Maliq | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Maliq

So a fearless Taylor takes 10-11 shots in 14 minutes.

I don't think we want that.
If he doesnt shoot open shots, he can‘t play. Simple as that Imo.
if he’s missing everything, he can’t play.

We were down 7 in the second half when we went small and drew even. The alt of not playing him isn’t the doom some suggest, either he plays and shoots or sits. Imo.

Why not? He’s shown talent, he just needs more shots to build his confidence.

I think this team is just fine, everyone tries hard and they do good occasionally. Run it back. Red has them right where he wants them.
Ok, so we're having all these conversations that I think basically amount to the same thing.

You don't like Judah's and Bell's games. I get it.

But that's different from Taylor.

Taylor doesn't have a game.

If he doesnt shoot open shots, he can‘t play. Simple as that Imo.
if he’s missing everything, he can’t play.

We were down 7 in the second half when we went small and drew even. The alt of not playing him isn’t the doom some suggest, either he plays and shoots or sits. Imo.
I think starting is putting pressure on him at this point.

Let's give him a chance to run against some second units instead of starting every game as the 10th best guy on the floor.

I agree he needs to shoot when he's open.

But you know what's NUCKIN' FUTS?

Taylor has two more FGAs on the year than Maliq Brown.

I'm not kidding.

Judah and JJ are trending in opposite directions as the season goes on.
100%. After the Cornell game Judah was 14/30 (47%) from 3. I didn’t expect that high of a percentage to continue as his form isn’t great, but I said to myself WOW! He really has worked on his shot as scouts I’m assuming told him. However, in the 17 games since, he is just 7/39 (18%) from 3. That is just brutal. On the other hand, we have all witnessed JJ’s very solid turnaround on not only his 3’s, but that sweet midrange jumper. Kudos to him.

Last edited:
I think starting is putting pressure on him at this point.

Let's give him a chance to run against some second units instead of starting every game as the 10th best guy on the floor.

I agree he needs to shoot when he's open.

But you know what's NUCKIN' FUTS?

Taylor has two more FGAs on the year than Maliq Brown.

I'm not kidding.
Agree, should have been done like 6 games ago

100%. After the Cornell game Judah was 14/30 (47%) from 3. I didn’t expect that high of a percentage to continue as his form is t great, but I said to myself WOW! He really has worked on his shot as scouts I’m assuming told him. However, in the 17 games since, he is just 7/39 (18%) from 3. That is just brutal. In the other hand, we have all witnessed JJ’s very solid turnaround on not only his 3’s, but that sweet midrange jumper. Kudos to him.
Outside of Taylor and Benny when he was still here Judah is our least efficient offensive player in the 5 main guys that usually close during ACC play. His net rating per 100 possessions is also the worst of that group.

I would have to think the coaches thought he would be better than this. He’s had somewhat of a disappointing season. In some cases he was better last year. We are lucky JJ turned it around or our record could be extremely ugly.

So a fearless Taylor takes 10-11 shots in 14 minutes.

I don't think we want that.
I don’t know what to think, we are 4 on 5 when he is out there, maybe he has to take them to shoot himself out of it or hope by some miracle he gets going. He showed some potential last year. He has regressed so much, I have my doubts he belongs on a high major/P5.

Wanna know the secret why Brown isn't getting alot of shots? He is playing 40 mins a game putting the whole front court defense on his back. I'm not saying that he is not conditioned, I'm saying that when he is the only one fighting for rebounds and getting wave after wave of bigs it takes a toll sprinting down the other way and then having to battle for position again and again trying to find a shot on offense. He is getting worn down especially on the road.

The guy in my opinion is the best defender in the ACC and maybe will be the best in the league next year.

# one priority for every team we play now is take Brown out of the game, foul trouble is easiest but throwing 4-5 bigs at him per game works too.

Outside of Taylor and Benny when he was still here Judah is our least efficient offensive player in the 5 main guys that usually close during ACC play. His net rating per 100 possessions is also the worst of that group.

I would have to think the coaches thought he would be better than this. He’s had somewhat of a disappointing season. In some cases he was better last year. We are lucky JJ turned it around or our record could be extremely ugly.
Correct. Luckily for him (and us) he averages 7 made FT’s a game so his PPG look great, but there is a lot to be desired in his overall game this year. You look at a guy who was also in the pre workout draft process in Beekman, and he just seems so smooth and relaxed out there. Nothing herky jerky in his game, totally under control at all times.

Maliq has made 14 out of his last 17 shot attempts from the field.

The entire season in 26 games, he's only had two games where he's shot less than 50% from the field.

In 12 out of 26 games, he's shot at least 75% from the field.
This is great but it’s also not good, it means he’s passing up a ton of freaking shots he should be taking. I’d take a good chuck from his percentage if he got more shots, much better than the mid range jumpers our guards love.

Honest question: if Maliq or his parents walked up to you and said “is staying at SU in my best interests?” What would you tell him if you were Jim Carrey in Liar Liar and couldn’t lie.
That’s a difficult question to answer, would be dependent on his relationship with Red.

This is great but it’s also not good, it means he’s passing up a ton of freaking shots he should be taking. I’d take a good chuck from his percentage if he got more shots, much better than the mid range jumpers our guards love.
Disagree. He doesn’t get the ball in position to shoot. He gets Judahs “I can’t get past my man so I’ll drop it back to you at the top of the key with 10 seconds left in the shot clock” passes which he usually passes back to JJ.

Disagree. He doesn’t get the ball in position to shoot. He gets Judahs “I can’t get past my man so I’ll drop it back to you at the top of the key with 10 seconds left in the shot clock” passes which he usually passes back to JJ.
I have no problem throwing Judah under the bus for not passing because he’s awful at it, but as little as he passes, it matches the effort of our guys off the ball. Maliq needs to do something, by accident you could have two shot attempts in 40 minutes.

I have no problem throwing Judah under the bus for not passing because he’s awful at it, but as little as he passes, it matches the effort of our guys off the ball. Maliq needs to do something, by accident you could have two shot attempts in 40 minutes.
Maliq rolls on the screen nonstop. Only Q passes to him. There not much more he can do

Maliq rolls on the screen nonstop. Only Q passes to him. There not much more he can do
2 shots in 40 minutes, that’s crazy, I can’t imagine this has happened often in history.

Like his individual talent is so overwhelming that it leads to better results in terms of record, but his inability to elevate his teammates holds the record back?
We lack top end talent, depth, and scoring, so we need him to score to have a chance to win games. When we have Judah, JJ, Cope, Bell, and Maliq on the floor together, Judah does not create opportunities for others often enough to make them better. When we have other lineups on the floor, we basically need him to create for himself and score or we won't be able to.
The guy is 3rd in the ACC in assists - would he need to lead the conference in assists in order to be sufficiently making his teammates better?
He's 4th in the ACC in assists per game, but only 16th in asst/to ratio. In order to be making his teammates better he needs to be using his skillset to create open looks for them, then giving them the ball in position to take advantage. He doesn't do that often enough, and it tends to be his backup plan. He prefers his own tough shot to a better look for a teammate, and often only passes once he's cut off and has no other option.

Sometimes, stats lie. In this case they do.

We lack top end talent, depth, and scoring, so we need him to score to have a chance to win games. When we have Judah, JJ, Cope, Bell, and Maliq on the floor together, Judah does not create opportunities for others often enough to make them better. When we have other lineups on the floor, we basically need him to create for himself and score or we won't be able to.

He's 4th in the ACC in assists per game, but only 16th in asst/to ratio. In order to be making his teammates better he needs to be using his skillset to create open looks for them, then giving them the ball in position to take advantage. He doesn't do that often enough, and it tends to be his backup plan. He prefers his own tough shot to a better look for a teammate, and often only passes once he's cut off and has no other option.

Sometimes, stats lie. In this case they do.
the stat is also impacted significantly by terrible shooting, if anyone could make a shots Judah’s probably getting 1-2 more assists per-game. At times I don’t blame him for being selfish, no one else does anything, whether it be creating or moving off the ball, and it makes the offense stagnant and forces him to go iso

Good lord with the post game nonsense. Do you all watch basketball outside of SUhoops from 30 years ago? If Maliq is actually 6’8” as some here contend, spending time on post moves is just wasted time. He needs to keep working on his shot, because he’s actually wing sized.

And most times he’s playing against the other teams five, so unless he has super post moves, he’s probably getting packed anyway. He’d be far better off dragging his guy away from the hoop, faking a shot, then driving and stuffing the ball. Which I’ve seen him do just once this year, but he did it well. That’s his game for the future.
There are guards that have learned post moves. And having 1 or 2 basic ones in the toolbox wouldn't require much devotion. I'm not suggesting the guy try to be Kevin McHale. But I agree with you. His best bet would be to work on driving past his man. He probably also needs to have a threat of a midrange shot to make driving available. Right now he doesn't even face up and threaten either when he gets the ball. He can't draw his man away from the basket yet because he's demonstrated no offensive threat outside of 5 ft.

Where a post move or two would help him would be if we can get an actual big man next year and he could slide to his more natural position. Against teams that play small ball, having the ability to post up a smaller defender would be helpful. There's nothing wrong with being versatile.

Wanna know the secret why Brown isn't getting alot of shots? He is playing 40 mins a game putting the whole front court defense on his back. I'm not saying that he is not conditioned, I'm saying that when he is the only one fighting for rebounds and getting wave after wave of bigs it takes a toll sprinting down the other way and then having to battle for position again and again trying to find a shot on offense. He is getting worn down especially on the road.

The guy in my opinion is the best defender in the ACC and maybe will be the best in the league next year.

# one priority for every team we play now is take Brown out of the game, foul trouble is easiest but throwing 4-5 bigs at him per game works too.
I really do feel he needs to find a way and take more. Kid has perfect technique will set him up for the future. I still am trying to see how his back to basket game is.

I really hope that by the time Brown’s career with us is over we don’t have to look back at him similar to Marek. Fan favorite and awesome player that never reached his full potential because poor roster construction forced him to play out of position.

Wanted to bump a Maliq-dedicated thread rather than keep adding to the generic ?? thread about his announced plan to return next year...

As others have voiced, this is actually huge, significant news for us. I don't think it's wrong to regard MB as the foundation for the house we're trying to build for next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom