Maliq | Syracusefan.com

Maliq

Eric15

Living Legend
I can’t remember the last time I was as frustrated by any aspect of Syracuse basketball as I am our chronic underutilization of Maliq offensively. It’s pathetic and entirely the fault of our average coaching staff.

Two shot attempts. Two! Obviously he made both. Taylor who is currently on another planet mentally somehow took seven shots.

We have this weapon that we don’t know how to use in any type of competent manner.

Teams have stopped covering Taylor. He has a wide open jumper whenever he wants one.

Unfortunately he struggles to even hit the rim.

Can’t play 4 on 5. That is what is happening when Taylor is in right now.

I can’t remember the last time I was as frustrated by any aspect of Syracuse basketball as I am our chronic underutilization of Maliq offensively. It’s pathetic and entirely the fault of our average coaching staff.

Two shot attempts. Two! Obviously he made both. Taylor who is currently on another planet mentally somehow took seven shots.

We have this weapon that we don’t know how to use in any type of competent manner.
Look I’m totally with you but maliq was checked out on that end of the floor most of the night. He didn’t run the floor in the second half. He didn’t try to make himself available. I love maliq but his laid back vibe hurt him tonight

And how many times in a row do you expect Maliq to roll after setting a pick and not get a pass?

Or when he seals and not one, but two guys don’t pass him the ball?

Q hit him once. That’s it.

And this is all on top of him doing *everything* else and playing out of position.

And how many times in a row do you expect Maliq to roll after setting a pick and not get a pass?

Or when he seals and not one, but two guys don’t pass him the ball?

Q hit him once. That’s it.

And this is all on top of him doing *everything* else and playing out of position.
Im so over it. Sick of the ball hogs on this team

Coaching matters.
Maliq and Chris each had double the assists as our starting guards combined.
I’d like to have Red’s back…but you’re right…looking at the season as whole so far, he’s allowed Judah to do whatever he wants. He simply refuses to pass to Maliq on the PnR for whatever reason and it hasn’t been addressed

The downside of Maliq is that you can't dump him the ball and let him create offense almost all his offense must be created for him. So if our guards (Mintz/JJ/Copeland) are struggling then Maliq will not get many offensive chances.

I’d like to have Red’s back…but you’re right…looking at the season as whole so far, he’s allowed Judah to do whatever he wants. He simply refuses to pass to Maliq on the PnR for whatever reason and it hasn’t been addressed

He inherited a lot of JB's bad coaching tendencies from the last few years. One that drives me crazy is watching a team run off 10 or 20 points with no timeout.

Honest question: if Maliq or his parents walked up to you and said “is staying at SU in my best interests?” What would you tell him if you were Jim Carrey in Liar Liar and couldn’t lie.

Honest question: if Maliq or his parents walked up to you and said “is staying at SU in my best interests?” What would you tell him if you were Jim Carrey in Liar Liar and couldn’t lie.
Yes. This isn’t the 100 percent zone years.

Plenty of players go to other programs and fade away. Continue to stay the course here as long as Red gives his word that he’ll allow him to grow his game

I'd tell to stay. I honestly don't know if I would say that to more than a couple of other players.
Red needs to put some better players around him.

The downside of Maliq is that you can't dump him the ball and let him create offense almost all his offense must be created for him. So if our guards (Mintz/JJ/Copeland) are struggling then Maliq will not get many offensive chances.
Exactly. It’s the only glaring hole in his game right now

I think he should stay bc, as djcon57 pointed out, you can get lost in the sauce if you chase money or go to something that appears better just bc it’s different.

However, truth serum, I’d honestly say, “It depends on your options”.

The problem, for Cuse, is that he’s going to have a lot of options with most of them playing the four and not having to cover centers.

He may even do the nba feedback loop as well (I don’t think he’s going to the draft, but crazier things have happened).

But here’s the thing: he’s getting on the radar of the NBA at Cuse. No scout is going to watch this team and blame Maliq for its ills. And if there was any chance he made the league, he’s not going to have plays run for him there.

He probably should stay, but Red has work to do to fix the team and I think it’s totally fair of Maliq to ask what the plan is.

JJ started hot then disappeared. Justin had wide open looks but is afraid to shoot. Not surprised with this letdown after the big win against UNC. This is the year of inconsistency and it's ok for Red's 1st year.

Maliq has made 14 out of his last 17 shot attempts from the field.

The entire season in 26 games, he's only had two games where he's shot less than 50% from the field.

In 12 out of 26 games, he's shot at least 75% from the field.

Maliq has made 14 out of his last 17 shot attempts from the field.

The best is when he has his hand raised and one of the guards throws up an ill-advised shot like.

Ben Stiller Basketball GIF

The kid is a terrific college player but you guys have to calm down with the NBA stuff. He’s 6‘8 at best and hasn't shown that he can create his own offense. He hasn’t demonstrated low post moves. He shoots a shot that takes a ton of time. He’s a good athlete, but certainly not a great one who leaps out of the building. The NBA is all about speed and shooting. Dickinson and Edey can’t get serious NBA interest and Maliq will?

Oshae has made some really good money in the NBA and they are roughly the same size but he is a far superior athlete than Maliq. i’m not saying it’s out of the realm of possibility that Maliq can play in the NBA but he’s a long way from there and worrying about the NBA vis a vis next year is a waste of time. He needs to come back and show what else he can do. I can’t imagine there will be a better place for him to showcase his talent and be appreciated for what he does them here. Red will give him every opportunity because he knows what a great competitor he is and that is what red wants to build this program around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom