Who got the better of that trade?

• The Giants

Votes: 19 70.4%
  • The Chargers

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • a Wash

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
Oddly, the disfunctional franchise has been the Giants.

Once the ‘Big Rug’ Ernie Accorsi retired and the keys to franchise were handed Jerry Reese who then gave control of the scouting dept to Marc Ross, it’s all gone to shlit.

2007 was EA’s team that was finding its way and it all came together in Dec-Feb.

2011 was Eli willing and playing his arse off to win another.

In between was their best team, the Missing Ring Plaxico Burress leg shot year.

Starting in there and continuing to last year, was some of the worst drafting in NFL history.

This is actually incredible...since 2004 when Eli ws drafted along with G Chris Snee, the Giants have drafted 4 players in the 1st 3 rounds to fortify the line in front of Eli.

14 years...4 guys.

The 1st was that bust Pugh in 2013!!! Eli’s 10th year!!

Then it ws C Weston’s Richburg in 2014 who Marc Ross famously said at the SR Bowl...’he could start for us right now.’ Yeah no shlit!! That’s on you arsehole.

Flowers in 2015.

And G Willie Hernandez this year.

That’s incomprehensible incompetence.

They wasted Eli’s prime.

I’m surprised at how well his stats stack up to his peers.

Once the ‘Big Rug’ Ernie Accorsi retired and the keys to franchise were handed Jerry Reese who then gave control of the scouting dept to Marc Ross, it’s all gone to shlit.

2007 was EA’s team that was finding its way and it all came together in Dec-Feb.

Starting in there and continuing to last year, was some of the worst drafting in NFL history.

This is actually incredible...since 2004 when Eli ws drafted along with G Chris Snee, the Giants have drafted 4 players in the 1st 3 rounds to fortify the line in front of Eli.

14 years...4 guys.

Then it ws C Weston’s Richburg in 2014 who Marc Ross famously said at the SR Bowl...’he could start for us right now.’ Yeah no shlit!! That’s on you arsehole.

Flowers in 2015.

They wasted Eli’s prime.

Reading this summary on Wikipedia, it doesn't seem like Pugh was "a bust".

Justin Pugh - Wikipedia

He's had some injury problems and left as a free agent. At his peak, the was "he was ranked as the top offensive left guard in the league by Pro Football Focus".

Reading this summary on Wikipedia, it doesn't seem like Pugh was "a bust".

Justin Pugh - Wikipedia

He's had some injury problems and left as a free agent. At his peak, the was "he was ranked as the top offensive left guard in the league by Pro Football Focus".

Pugh was solid for the Giants IMO when he played, but he was often hurt.

14 years...4 guys.

Flowers in 2015.

They wasted Eli’s prime.

Eli doesn’t have a single season where his QB rating was over 100.
Rivers has 5.
Eli’s numbers are because he is a machine which is his greatest strength and he does deserve actual credit for that and this Era of football has become arena football and you can’t hit a QB.
Rivers has more TDs and less INTs.
Eli has played more games and has the 2 SBs.
Sorry but Phil Simms was better in his generation than Eli has been in this one.
It’s just Simms played in the 80s.

Rivers has 5.
Eli’s numbers are because he is a machine which is his greatest strength and he does deserve actual credit for that and this Era of football has become arena football and you can’t hit a QB.
Sorry but Phil Simms was better in his generation than Eli has been in this one.

No argument here. I also think you covered earlier something that can't be quantified, which is the defenses. Rivers has never had that kind of defense to back him up. Someone here earlier made the observation that Rivers is a jerk on the field, but I don't think I see it that way. Rivers is one of the utmost competitors I've ever seen play QB. He's obviously a driving force and it's clear to me much of what success the Chargers have had over the years is because he is such a driven leader. I don't think he's ever gone into a game thinking he/they couldn't win it.

Last edited:
Rivers has 5.
Being a machine and playing hurt...hurts your rating #s.

Being a gunslinger and not caring about INTs, hurts your rating #s.

Not wanting to take a sack and throwing the ball incomplete...hurts your rating #s.

Throwing, at least 2...sometimes 3, halftime INT Hail Marys, hurts your rating #s.

Playing in the wind of the Meadowlands, hurts your rating #s.

If you don’t have Lombardi’s, I suppose you need to be Marino...good for him.

Rivers could’ve had JP Losman’s career and not been a HOFer, so again, good for him.

Being a machine and playing hurt...hurts your rating #s.

Being a gunslinger and not caring about INTs, hurts your rating #s.

Not wanting to take a sack and throwing the ball incomplete...hurts your rating #s.

Throwing, at least 2...sometimes 3, halftime INT Hail Marys, hurts your rating #s.

Playing in the wind of the Meadowlands, hurts your rating #s.

If you don’t have Lombardi’s, I suppose you need to be Marino...good for him.

Rivers could’ve had JP Losman’s career and not been a HOFer, so again, good for him.

Rivers plays hurt - he's also never missed a start. He started a playoff game with a torn ACL just days after having his knee scoped.

They have somewhat similar sacks numbers...Rivers also played under Norv's amazing 'get the QB murdered' system. That constitutes having a crap offensive line, a 7 step drop, and long slow-developing routes which pretty much amounts to the QB getting murdered on every drop back. Manning gets skittish under pressure...Rivers played under that, and isn't and never was skittish.

If I ever stop laughing at the notion that Hail Marys destroyed Manning's career ratings I may respond to the rest someday....

Somebody finally voted for 'a Wash,' I would have guessed that one would have garnered more votes.

Rivers plays hurt - he's also never missed a start. He started a playoff game with a torn ACL just days after having his knee scoped.

They have somewhat similar sacks numbers...Rivers also played under Norv's amazing 'get the QB murdered' system. That constitutes having a crap offensive line, a 7 step drop, and long slow-developing routes which pretty much amounts to the QB getting murdered on every drop back. Manning gets skittish under pressure...Rivers played under that, and isn't and never was skittish.

If I ever stop laughing at the notion that Hail Marys destroyed Manning's career ratings I may respond to the rest someday...
I don’t really care about ratings, so I was responding to whomever brought it up.

INTs affect them bad I’m sure. Eli throws 2 or 3 half time Hail Mary INTs a year. I’m sure it’s not a good thing. After all the things I’ve said on here for 20 years and you choose that to laugh at, well ok...

Rivers is more of an iron man than I thiught, need to send McAdoo there to bench him for geno Smith...

The skittish under pressure is made up nonsense, every QB has games where the OL is useless and they have to get the ball out quick.

I wish Eli had a HOF RB and a HOF TE to help ease up that ‘skittishness’ Gary Meyers invented to help his position that Ei would never make it.

I always thought the book on Norv was good OC, bad HC.

For being such a ‘great regular season QB’ one would think he’d have more playoff appearances.

Interesting...

I don’t really care about ratings, so I was responding to whomever brought it up.

INTs affect them bad I’m sure. Eli throws 2 or 3 half time Hail Mary INTs a year. I’m sure it’s not a good thing. After all the things I’ve said on here for 20 years and you choose that to laugh at, well ok...

Rivers is more of an iron man than I thiught, need to send McAdoo there to bench him for geno Smith...

The skittish under pressure is made up nonsense, every QB has games where the OL is useless and they have to get the ball out quick.

I wish Eli had a HOF RB and a HOF TE to help ease up that ‘skittishness’ Gary Meyers invented to help his position that Ei would never make it.

I always thought the book on Norv was good OC, bad HC.

For being such a ‘great regular season QB’ one would think he’d have more playoff appearances.

Interesting...

I was just poking fun after your comment about the playoff appearances. :)

We could remove all of the Hail Mary interceptions and I'm not sure it makes any sort of meaningful dent in his ratings. We could change them all to TDs and over the course of his career they wouldn't make much difference.

There have been plenty of articles on ESPN, etc. over the years about how much his numbers plummet based upon teams rushing him as compared to other QBs - I'll try to find them. If I don't post them, consider this a lie and me making **** up. :)

Norv is and was an awful everything. He had a stacked Cowboys team that was over the salary cap and excelled. My cat could have excelled with that team as OC. That 7 step drop with slow developing plays works great with the entire all-star team as your O-Line. In any other situation it's been employed, it's QB attempted murder.

Chargers have been trying to tank to get out of San Diego pretty much since they fired a coach that went 14-2 and lost to the Pats in the AFC Championship because Marlon McRee tried to return an interception and fumbled...so, it hasn't been an easy path to the playoffs. Norv and AJ Smith dismantled that franchise that quite easily could have been dominant like the Pats for years, and years, and years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom