floor most of the game with him being a third year pg.

That leaves 80 minutes up for grabs. Ngbonga is going to see plenty of minutes to at least start the year, the big from South Africa and overall #1 center in the class will get his minutes. Then you have two of the top SF's in the class in the athletic Livers and supposed great shooter in Knuppel.

So, where do Maliq's minutes come from?

He's not a 3, and in order to get the other five stars and more shooters on the court, the taller Flagg will be playing at the 4. Will he play the 5 over the two freshmen?
That’d make sense except Duke didn’t play “shooter heavy” last year (they had non shooters in at either the 4 or the five nearly the entire season) and Flagg will no be purely a 3 or 4, they will be playing 2 forwards and a center without a solid 3v4 split because Flagg can play, frankly, any position on the court. They going to put the most talent out there and maliq is part of the talent.

So? There were minutes for Brown and he knew that. He had every intention of staying until he found out Duke was going to pay him to leave.
And people are blaming Red for that, which is insane. What was Red supposed to do? Open his own checkbook and overpay to keep a guy that clearly wasn’t sold on staying? He knew he was going to play next year, but it wasn’t going to be a starting role. I’m sure he wasn’t happy about that. But what if we had started him and then by conference time Freeman is playing more minutes anyway? I’d rather have him leave than pouting on the bench. We had enough of that craziness this season. Maliq got a bag and a starting role closer to home. It just sucks that it’s Duke. But he could get screwed on playing time there just as easily as he could here.

Because that wasn't what drove him to transfer.

It's rationalized garbage from a segment of our fanbase.
Agreed. I think it was a mix of things. Certainly seems like the behind the scenes actions were “Bronx Zoo” like this year.

Thankfully the knuckleheads are gone, but the experience may have been too much for Maliq

Can't see Brown getting more than 20mpg being that he is not big enough to play the five and unless he develops a consistent 3 ball, he ain't playing the 3, so where will he get his minutes? Duke is not going to play two slow bigs at the same time for a while game who can't or don't shoot from the outside, and cant drive on a guy. It's not their style.

C. Maluach 20mpg
Ngbonga 20mpg

PF. Brown 20mpg
Flagg 30mpg+

SF. Livers. 15mpg
Knuppel 15mpg

SG. Foster 20mpg
Harris 20mpg

PG. Proctor 30mpg+

Plus looking to add Gillis from Purdue

Last edited:
Losing your MVP is always bad as a program. It happened, it's over. If he left for money, playing time, whatever, it's not good. Especially when he goes to Duke. That is awful. We decided that we couldn't offer him what Duke wanted (priority in $$$ or position or a combo), we made a choice.

Our front line is Lampkin, Donnie and Bell. If people here are happy with that, cool If people here are wary of that, cool. Put me staunchly in the latter.

Our guard situation is not good.

But losing Maliq isn't losing a role player. Whether we can improve with who we have next year remains to be seen. Hope so. Wouldn't bet on it.

Can't see Brown getting more than 20mpg being that he is not big enough to play the five and unless he develops a consistent 3 ball, he ain't playing the 3, so where will he get his minutes? Duke is not going to play two slow bigs at the same time who can't or don't shoot from the outside, and cant drive on a guy. It's not their style.

C. Maluach 20mpg
Ngbonga 20mpg

PF. Brown 20mpg
Flagg 30mpg

SF. Livers. 15mpg
Knuppel 15mpg

SG. Foster 15mpg
Harris 15mpg

PG. Proctor 30mpg

Plus looking to add Gillis from Purde
at the end of the day duke can tell their recruits anything they want to hear...worst case they leave next season and then duke just pulls in another 5 star replacement

as an SU fan, hopefully maliq regrets his decision (and Dukes recruiting class sux)

Because that wasn't what drove him to transfer.

It's rationalized garbage from a segment of our fanbase.
Hi Maliq. Hey. Why did you transfer?

Will we ever get a straight answer?
I don't need a narrative. I just liked him a lot, and now he's gone.

Can't see Brown getting more than 20mpg being that he is not big enough to play the five and unless he develops a consistent 3 ball, he ain't playing the 3, so where will he get his minutes? Duke is not going to play two slow bigs at the same time who can't or don't shoot from the outside, and cant drive on a guy. It's not their style.

C. Maluach 20mpg
Ngbonga 20mpg

PF. Brown 20mpg
Flagg 30mpg+

SF. Livers. 15mpg
Knuppel 15mpg

SG. Foster 20mpg
Harris 20mpg

PG. Proctor 30mpg+

Plus looking to add Gillis from Purde
Flagg is going to play the 3. Half that class will transfer next year. Look at this season and the last 5 for evidence.

Flagg is going to play the 3. Half that class will transfer next year. Look at this season and the last 5 for evidence.

Flagg will play the 3, but in order to put the best shooting, and most athletic team on the court, he will play a lot of time at the 4. He can supposedly guard the 1-4, if not all 5.

He is not better than Freeman. Just watch some video.
Freeman was a standout at the McDonald’s game pre-camp. He will be a first round pick next year, year after that at worst. He has the whole package.
Brown is a solid, glue guy on a good team. Every team can benefit from having a Maliq Brown, but he will never be the reason a team gets to the NCAA tournament. Freeman has that kind of talent.
If you can’t see the difference between the players, I don’t know what to say.
I wish I had a dollar for each time someone posted that an incoming freshman for SYR will be a first-round pick after year 1. It rarely happens, maybe the last were McCullough, Ennis and Richardson. Waiters, Lydon, Carter-Williams and Fab Melo might have been the last 1st round picks after year 2. People overestimate incoming freshman. The ACC is a huge step up from high school and the AAU. I'll be satisfied if Freeman is adequate and serviceable in year 1.

Last edited:
It’s hard to be this wrong, yet here we are. First off Mitchell played 30 mins a game. He isn’t transferring out because he got supplanted by a freshman, he’s transferring out because they wanted a maliq. Second, Mitchell was a good not great defender, meanwhile maliq was all conference out of position playing guys 3 inches taller and 30 pounds more. He is a bad loss, and Duke is going to get all the benefit.
Wait we know for sure Mitchell was told to leave because they wanted Maliq?

I really don't get all the "I'll root for this guy" stuff after they leave. Especially in this new era.

I don't blame the kids for doing what's best for them, but I'm only rooting for them when they play for Syracuse.

Do people just say it because they want to sound nice? It's such a bizarre concept.

Wait we know for sure Mitchell was told to leave because they wanted Maliq?
He probably left knowing they were looking at MaliQ etc despite already having Cooper Flagg coming in. At the time they also already had talented freshman Sean Stewart vying for time but he left for the transfer portal after Mitchell too.

How would people feel about a front court rotation of Lampkin, Brown and Davis. With Bell at the 3?

Well at least I would know Brown could defend.

If Freeman is better on both of the ends of the floor than Brown (NOT just scoring which this board tends to flock to), then Red made the correct decision.

I honestly haven’t seen Freeman enough to gage his defense on this level so it’s the big question mark in the equation for me.

Why are people saying that it was a decision Red made? Am I missing something or was Brown on his way to returning when in a span of maybe 10 days declared portal, visited one school Duke and committed?
I am amazed Red is taking the fall or any heat here. Red could have promised Brown the moon and Brown was not staying based on the sequence framed above. Someone clearly communicated to Browns camp that Duke wanted him. Brown went in the portal and only took 1 visit and was a Duke team member 3 days later.

Maliq may never be a superstar at Duke but he’s the kind of guy Final Four teams build around. He will probably avg 35 mpg
Hard to build around someone who leaves a team because he couldnt be promised pt at a position. Doubt this had anything to do with NIL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom