man up marek!!!! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

man up marek!!!!

So are we not allowed to criticize him? Cause I’ve never seen more easy jumpers get missed by one person

He was not good last night. I don't remember him grabbing one rebound in traffic. More importantly he is way too timid on O. IF he is going to get abused on the defensive end he needs to exploit his mismatch on the other end and he simply isn't doing that.

Marek in a nutshell near end of game - Buddy I think sets him up for a 2 footer and he passed it out to Griff for one of his patented 3's, which he missed.

He was not good last night. I don't remember him grabbing one rebound in traffic. More importantly he is way too timid on O. IF he is going to get abused on the defensive end he needs to exploit his mismatch on the other end and he simply isn't doing that.

Marek in a nutshell near end of game - Buddy I think sets him up for a 2 footer and he passed it out to Griff for one of his patented 3's, which he missed.

That pass to Griffin blew my mind. I have no idea what he was thinking there.

Ehh people are sick of being on the bubble. It’s the same issues every year. We haven’t executed in 3 games down the stretch. I get the frustration.
Well, don’t worry. This team is not on the bubble.

Agree. He's just been put in a bad position, so I try not to blame Marek too much although I have concerns about his play last night.
It’s fair to say he had a bad game that helped contribute to our loss last night. He didn’t mix it up downlow, but he also didn’t make adjustments throughout the game that would have helped. I think that’s fair criticism.

He doesn’t need to man up. He tries to do Quincy’s job and he’ll probably end up hurt. Just like any of us would.

Maybe some of the keyboard tough guys here should get punched in the mouth and have a tooth knock out and see how tough they are after that.

LEAVE MAREK ALONE!
Marek is the LAST guy on this team that should be hammered with a pile-on thread.
He's been forced to play out of position and get pounded as an under-sized center for far too long.
He's been a good Soldier. Just last game he lost a tooth and stayed in the game, and now he's "soft"?
As other posters noted, if you have a problem with Marek, the problem lies elsewhere.

For all the passion you state that, it’s the same reason why his play over 32 minutes was disappointing.

This team does has issues elsewhere. But we needed more from Marek. If Quincy can pull down 11, expecting #21 to get more than one is reasonable.

Bad game.

For all the passion you state that, it’s the same reason why his play over 32 minutes was disappointing.

This team does has issues elsewhere. But we needed more from Marek. If Quincy can pull down 11, expecting #21 to get more than one is reasonable.

Bad game.
You don't think he's a little tentative because the last game he got smashed in the mouth(no foul) and lost a tooth against the thug Georgetown team who should never be scheduled again?

Marek is playing out of position.
UNC has a frontcourt of trees.
The kid is tough he showed it at the end of Georgetown. If I got a tooth knocked out I would’ve been out.

UNC owns us because we play a game that allows their bigs to get comfortable.

Could we have used more from Marek sure, you, but the kid is paying for the fact we don’t have any other playable options.

It’s not his fault.

You don't think he's a little tentative because the last game he got smashed in the mouth(no foul) and lost a tooth against the thug Georgetown team who should never be scheduled again?

No.

Marek is playing out of position.
UNC has a frontcourt of trees.
The kid is tough he showed it at the end of Georgetown. If I got a tooth knocked out I would’ve been out.

UNC owns us because we play a game that allows their bigs to get comfortable.

Could we have used more from Marek sure, you, but the kid is paying for the fact we don’t have any other playable options.

It’s not his fault.
He certainly is in a tough spot and plays hard. That doesn't change the fact though that even 10 points instead of the 6 over 35 mins probably wins the game.

Guerrier was able to exploit, Marek should be able to as well at this point. For as much contact as he takes on the defensive end, he doesn't ever get into someone on the offensive end.

Also, this is three games now this season where he has been involved in questionable plays down the stretch. I'll give him the inbounds play was tough and probably less his fault than the guys that couldn't get open, but if everyone is going to critique Joe, Marek needs to be up there too.

So yes, he does deserve some fault when it comes to things he can control.

It’s not Mareks fault that our coaching staff isn’t good at coaching up and/or recruiting centers.
Exactly right. That’s the root of the problem

He certainly is in a tough spot and plays hard. That doesn't change the fact though that even 10 points instead of the 6 over 35 mins probably wins the game.

Guerrier was able to exploit, Marek should be able to as well at this point. For as much contact as he takes on the defensive end, he doesn't ever get into someone on the offensive end.

Also, this is three games now this season where he has been involved in questionable plays down the stretch. I'll give him the inbounds play was tough and probably less his fault than the guys that couldn't get open, but if everyone is going to critique Joe, Marek needs to be up there too.

Marek had one play last night he could have gone up strong and atleast got fouled but he passed the drive.
So I get your point. This matchup is just bad for him.
Elite athletes are tough matchups for him.
I wish Marek was like our Detlef Schrempf who was a SF/PF but for some stupid reason our coaches make him play C.
He isn’t a C and against these athletes it kills his game.
It’s not his fault.
If he could hover around the perimeter and wings he could be in position to actually grab some rebounds. Being stuck in the middle with bigs all around him hurt him.

He is ripe for criticism on certain plays but he isn’t soft.

C’mon 1 rebound in over 30 minutes from our 6-10 Senior. That rebounding performance was terrible.
In his defense, he hasn't eaten since his tooth got knocked out. How is a guy supposed to keep his strength if he can't eat pizza? Ask any elite strength athlete what they would eat if pizza was off the menu. The answer: nothing!

Marek had one play last night he could have gone up strong and atleast got fouled but he passed the drive.
So I get your point. This matchup is just bad for him.
Elite athletes are tough matchups for him.
I wish Marek was like our Detlef Schrempf who was a SF/PF but for some stupid reason our coaches make him play C.
He isn’t a C and against these athletes it kills his game.
It’s not his fault.
If he could hover around the perimeter and wings he could be in position to actually grab some rebounds. Being stuck in the middle with bigs all around him hurt him.

He is ripe for criticism on certain plays but he isn’t soft.
Agreed, he isn't soft, he can take a beating.

His aggressiveness on offense can certainly be questioned though. We've probably all played basketball at some level. There are some guys that don't go up strong and some guys that do. A great comparison on the team is QG vs MD. To say he only had one chance to go up strong is not true. He was on the court for 35 minutes. He has the ability to get to the basket or take a mid range, he needs to make it happen.

I'd sure like Marek to turn what is his liability on the defensive end into a matchup issue that exploits UNC on the other end of the court. He should be looking to be highly offensive-focused when we play teams like this -- forcing those big, strong, slow guys to guard him away from the basket in space. Face up, drive, shoot, etc. Make THEM defend and have to move their feet -- which might lead to more foul trouble, and those guys not being able to take advantage of him on the other end.

That's my main criticism -- he doesn't do that often enough when he plays bigs like the type UNC has. He's more than capable, so not sure why it isn't something our coaches throw in as a wrinkle.

Last edited:
I'd sure like Marek to turn what is his liability on the defensive end into a matchup issue that exploits UNC on the other end of the court. He should be looking to be highly offensive-focused when we play teams like this -- forcing those big, strong, slow guys to guard him away from the basket in space. Face up, drive, shoot, etc. Make THEM defend and have to move their feet -- which might lead to more foul trouble, and those guys not being able to take advantage of him on the other end.

That's my main criticism -- he doesn't do that often enough when he plays bigs like the type UNC has.
He should absolutely, at this point in his career, be able to exploit the big traditional 5s that guard him.

That's my main criticism -- he doesn't do that often enough when he plays bigs like the type UNC has. He's more than capable, so not sure why it isn't something our coaches throw in as a wrinkle.
Agree. Both JB and the Athletic article today criticized him for not being aggressive enough on offense. One eye opening stat differential. His offensive rating is second on the team, but his usage is last among SU’s eight regular rotation players! He’s capable of so much more, even against big teams like UNC.

Exactly right. That’s the root of the problem

He didn’t have a good game. Period. It’s on him. We needed him.

Playing out of position didn’t take place last night for the first time.

i think - and you correct me if I am wrong! - we can root for a player AND also state that said player didn’t play well.

Agree. Both JB and the Athletic article today criticized him for not being aggressive enough on offense. One eye opening stat differential. His offensive rating is second on the team, but his usage is last among SU’s eight regular rotation players! He’s capable of so much more, even against big teams like UNC.
And this is why JB keeps putting him out there, hoping the lightbulb comes on and he started to CONSISTENTLY exploit that matchup.
That’s the theory anyway, but against the bigger and more elite teams in this league, Marek at the 5 has been what SU has been...mediocre at best. JMHO

He didn’t have a good game. Period. It’s on him. We needed him.

Playing out of position didn’t take place last night for the first time.

i think - and you correct me if I am wrong! - we can root for a player AND also state that said player didn’t play well.
My comment revolved more around our inability to recruit a body at center like unc had. That what I meant by root of our problem. I have no issue with marek. I believe for 99% of time he is giving us everything he has. Which at the 5 is limited by his size

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom