Manager in Need of Advice | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Manager in Need of Advice

I said that same thing about 7 years ago when I started my current job. Then my controller quit on me that year, on July 1 and gave me 2 days' notice.

I ended up hiring someone much better, and we got through it. But that was a dark summer. I was on vacation at the beach with the family the following week, doing interviews and accounting entries. So. much. fun.

As for the job jumping, it's the biggest red flag for us now when reviewing resumes. Even though I did that in the early part of my career too. Glad to be past that.

The worst, I went away for the first time in a year for a 4 day weekend about 3 weeks ago. I had a connection in Charlotte and by the time I landed I was ready to turnaround on Thursday morning. Phone did not stop. ( hey can you call into this that and the other) The I say no and I get more people calling me thinking that I really should call in!!! It was pointless. The weekend was great as I just turned the phone off Thursday and Friday not so much

Last edited:
A lot of interaction today due to a few situations that called for it. Nothing out of the ordinary. No follow-up apology, which is fine but may have been something I would have done.

However, noteworthy that he sent me a text at 7 p.m. telling me he had applied for the other position. Not a total surprise, but given the fact that the hiring manager is a personal friend of mine, and he knows it, I am not sure what his expectation is.

Another fun fact - the hiring manager at the other company already called me earlier in the evening when he applied, and said there was no way he could hire him based on everything he already knows.
He gone?

I never commented but I think you handled it perfectly. He’s most definitely gone.
Appreciate that. If he isn’t gone, he will be miserable looking for something that isn’t on the horizon at his current employer.

If he had been honest with you and didn't make so many weak excuses for what happened, do you think you would have advocated for him for that other job?
Or did he dig himself into too deep of a hole over two years?

Anything happening here?
Why yes, as a matter of fact.

Kid has an interview at local company tomorrow. I know the hiring manager and have already spoken with him. Says he’s the leader in the clubhouse for the position.

I was as honest as I could be without throwing the kid under the bus. We shall see. Hope he gets it. For him and for me.

Why yes, as a matter of fact.

Kid has an interview at local company tomorrow. I know the hiring manager and have already spoken with him. Says he’s the leader in the clubhouse for the position.

I was as honest as I could be without throwing the kid under the bus. We shall see. Hope he gets it. For him and for me.
Sometimes a change in scenery is positive for everyone.

Final Update: He has accepted a position with another company.
I cannot wait until someone at his new company starts having trouble with him. They will casually pop on here for advice and recognize there is already a related thread. After trying the techniques laid out on the first page the employee begins getting suspicious.

employee: do you know SUfan44?

manager: umm what do you mean?

employee: all of this just feels familiar(storms out of the office with flare)

manager feverishly reads the next two pages of the thread in dismay.

employee applies for a job and the new manager gives a tepid recommendation and the whole cycle starts over again.

I cannot wait until someone at his new company starts having trouble with him. They will casually pop on here for advice and recognize there is already a related thread. After trying the techniques laid out on the first page the employee begins getting suspicious.

employee: do you know SUfan44?

manager: umm what do you mean?

employee: all of this just feels familiar(storms out of the office with flare)

manager feverishly reads the next two pages of the thread in dismay.

employee applies for a job and the new manager gives a tepid recommendation and the whole cycle starts over again.
Guy isn’t an SU fan but he is a Bills fan. If this was a Bills message board, 50-50 chance.

I have the weirdest manager.

The guy thinks he’s super funny, but all of his jokes are like super personal and cringe. Some of them are borderline racist. He thinks he’s real close with one of the black guys in his office but it’s obvious to everyone he hates his guts and just has zero respect for him. He plays these weird “pranks” on people where he calls them into his office and then “fires” them and then at the end he tells them it’s a joke. He holds these long meeting where nothing actually gets done and he dresses up as these characters he thinks are really funny but are really just rip-offs of old comedy movies he’s seen. One time he also had a “Diveristy Day” where he everyone tape an index card containing an ethnic group to their head so they couldn’t see what it was and then had people act toward each other in the most stereotypical way possible. Anyway long story short he got slapped by this Indian chick.

Also I think he’s banging his boss.

The guy thinks he’s super funny, but all of his jokes are like super personal and cringe. Some of them are borderline racist. He thinks he’s real close with one of the black guys in his office but it’s obvious to everyone he hates his guts and just has zero respect for him. He plays these weird “pranks” on people where he calls them into his office and then “fires” them and then at the end he tells them it’s a joke. He holds these long meeting where nothing actually gets done and he dresses up as these characters he thinks are really funny but are really just rip-offs of old comedy movies he’s seen. One time he also had a “Diveristy Day” where he everyone tape an index card containing an ethnic group to their head so they couldn’t see what it was and then had people act toward each other in the most stereotypical way possible. Anyway long story short he got slapped by this Indian chick.

Office 05.gif

Wow How does he still have a job

Funny update for those that followed this.

Employee that left to go to a different company in mid September left a few weeks ago for another job.

Third different job in less than a year.

I guess loyalty isn’t a trait managers are looking for nowadays.

Employee that left to go to a different company in mid September left a few weeks ago for another job.

Maybe he’s a pyromaniac because he’s burning bridges all over the place. Shortsighted. But, at least he isn’t your problem any longer.

il_fullxfull.2560054647_bfjm.jpg

Not sure how old this guy is but this will probably be his M.O. for a while. Probably always bitchin and moaning about something, but if he talks a good game then someone will always hire him. I don't think in 2022 that loyalty means anything anymore. Young people will have something like ten jobs before they are 30 or something like that. I'm over 60 and didn't have more than ten jobs my entire life and I started when I was 14.

Loyalty is tough these days, mostly due to what OiG posted about a page or two ago. When I move around within the university, I'm guaranteed a 10-15% bump. I've stayed in departments far too long out of loyalty. Only taken promotions when it was going to benefit my current department. My loyalty (among other things) has helped give me a good reputation around campus, which I value.

A colleague of mine, started a year or so before me, has move departments every couple years. She's making a good bit more than me now, and has taken zero hit to her reputation on campus. (She's great at what she does, I mean more that there's no "oh don't hire her, she'll be gone in a year or two").

I just made a move that I should have made almost two years ago. Got my bump, I'm surrounded by some great people, normalish work weeks, I've never been happier. I'm not saying I'm going to jump ship every few years, but I don't think I'm going to just suck it up and deal with crap situations anymore.

Loyalty is tough these days, mostly due to what OiG posted about a page or two ago. When I move around within the university, I'm guaranteed a 10-15% bump. I've stayed in departments far too long out of loyalty. Only taken promotions when it was going to benefit my current department. My loyalty (among other things) has helped give me a good reputation around campus, which I value.

A colleague of mine, started a year or so before me, has move departments every couple years. She's making a good bit more than me now, and has taken zero hit to her reputation on campus. (She's great at what she does, I mean more that there's no "oh don't hire her, she'll be gone in a year or two").

I just made a move that I should have made almost two years ago. Got my bump, I'm surrounded by some great people, normalish work weeks, I've never been happier. I'm not saying I'm going to jump ship every few years, but I don't think I'm going to just suck it up and deal with crap situations anymore.
There are obviously circumstances that are nuanced everywhere. Sounds like those moves happened within the same org - while this person I speak of is going from org to org.

It is a different world now - I guess I am of the opinion that if you don’t stay at least 2-3 years at a place, what value did you bring and why are you moving? Because after a year, how would you know what you have? It takes a good while to get onboarded at a new place of business.

Just my thoughts. I should probably adjust to the times - but there are a lot of factors that come into play as you get older,