Many reasons I will be happy to leave Big East | Syracusefan.com

Many reasons I will be happy to leave Big East

SaltineWarrior

Scout Team
1. Unbalanced schedule in basketball.

2. Allowing Notre Dame in without bringing along football.

3. No respect for traditional rivalry games & times. We used to play football against Pitt in late October and WVU in late November. Now we have what, Cincinnati? UConn? WVU early in the season? Every year the lineup for the entire league changes in an attempt at attract enough of a TV crowd.

4. Same thing in basketball. Say what you want about the ACC, but they know the regular season in basketball should end for UNC and Duke by playing each other. SU should play Georgetown on the final weekend. Period.

5. DePaul, Marquette and USF. While there are nice stories with each program, the fact is they are not what created the Big East. The Big East was a conference born out of eastern basketball. Deviating from that, it lost its soul. Take on TCU (before losing them), showed desperation. UCF, SMU & Houston looked even more desperate. Then it got ridiculous with Boise State and SDSU.

6. Navy is maybe the one logical thing the Big East has done in a while. Some outside of the box thinking with Navy and even Army could have possibly helped to save this league by creating a natural eastern football union with the Big East. (To be fair on this point, anything short of making the right decision around Penn State at the right time made unifying all of the eastern football teams pretty tough)

7. Philadelphia football: How ironic the league was able to have the Owl football team join the league in such a short time yet they were booted years ago. Classic. That and Villanova's inability to emerge from 1-AA to 1-A.

8. Related to the above point, Villanova's push to keep Temple out of the league for so many years. Instead of imagining how great a local rivalry could be to the league, Villanova saw Temple as a recruiting threat. Ask the ACC about the Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh area or the Pac 12 about the Los Angeles recruiting battles. Imagine, we had Temple in football only without the best team on that campus: John Chaney's basketball team!

9. Providence and the basketball-onlies. The tail was wagging the dog here. Fine, now you have a nice little basketball league that can rival the A-10.

10. Memphis. Really?

The ESPN 30/30 "The Rise and Fall of the Big East Conference" should be airing in about 2 years or so once the conference folds.

You realize the ACC will have an unbalanced schedule, right?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Unbalanced in the case of the Big East was also unfair. From what I've seen so far with the ACC, there seems to be a fairness element to their approach.

SU and other top teams in the Big East had to play harder schedules in order to sell the product to TV. While there will always be some unfairness due to the unpredictable nature of forecasting sports, the Big East's model resembled that of a pimp.

However, they have actually attempted to balance it by creating travel partners and basically you will know your future schedules based on how the ACC schedules its first year. Each school will have one primary partner (Boston College and Syracuse; Clemson and Georgia Tech; Duke and North Carolina; Florida State and Miami; Maryland and Pitt; NC State and Wake Forest; Virginia and Virginia Tech).

The scheduling model will be based on a three-year cycle during which teams will play every league opponent at least once with the primary partners playing home and away annually while the other 12 rotate in groups of four: one year both home and away; one year at home only; and one year away only. Over the course of the three-year cycle primary partners play a total of six times and all other conference opponents play four times.
So basically we will play everybody equally shocking that a conference could actually figure out a way to do this cough Big East cough and wasn't so lazy and didn't protect atleast 1 rivalry for each school. The Big East leadership showed their true colors when they said this past week they want to announce Temple's membership by Monday so it doesn't interfere with their precious basketball tournament which is all they care about. Can't let little old Temple interfere with our precious baby nope if they want in they better announce it before the tournament. Marinatto is playing checkers while Swofford, Slive, Delany, Scott, and Neinas are playing chess.

Unbalanced in the case of the Big East was also unfair. From what I've seen so far with the ACC, there seems to be a fairness element to their approach.

SU and other top teams in the Big East had to play harder schedules in order to sell the product to TV. While there will always be some unfairness due to the unpredictable nature of forecasting sports, the Big East's model resembled that of a pimp.
SU is being pimped to prop up BC.

The ESPN 30/30 "The Rise and Fall of the Big East Conference" should be airing in about 2 years or so once the conference folds.
Why would the BE fold? The BE started as a basketball league and will continue on as a basketball league... in fact, a pretty good one.

SU is being pimped to prop up BC.

Think BC will see the light and move their SU game from Conte? :)

Realistically BC makes sense. We are guaranteed a game in New England every year. I see SU creating an annual OOC battle with either Georgetown (UConn as backup) to help pickup the slack from the intensity level that BC will lack.

I think the existing BE schools will realize their BB league will be watered down...the fanboys on the the various sports forums talk a good story of telling SU to pound sand...but, most BE schools' ADs will love to continue to play us in Basketball. They understand SU fills their arena and gets them on TV.

I see Cuse occasionally playing UConn/Temple and Ruttie in football but no long term annual series. WVU might be interested in an occasional series too as they will need some OOC games within 6-8 hrs drive to keep their fans happy.

Why would the BE fold? The BE started as a basketball league and will continue on as a basketball league... much like the Atlantic 10.

Fixed.

Why would the BE fold? The BE started as a basketball league and will continue on as a basketball league... in fact, a pretty good one.
Depends on the BET. If, in 5 years, the games are being played in front of 12,000, MSG might be looking elsewhere for events to fill the early March dates. And then, the Big East is in trouble.